Idaho Roads?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrb0

Reaction score
Not sure if Idaho is in the PNW region, but have a question. We're heading to Yellowstone area in early June, and I was looking to ride west out of West Yellowstone, down 20 to Macks Inn, then cut across to Kilgore on A2 or whatever that road is. Is that road paved?

Second question, thinking I want to cut across on 22 to 28 north, or go as far west as 93 north. I like the looks of 93 north from Chalis to Salmon. Is that a good road to ride, or do I miss much by taking 28 north?

Any locals or anyone that have ridden them give me the scoop! Thanks!

Not sure if Idaho is in the PNW region, but have a question. We're heading to Yellowstone area in early June, and I was looking to ride west out of West Yellowstone, down 20 to Macks Inn, then cut across to Kilgore on A2 or whatever that road is. Is that road paved?
Second question, thinking I want to cut across on 22 to 28 north, or go as far west as 93 north. I like the looks of 93 north from Chalis to Salmon. Is that a good road to ride, or do I miss much by taking 28 north?

Any locals or anyone that have ridden them give me the scoop! Thanks!
According to the legend on my map that is an unpaved road. I would cut accross from Rexburg on 33. I went on a trip through Yellowstone last year and afterwards we road the 33 to Arco and the 93 to Salmon. Great road with little traffic. I have never been on the 28, but I am sure it is a good road. If you have the time you might consider riding through Ketchum and Stanley and back up to Challis and Salmon. Beautiful country and good roads.

The middle of the A2 is gravel for about 10 miles. In June it will be rough, could be snow this year.

28 pretty and very little traffic. It is very straight and flat as it runs up a broad valley.

93 from Salmon to Darby is in the mountains and very scenic, good curvy road. From Darby north it is like a city.

I would suggest, if you have time, is to stay on 20 until Picabo, then 75 to Ketchum, Stanley and Challis. Then 93 North.

You didn't metion where you want to go from there so let me suggest 43 to Wisdom, 278 to Dillon, 41 to Twin Bridges and 287 to Ennis. You going to some great country.

Phil

PS. The Beartooth could still be closed this June and you will need WARM clothes for Yellowstone.

According to the legend on my map that is an unpaved road. I would cut accross from Rexburg on 33. I went on a trip through Yellowstone last year and afterwards we road the 33 to Arco and the 93 to Salmon. Great road with little traffic. I have never been on the 28, but I am sure it is a good road. If you have the time you might consider riding through Ketchum and Stanley and back up to Challis and Salmon. Beautiful country and good roads.
The middle of the A2 is gravel for about 10 miles. In June it will be rough, could be snow this year.28 pretty and very little traffic. It is very straight and flat as it runs up a broad valley.

93 from Salmon to Darby is in the mountains and very scenic, good curvy road. From Darby north it is like a city.

I would suggest, if you have time, is to stay on 20 until Picabo, then 75 to Ketchum, Stanley and Challis. Then 93 North.

You didn't metion where you want to go from there so let me suggest 43 to Wisdom, 278 to Dillon, 41 to Twin Bridges and 287 to Ennis. You going to some great country.

PS. The Beartooth could still be closed this June and you will need WARM clothes for Yellowstone.
Valuable and very much appreciated information. Taking careful notes, and hope to ride those parts this summer, and camp my way through. Thank you very much.

Hope there's no stinkin' bears to worry about...............................................................is there? :(

Bearinthedamntentpicture.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Talk to the Rangers. They know what the bears are doing and what to do so as to not encourage them. Nothing that smells even remotely like food in your tent. Not even on your clothes. We were in Jasper one summer when bear tasted the trunk on our Gold Wing. I left the tooth marks there as a reminder.

Phil

You could have a lot more riding opportunities at Macks Inn if you were on a dual-sport bike. It's a stop on the Continental Divide Ride (off-highway mountainbike, d-s).

I completely concur with 'Pjturbo's' opinions and recommendations of the area. I've toured through there on both touring bikes and off-highway bikes and it's a great area. His recco of Dillon to Ennis is one of the best.

A little study-up on the Lewis & Clark expedition may pay some dividends....?

The road from Wise River (MT) south thru Polaris is probably all-paved now? Also on the Continental Divide Ride.

The bear-warning signs that the local goverment entities put-up out there are (often) big, have quite detailed warnings, and can be pretty scary -- probably, for good reason.

It's a vast, beautiful part of the country (skip Yellowstone and spend more time out-there -- JMHO... :) ).

The middle of the A2 is gravel for about 10 miles. In June it will be rough, could be snow this year.28 pretty and very little traffic. It is very straight and flat as it runs up a broad valley.

Valuable and very much appreciated information. Taking careful notes, and hope to ride those parts this summer, and camp my way through. Thank you very much.

Hope there's no stinkin' bears to worry about...............................................................is there? :(

Bearinthedamntentpicture.gif
not sure if these pictures are actual Lolo Pass bears, but if one this size gets in the tent, he can have it...

BearLolo.jpg

bearlolo3.jpg

BearLolo1.jpg

Now, thanks for the info on the area roads, going to look at my maps to do a little route planning. Will not be on dual sports, so probably stay on the paved. And as the old saying goes, if you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there. Let me go study the above recommendations and I'll be back with questions!!!

Phil

Perfect!!! Went and looked at the map. Don't know that we will have time to go as far west as Ketchum and north, but the loop thru Wisdom, to Dillon and Twin Bridges is on one of the routes I am looking at. I may push the the boys a little and do the entire loop, but for sure wanted to catch Wisdom. That Chief Joseph was one special dude, one of the original iron butt riders. Just being in the area will do me good. We also know Bear Tooth could be hit or miss that early, one of reasons we are waiting until school is out (the other is my daughter is graduating high school, I leave the day after!).

Is 28 worth the ride? I like long valleys with water flowing next to the road, but like the road to twist a little... where's the sign that says "curves next 77 miles"?

If you do the Chalis to Salmon ride, make sure you at least start it from Stanley. It follows the Salmon river all the way, good twisty road, not a lot of traffic, and on an fjr, lots of passing opportunity! If you have never seen the Sawtooth Mountains, you are in for a treat! If you do go to Yellowstone, worth seeing if you have never been, take the Cody, Chief Joseph Scenic, Bear tooth pass (if it is clear)and back to Cook City. Many options from that point. Drop me a line if you make it to Ketchum and have a great trip! Jerome

Latest posts