I want an R1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since everyone else is simply post whoring their bikes, here's my '04 not long after I got it new! :D
P5260269a.jpg

P5260271a.jpg
OH BABY!

Well, since everyone else is simply post whoring their bikes, here's my '04 not long after I got it new! :D

Hey now, that's twice I've been called a post whore and I've got less than 20 posts here! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey now, that's twice I've been called a post whore and I've got less than 20 posts here! :D
Just call it as I see it! lol How's the FJR working out?

Pretty good actually. I took it out on it's maiden voyage (to me) this morning. Rode about 250 miles. Man,,, I gotta get my "sit bones" used to this stuff again.

The bike is basically stock with the exception of Staintune slip-ons.

First impression FWIW:

~ I don't like the Metzeler Road Tecs,,,,,,, prolly not the best judge but I'm a Michelin guy through and through. Get this,,, I just ordered a set of Conti Road Attacks. Hell, I dunno. Wanna try sumpin' different I reckon?

~ That's a LONG throw on the throttle tube. Sheesh,,,,, but when it lites up,,,, it'll float the front end in 1st. :D

~ Maybe I'm just used to a track bike suspension but I gotta do sumpin' with the suspension on this thing. Waaaaay too cushy. Actually, I sorta liked it.

~ I've got my little "testing" route that I take with bikes and I was surprised at how well the FJR felt even with it being undersprung for me. That's a good thing.

~ I was surprised when I looked at the trip-meter and saw that I'd already clicked off 100+ miles. No monkey butt, no stretching,, just need more roads.

~ I think I'm gonna be a FARKLE ho.

~ Gettin' back to my "roots" so far as riding is concerned. The little group ride I was 'sposed to go on didn't turn out very well. Nobody showed up but me. LOL,,,, that was okay. I really did want to ride by myself anyway. None of this "store to store" crap.

~ I think I'm reliving the day I got my new '78 CB750K and struck out for Deal's Gap,,,,, before it was "Deal's Gap".

~ Thank God I've made it this far.

~ Shit,,,, I'm out of prunes.

Man these are sweeeeet. Will probably only get one bike though (FJR), unless anyone has been able to hang some saddle bags on em.

Here's my '04 I had for about 2 years and put almost 10K miles on it

bikepics-165961-full.jpg

A hoot to ride but a little impractical for touring. Sold it and bought the FJR.

It was scary fast. 172 hp at the crank and about 155 at the rear wheel

I seriously doubt Yamaha will ever make a better looking R1 -> than the red '05. Newer R1's may end up getting a bit faster, but they won't be any better looking! :D

Nice training wheels! :rolleyes: Hey Geezer, how come you ain't piped in here on your favorite topic, yet?
I am trying to have some restraint commensurate with my advanced years...... :rolleyes:

Actually, I have been sitting on a GSXR at my local dealer whenever I stop in. I like the hydraulic clutch on the GSXR, and I almost convinced myself that I can be comfortable on it for short rides. The R1 just plain looks a lot nicer. I tried to convince Danielle that she could replace her SV with a liter bike but she's not convinced.

I seriously doubt Yamaha will ever make a better looking R1 -> than the red '05. Newer R1's may end up getting a bit faster, but they won't be any better looking!
Strongly concur, and not just because I have that very bike... it's the '04-'06 body lines that are so awesome. During the reviews that came out after the bike was first revealed, many a moto-jounalist said the body work looked "almost Italian in nature". There is a lot of consensus that the '04-'06 R1s are among the finest looking Japanese sportbikes ever produced.

IMHO, I don't care for the way Yamaha re-did the side cowlings on the '07 R1s.... they broke up the smooth, flowing bodywork in a significant way.

I seriously doubt Yamaha will ever make a better looking R1 -> than the red '05. Newer R1's may end up getting a bit faster, but they won't be any better looking! :D
Don't you mean '04> ? '05 - '06's look like '04's! Just raggin on ya! lol

Don't you mean '04> ? '05 - '06's look like '04's! Just raggin on ya! lol

Post whore. :D

I gotta agree though,,, the 04 to 06's are the best. Not that I'm biased or anything. :yahoo:

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.
Song of the Sausage Creature

Hunter S. Thompson
Love that quote by HST, and I feel the same way.

I haven't read that in years. Thanks for the link. I'll be saving it.

I can go to bed tonight with that "twinge" in my eye again,,,, and won't soon forget it.
upthumbs.gif

Im kinda partial to Yamaha's Blue.....

After my first Track day at Road America, I am starting to have a huge longing for a track bike....

Which years are the Blue R1's....?

I'm sure that I would probably be smarter by getting into a smaller cc bike... like an R6.. but ultimately, for my first time out on the track, in the novice class, the track people were questioning me as to why I was in novice, and pushed me up to the intermediate class....

Im a yamaha man through and through, so don't suggest any other brand...... :)

Warp

My friend owns the R1, he rode his wife over to a diner we were meeting at. His wife hated being on the back of the R1 so he asked me if he can ride

his wife back on my FJR and I take the R1.... When we got back he asked me how I liked it... I told him his speedometer looked great!!! Because that's all

I can see!!!! I couldn't get my neck cranked up enough to see the road! HOW DO YOU GUYS RIDE THESE THINGS!!!

OK, I am vertically challenged but MAN! My neck was killing me for 2 days after that ride!

He said the Feejer was like riding a Caddy...

My baby - a 2005:
FullRightside.jpg
OMG can I have seckz with your bike!! lol

Gary, you rode an R1? I would have never pinned you as someone who would ride one...come to think of it, I wouldn't imagine war child would either :p

Alright, youz azzholes, stop it. :D I'm trying to sell the HD to buy an FJR. Now it looks like I better have a Black '08 FJR *and* and a Red '05 R1. "But honey, I got TWO bikes for the price of ONE, see?!?!"

Seriously, I may have ruined my keyboard with the drool. Yeah, drool. Honest. :)

I want one too, but I wouldn't trade my FJR for one, which unless I win the lottery, I would have to do to get one.

Maybe a little play bike...like a TTR would be better...and safer. Even the FJR often makes me feel like I am 18 again sometimes. That can be good and bad.