I welcome redundant questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80 degrees and a blue sky today....don't have time for this! :)

Wonderful, helpful forum that can be hard on newbs and people who dont use the search function. I have to admit that I exhaust that search button before I post a new topic just to avoid the dreaded flame. Unfortunately, you have newbs who may not be familiar with some of the terminology or correct wording to find a topic as one of us who have seen the thread reoccuring over and over.

Iam outta here for a beautiful ride!

This is my response in another thread where the writer asked a question and was warned to use the search funtion before he got flamed. I got a couple pm's and thought I'd spread my view about new members with old ?'s. My view is that's what we're here for. If it bugs you move on, don't bother to waste your time reading it and don't waste more time being negative and cynical.We all love our bikes and need various levels of help to get the farkle thing right. Our friends and family sure don't want to talk about bikes so that's what this forum is here for right?

Go ahead ask me which oil I use, I'll answer if it will make you feel better.

I've been to all sorts of bike forums and though this one is very helpful its also the worst with telling posters to try a search. Geesh if you think you're too smart to answer the same question twice then don't but don't tell the poster how to post and discourage others from answering his/her question.

This forum is also the worst at sending threads to the pompous "Never-Ending Pointless Recurring Threads "

The fact that somebody wasted the time to create that thread speaks volumes to me.

There is only so much info one can ask about in a motorcycle specific forum and newcomers are a constant as are the ?'s about farkles and such. When I buy a new bike I always go to that forum and ask the same ?'s, only this forum tells me that's a boring question.

O.k. how do you feel about abortion?

What about ending the war?

When is the housing market going to improve?

I tried the search function but couldn't find the answer.

Ooops did I hijack this thread? sorry carry on.

Oh yeah, the search function can be useful but its more fun if we all try to be useful.

Thanks to those that have answered my posts and replied to my pm's, I have my bike set up quite nicely thank you.

I've even seen in other forums where each member will list in their signature what farkles they have on their bikes. At first I thought that was lame and tacky (being a cynic myself) but then found it handy when I read stuff that I wanted I would just pm that member. No "dumb, boring, repetitive" questions to bore the entire fourm with and always got a good response.

Steve
I gotta agree completly. I often search, but it comes back with hundreds of treads. I give up farly quickly, read a few threads......my questions go unanswered.

What I find really funny is that usually in the time it takes some one to get blasted about a question, someone coulda pulled their head out of their ass and just gave them an answer.

Redundant questions don't bother me as much as 'useless answers'.

Those are the posts where the author writes that he has no experience with the problem and (often) that someone will be along later with a learned reply.

Let me ask you a question - Do you ever post anything that's positive in nature, and not a bitch, whine, or gripe?
Let me ask you two questions:

1. Do you ever put anything on the forum that is actually useful?

2. What do you really think this topic is about?

Oh, make that three, what is this esoteric "GUNNY" shit? Last time I heard a "Gunny" was a Marine Gunnery Sergeant, Master Gunnery Sergeant, or a billet in a Marine unit like a company gunny.

The only thing I would suggest would be to take the word 'Pointless' out of the title; then the header is perfect and also not derrogative in nature.
JMO
Excellent idea!

That's a good start to getting rid of some of the cynical, sarcastic, rude, negative, unwelcoming attitude.

I still like this forum and love my FJR.

Steve

The only thing I would suggest would be to take the word 'Pointless' out of the title; then the header is perfect and also not derrogative in nature.
JMO
Excellent idea!

That's a good start to getting rid of some of the cynical, sarcastic, rude, negative, unwelcoming attitude.

Steve
There. I added some commas so it's an "or" situation and not necessarily an "and". We'll give that a try so one can feel like maybe their thread is only never-ending and/or recurring......and not necessarily pointless.

And just for you, I've created a completely new subforum for Redundant Questions. Again, we'll give it a try. ;)

I still love this forum and especially #3 and #6 of the forum guidelines.

Let me ask you two questions:1. Do you ever put anything on the forum that is actually useful?

2. What do you really think this topic is about?

Oh, make that three, what is this esoteric "GUNNY" shit? Last time I heard a "Gunny" was a Marine Gunnery Sergeant, Master Gunnery Sergeant, or a billet in a Marine unit like a company gunny.
You never answered MY question. I'll not repeat your duck and roll, and do you the courtesy you could not show me and answer yours.

