Idle Speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard the wheels will fall off, below 1K RPM. I keep mine at 3K RPM just to be safe. If 1100 RPM is good 1900 RPM more must be better!

My Gen1 runs rough and has stalled when it drops to 800 or 900 RPM, mainly when cold just after the choke kicks off. That's why I keep it near 1100, so dat don't happen no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
My idle speed is 1000, thought in recent days it seems to be about 950. I hesitated to adjust the idle because the shop manual says this -

Prior to adjusting the engine idling speed, the throttle body synchronization should be adjusted properly, the air filter element should be clean, and the engine should have adequate compression.

However, since my bike has only 1350 miles on it, and runs well, I will assume everything is in order and so this morning I'll adjust it to 1100 cause it really is a great number!

I have the idle RPM on my '05 set at 800. Measured voltage at idle is 14.2 It idles smoothly, does not stall or stumble and transition when insreasing RPM is a non issue.

But the main reason for the lowered idle speed is reduced CLUNK when engaging 1st gear, say at stop lights.

This may point to the fact that the '05 is, with out doubt, the premier model year FJR! 'Corse the proper BLUE color just may have sumptin' to do with this too, also with speed, handling, reduced weight and extreme good looks!

Cheers!

JC

This may point to the fact that the '05 is, with out doubt, the premier model year FJR! 'Corse the proper BLUE color just may have sumptin' to do with this too, also with speed, handling, reduced weight and extreme good looks!Cheers!

JC
Gunny! +1, Ditto, You got it, etc.....

Latest posts