If you pay for tire mounting, how much?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I support my local dealer. I pay $35 cdn per tire change. He removes the wheel from the bike changes the tire, balances it reinstalls and then takes the bike for a road test. While he is removing and installing the wheel he checks wheel bearings and brake pads. How do I know this? I am standing less than 6 feet from him at any given time. He charges more if you bring your own tires in. Not sure how much more.

Considering the amount of repairs/ breakage this bike has I can afford to have someone change my tires.

I paid two pizza's for my last tire change.
My cost fer a tire change is a cold pack of Coors.
thumbsup.gif

I use to pay $25 off the bike per wheel.

Then I got stupid drunk one nite, went on the Internet and bought this creature (Derrik Weaver w assist arm). It was 1700 banana's when all said and done, and, I could of bought a lot of mounting for that! (hence why I said the purchase was stupid).

It's convenience for me however, only bad thing is I can't bring it to any Tech Days.

W_M807_Assist_Arm_Combo__11826.1346271772.300.300.jpg

So far, friends that I have 'mounted for' have brought me a case of beer, one bud bought me a nice dinner. At this rate, it will be the year 2049 before it's paid for. Oh well, I have it mostly for my own bikes and ATV's and it's ready when I am.

$50 average per wheel in my area, all fees included, driving the bike in and letting them do all the work. I don't usually pay that, but that's the norm.

When I used to race, I'd bring my street tires and rims up to the track with me and my track tire guy would mount and balance them for free (best deal ever though I spent about $1600/season on slicks!). Now, a local ind. shop down the road from me does the mounting for $20 ea. (no other fees) but I balance them.

My local, private owned shop charges $15.00 to mount and balance (Off the bike), no disposal fee's shop fee's etc...

I do buy my tires thru him and he's very competitive with the internet as well...

If Cape Coral wasn't so dang far away from Orlando, I'd be begging for your local dealer's name.
Superbikes and Ski,

https://www.superbikesandski.com/

I've known him literally for decades and watched his company grow. One of his mechanics, Scott, Is the ONLY person I'll let swap my tires as he knows NOT to scratch my rims and hasn't yet.

I'm about ready to order a front PR2 for the ft of my FZ from him this week...

So I got a nail in my front tire, and fortunately it had about 5,000 on the stocks and I wanted to switch to PR4 before winter anyway. My local dealership had the PR4 GT in stock and so I put a plug in my front tire and went on over. The tire itself was a good price, I thought. $161. But out the door, I paid $230. Taxes, $36 for labor, and $17 for tire disposal and "shop supplies". I felt ripped off. I know guys do their own tires, and for good reason. But I haven't made that leap yet.
Just wondering if taxes and labor and miscellaneous run you $70?
$36 labor seems reasonable since they had to R&R the wheel as well. But $17 for tire disposal and shop supplies seems awfully steep. Is the tire disposal fee set by your local or state government? Here it's $2.

My local Honda dealer charges $23 bottom line labor + everything, wheel off by me, regardless if I buy the tire from him or not. Another $2 for a valve stem if I want it. $65 if he does the wheel removal. And he's only 3 miles down the road.

I have a great local shop--was a Honda / KTM dealer that shut down, but the mechanics stayed on and opened it as a general M/C, ATV, small motor shop. They've done well.

I bring my wheels in, it's $38 for the pair all included. They've done every set on my bike. At 70K now, I figure probably 10-11 sets I've had them do. NEVER ONCE had a tire or wheel out of balance. If they ever shut down I'll go into a depression.

BTW, I'm no master mechanic but wheel removal on the FJR is easy, and easier the more you do it. If you haven't tried it, you should....

I've been away a bit but appreciate all the perspectives and input on this. It's always good to calibrate our expectations, isn't it! I feel a little less ripped off, but not great about it either. I had taken a wheel in and had the tire swapped at a different local shop for like $30 cash, which seems par for what others here have done.

I'm loving the new PR4, and it rolls side to side more smoothly since it has no edges yet.

Keep the rubber side down y'all.

I use to pay $25 off the bike per wheel.Then I got stupid drunk one nite, went on the Internet and bought this creature (Derrik Weaver w assist arm). It was 1700 banana's when all said and done, and, I could of bought a lot of mounting for that! (hence why I said the purchase was stupid).

It's convenience for me however, only bad thing is I can't bring it to any Tech Days.

W_M807_Assist_Arm_Combo__11826.1346271772.300.300.jpg

So far, friends that I have 'mounted for' have brought me a case of beer, one bud bought me a nice dinner. At this rate, it will be the year 2049 before it's paid for. Oh well, I have it mostly for my own bikes and ATV's and it's ready when I am.
I a Derek Weaver machine too. Slightly different model. Probably done around 50 sets on it so far. Very nice machine for the price.

Salish, if you have the time and can pull the wheels or set up a ride in you can come to my house. Other than tech meets I ask people to pay $20 per tire to cover shop supplies (used to be a fifth of tequila, but I can't drink all of them fast enough
uhoh.gif
).

I almost always have a new set of PR2's on hand which many have just sent me a new set and used mine so they could get back on the road right away. I always have take offs that have some miles left that I just pass onto people in need like the situation you are in.

Many will have their tires shipped direct to me (with prior arrangements) and then schedule a ride in (or bring their wheels) once they arrive.

Just PM me if you want to in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update, I ordered a new ft PR from my local guy.

Wheel OFF the bike, tire R&R with balancing and a new valve is $20.00

And his tire price was with in $2.00 of the net...

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2008 I bought the cheapo HF tire changing machine with motorcycle wheel attachment, some tire spoons, lead weights, a balancer, and a gallon of RU Glide.

I think my cost was about $220. Since then I added a no-mar bar, mojoblocks, and a better balancer (another $220).

So for the past 7 years nobody but me has touched my wheels. I've probably done 10 sets of tires over the years. The equipment owes me nothing, it's paid for itself.

And I get the pleasure of communing with my bike, knowing the job is done reasonable well (I'm not super compulsive about my wrenching). But yes, I pay about a buck a tire for disposal at my local gas station (they take my used oil and batteries for free).

Just an update, I ordered a new ft PR from my local guy.
Wheel OFF the bike, tire R&R with balancing and a new valve is $20.00

And his tire price was with in $2.00 of the net...
Paradise I tell ya! That's the guy I've been searching for.
Yep, there's only one person there I'll actually let do it (as he knows he gets a $5.00 tip with NO SCRATCHES to the rim)..

It's not worth it to me for $20.00 to have my rim scratched up at all. And my black, 8 year old rims ARE SCRATCH FREE(sticky weights)...