1. Do you ever put anything on the forum that is actually useful? I try really hard not to, but I thinks sometimes I screw up and provide some morsel of useful information. I'll try and do better. ;)

2. What do you really think this topic is about? Ahhhh, but you see, that is not the proper question. A more applicable question would be, What do I really think about you? :p

And as for #3, well, if I have to explain it to you, you obviously need to further acquaint yourself with the search function!!!

:lol:

There. I added some commas so it's an "or" situation and not necessarily an "and". We'll give that a try so one can feel like maybe their thread is only never-ending and/or recurring......and not necessarily pointless.
And just for you, I've created a completely new subforum for Redundant Questions. Again, we'll give it a try. ;)

:rofl: :rofl:

JMO
Excellent idea!

Steve

Redundant questions link is wrong. Please check the link. :ph34r:

Redundant questions link is wrong. Please check the link. :ph34r:
It's there at the bottom down below Test. I wanted to show the context of it instead of going straight to it. If you're thinking the link starts a PM to somebody....that's exactly how it's supposed to work. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys into bikes or control?
Control. Fuke the bikes. Who care's about those anyways.

Let me ask you a question - Do you ever post anything that's positive in nature, and not a bitch, whine, or gripe?
This topic started off with a very valid point although it was not original, because the point had been brought up numerous times before both in the forum and in PM's. The point was not malicious, whining or bitching. It was a well thought out statement of the situation and it was, IMO, meant for the improvement of the forum.

Let me restate what I said before I have been on MC forums for 4 or 5 years. If you want me to add BBS's which I believe are about as analogous to this type of forum as a horse is to a Ferrari, then I have well over 27 years and if you add in radio networks, morse networks and teletype networks I go back even farther. Over the years I have been a regular participant in these types of forums but this is one of them most unusual that I have ever seen. It has more admin intervention than ALL forums I have been on put together. That's not a bitch, whine or gripe, it's a fact. Yes, there are basic personalities, characters and traits on all forums. This forum, like others I have been on, has a group of long time users that definitely have attitude issues. Those issues are the reason for the items I have listed in my signature. They were derived because of attitudes I see on this forum and speak for themselves. I've been riding for over forty years, fixing and modifying my bikes myself the entire time so I can recognize BS when I see it. Since I've been on this forum I've seen some folks dog piled and run off because they disagreed with the aristocracy. If you think that is healthy, fine, but I don't.

Let me restate what I said before I have been on MC forums for 4 or 5 years. If you want me to add BBS's which I believe are about as analogous to this type of forum as a horse is to a Ferrari, then I have well over 27 years and if you add in radio networks, morse networks and teletype networks I go back even farther. Over the years I have been a regular participant in these types of forums but this is one of them most unusual that I have ever seen. It has more admin intervention than ALL forums I have been on put together. That's not a bitch, whine or gripe, it's a fact. Yes, there are basic personalities, characters and traits on all forums. This forum, like others I have been on, has a group of long time users that definitely have attitude issues. Those issues are the reason for the items I have listed in my signature. They were derived because of attitudes I see on this forum and speak for themselves. I've been riding for over forty years, fixing and modifying my bikes myself the entire time so I can recognize BS when I see it. Since I've been on this forum I've seen some folks dog piled and run off because they disagreed with the aristocracy. If you think that is healthy, fine, but I don't.
Well shoot, my most humble apologies. In all your many years, you have apparently seen it all, and now.........know it all.

With all those years of experience, all that knowledge you have, you should be able to create and run the *PERFECT* motorcycle forum. I can't wait for the opportunity to be a humble member of what will surely be, such a distinguished group.

:)

I think it's a pretty clean and well run board, which isn't easy to do since trolls are a full time biatch to sniff out and stomp, but I guess the part about pointless is a little harsh, since its probably not clear to the new guy that the meaning of pointless is in reference to the fact that had a search been done there would have been no need for the thread, as a thread, but instead would assume the pointless part is in reference to his content not having a point.

If he could discern between the former and the latter, he would have used the search function to start with.

