I rode my new FJR home from the dealer today - Clunk/rattle!/lower fairing issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you be more specific? Did they replace fasteners that were missing? Did replace broken lower fairing pieces? What exactly was wrong?

And to confirm, that was the source of clunking and rattling?
The dealer installed the one screw/allen bolt on the bottom front of the fairing. This screw holds the right and left halves of the lower fairing together. Installing this screw made the ride quieter, with less movement of the fairing when riding over rough pavement.

Compared to the Ninja that I traded in, the FJR has a combination of more wind protection (so there's less wind noise for the rider, which makes it easier to hear squeaks and rattles) and more "plastic" stuff mounted on the bike. And the plastic is mounted or attached to the frame differently than on the Ninja, so it sounds different to me. Some of the rattles were coming from the hard bags, some from the dash. The more I rode it, the more I got used to the sounds. It's now "background noise" and not an issue. Whenever I'm riding longer than 30 minutes, I wear custom molded ear plugs. That will put the sounds even further in the background.

As far as the "clunking" of the suspention, the more I rode it, the more it seems to smooth out. Or, maybe I just got used to it.

Here is a pic of the service report. It's interesting, as noted on the report, that I brought it in with 36 miles on the odometer, and I took it home with 36 miles on the odo. So, if they rode it, it was less than a mile. Gosh! The service guys at the dealer must be really efficient! ... ;o)

Here's a pic of the service report:

Attachments

• IMG_9762.JPG
    IMG_9762.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
The dealer installed the one screw/allen bolt on the bottom front of the fairing. This screw holds the right and left halves of the lower fairing together. Installing this screw made the ride quieter, with less movement of the fairing when riding over rough pavement.

Thanks for the follow-up details and so glad it was something relatively small. I think that's a new one we haven't heard before on new bike setup. Usually it's thousands of miles later and the saddlebag locks disappearing because they didn't loctite the threads. ;)

Enjoy your NEW bike. :)