Just my .02

I can think of one particular topic where we are doing a service by repeatedly going over it redundantly: The oil drain plug torque issue.

As more and more newcomers learn the hard way what happens when you torque-wrench the drain plug back in, I say this can't be repeated enough:

Don't torque it!

Hand tighten with a wrench!

Call it good!

:rolleyes: Two bikers walk into a bar. The first one spots a hot bitch at the other end of the bar and says to his buddy "Damn, lookee there! Miniskirt. Tits hanging out. You know, the kind of women I like...."

2nd guy cuts him off: "Dangit, haven't we talked about women and sex a million times? Do a search!"

1st guy: "Sorry, bro".

Steve - as someone who has not asked any questions in the last 2 years out of fear, I applaud and thank you.

For anyone else who wants to know, I'll tell you why FNG's ask the "same" questions.

It's because a search for 'backrest' produces 18 PAGES of TOPICS and 42 PAGES of POSTS and a search for 'back+rest' produces 12 PAGES of TOPICS and 45 PAGES of POSTS. That's why!

You have to search both, because you don’t know if the person who posted the information you want called it a backrest or a back rest.

Ignacio, I read the thread you linked where you thought Steve might be referring to you.

I did the same '+backrest+passenger' search you suggested to YZF505. When I click on the “FS - New Passenger Backrest for Gen II FJRs, - clearance sale” thread posted by garauld, I get this URL: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...rest++passenger

However, when I click on the link you provided to the same post, I get this URL: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...ckrest++garauld

Why does your URL have ‘garauld’ in it instead of ‘passenger’? Must have been the 'garauld' part of the search that made it 'magical'.

A search for backrest posted by garauld puts that particular thread as result #2 on page 1, not as result #45 on page 2 when searching +backrest+passenger. That’s a huge difference! Maybe searching for backrest threads posted by garauld should be part of the ‘New Member Guidelines’. Or at least his backrests should be a part of the FAQs.

If you did indeed use garauld in your search then told YZF505 (and everyone else for that matter) that you used passenger, then that's misleading and isn’t cool at all; especially when you make comments about ‘magical searches’ and ‘tried to search on and failed’.

It’s a low down dirty shame that YZF505 didn’t know (even after 3 months of reading the forum) to add passenger or garauld to his search but he did know (even after 3 months of reading the forum) that the likely hood of getting referred to the search function or getting razzed was high. It took him 3 months to stick his neck out and ask a question and I don't think he was disappointed in the response; even if you didn’t want to ‘coddle’ him.

I ordered a backrest from Gary a few months ago and I'll tell you what; it took me a week of nights searching over and over and taking notes to figure out the best option for me and that he was the guy to go to. And even then, some of the posts were so old, I had to email him to ask if he was still making backrests for the faster Galaxy Blue '05s (one of the few things I've learned on this forum) or if he was only making the backrests for the slower '06s and '07s.

I searched for a week, not because I'm a patient man (anyone who knows me will tell you I am the exact opposite), but because I didn't want any smart ass comments about 'magical threads' that take 22 seconds or that I 'failed' at my search. And I certainly didn't want anyone to fondle...er...coddle me.

Don’t even get me started on trying to figure out which parts I need to mount a Givi trunk to my ’05 and if I have to cut or drill. Apparently I’m not the only one because Protondecay123 posted said info about 3 weeks ago at the request of University Motors! That is by far the best post I’ve read all year. Thank you Proton.

As for this: completely new subforum for Redundant Questions Gotta love the "I'll show you" mentality of administrators and managers. :diablo:

Redundant Question Link
I do believe we have now reached a completely new low for totally childish and fucking stupid responses to someone posting a legitimate thread.... <_<
+ 10000

Not sure what to say, but Wow!

JW
Wow is right... not the same forum I joined in June of '05. Some good people have been run off, IMHO. Edit to add... a lot of non-admins. are guilty as well.

Hey Man,

The search function on this forum stinks. Many times I'm looking for a thread I stared and have to go to google and search google for the keywords in the thread + fjrforum.com . I find what I'm looking for usuing this method.

Maybe that's the problem, we are directing the Noob's to the crappy search function when we should be directing them to google instead ;)

ag

p.s. Never mind the admins. They are like guys in a bar that never leave.