(In)Tech day IV Rescheduled May 20, 21 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to the next one buy hook, or by crook. I'm a fast learner once I see it happen. It's all Greek until you do the first one. Just like anything else. :yes:

Trevor and I made it home safely at 3pm. 4 hours of rain, but still a nice ride with much less traffic. The temperature dropped to 48 degrees at one point in the higher elevations. Trevor has the bike with little wind protection, so he had a little rougher time of it than I did.

Much thanks to Bob and Janet who were wonderful hosts. Good food and good company. They even let Trevor and I watch the Penguins lose a playoff game. Bob made his famous hot sausage chili and Lisa brought an interesting strawberry and pineapple cobbler. Everything was delicious! There was even a nice selection of beer and other adult beverages.

My 08 AE was helped by Ray with a valve check, coolant change, and a throttle body sync. The valve clearances were within spec after 27,280 miles. Surprise, surprise.

All in all, a spectacular tech day. Good food, good friends, and a great time. After all the tech days I've attended,. I've learned that tech days are as much fun or maybe more than a good ride. Thanks to everyone involved. It was good meeting a few new characters as well.

I know there's pictures coming....... This morning I'm not sure I was completely awake. Maybe didn't sleep so well while dreaming of getting into the dirt with Powerman's new KTM that showed up for tech day....... with no dirt on it. As I pulled out, I swung too wide and got off the edge of Bob'd driveway..... after all that rain the Feej needed some knobbies!! After I was thoroughly criticized for my technique, Bob and Bill got me back on the hard track..........

Had a great time. Educational to see other people's techniques and hang out with some kool dudes and dudette's. Intech and Spanky sure put on a good event, we sampled some amazing cooking, awesome chili and cobbler, and incredible hospitality. Was able to score a cool tool or two for my collection, but don't tell Bob..... hopefully he'll still respect me we'll still be friends after he finds out what's missing. LYB (love you Bob!!).
kiss2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
After Ray finally managed to get the blue FJR out of the garage we let him have some of Bob's award winning chile....

IMG_3199-L.jpg

We didn't trust him with anything breakable so we put the chile in Bob's three year old grandson's Barney the Dinosaur bowl.

While Ray was chowing down Bob showed us his motorcycle turntable...

https://vimeo.com/167658417

We also didn't trust Ray with the KTM either so Ray tried some FJR motocross on Bob's front lawn. The FJR makes for a really poor motocrosser and hardly made it out of the gate before getting stuck....

DSC_0053-L.jpg

The rest of the ride that day was soggy and unworthy of photos. We did make a stop in Maryland for lunch and had a nice chicken - bacon panini...

IMG_3200-L.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the weather radar showing the slop we rode through today...

FYB%20Weather.png

We are stopped at State College, PA for the night before making a run for the border tomorrow to the home of socialized medicine and marijuana dispensaries.

FYB%20Sunday%20ride.png

Bill, if you and Ray are going to be passing nearby tomorrow around lunch time, stop by and we can grab lunch at the Four Corners Café here in Eden. Ray seemed to like it last time!

Ray, the keys were in it. I would have took it in Bob's back yard while we went to the store.

He wouldn't have seen the ruts till you were gone.

Got in trouble because I was gone all night and didn't answer the phone.

Forgot to turn on the ringer when I got off the plane??

Hey Bob, that Master Criminal Element Ray was trying to use me as a mule to smuggle this across the border. Somehow it was in my sidebag and I know I didn't put it there unless I thought it was my card reader which it now appears I left on your bench.....

DSC_0055-L.jpg

Got in trouble because I was gone all night and didn't answer the phone.Forgot to turn on the ringer when I got off the plane??
That's a good story, go with it.

Bill, if you and Ray are going to be passing nearby tomorrow around lunch time, stop by and we can grab lunch at the Four Corners Café here in Eden. Ray seemed to like it last time!
Unfortunately I tight for time and have a small window to get through Toronto so I don't think we will be stopping in on this trip, sorry.

Hey Bob, that Master Criminal Element Ray was trying to use me as a mule to smuggle this across the border. Somehow it was in my sidebag and I know I didn't put it there unless I thought it was my card reader which it now appears I left on your bench.....
DSC_0055-L.jpg

Got in trouble because I was gone all night and didn't answer the phone.Forgot to turn on the ringer when I got off the plane??
That's a good story, go with it.
You know where I am going to put that the next time I see him? then he can keep it!
uhoh.gif

Another great tech day is in the books! Thanks to Bob and Janet for their hospitality and enduring patience in putting up with all of us bozo's. :D

I'll add my pics tomorrow.

Here are a few of the pictures I took:

Jeff and Trevor showed up Friday and we got the bike opened up so his bike drew the early attention Saturday:

P1030221_zps9z8cdu5u.jpg

Bill started helping Dave get his 05 apart:

P1030223_zpshuiruxpq.jpg

Of course it rained all day. The tarp extended the dry area a little, but didn't help with lighting:

P1030224_zpswwfwm9ry.jpg

Then Mike showed up on his new KTM!

DSC00338_zpsiooyhsrc.jpg

PJ's bike was all in spec, but boy did that valve cover and gasket give us fits!

DSC00331_zpsjcgqqqy4.jpg

P1030236_zps6dormdrn.jpg

P1030237_zps1bxeeh76.jpg

After the fourth or tenth attempt I think mike used gorilla glue or something!

P1030242_zpsxmegcyqf.jpg

It took all of five people and ten thumbs holding their tongues right to get it in:

P1030245_zpsocizwroa.jpg

I like Rays technique. Good to the last drop!

P1030234_zpsyl3nbrnz.jpg

Bill and Dave decided that the best place to spill a bunch of oil was right ON the speedy dry bag!

P1030246_zpshgltksnc.jpg

Bill had already broken Spanky's favorite glass in just this fashion. We had to clean coke from INSIDE the refrigerator and freezer. This picture is his second spill in the same fashion, but with the new cup he was awarded.

P1030251_zpsgk9kvm9e.jpg

P1030241_zpsax0zq8ho.jpg

And, because you just can't trust drunk Canadians, Ray was only allowed my grandson's plastic dinosaur bowl!

P1030253_zps5hriazfv.jpg

I treated Ray, Bill and Scott to a fine breakfast Sunday morning to send them off in the rain:

P1030262_zpsu3guz19b.jpg

And Rays shows his thanks by trying some off-roading on my lawn. Umm, Ray, It has been raining all day and for the last 10 or so days. Not your brightest idea!

P1030263_zpstfjnl4xf.jpg

P1030264_zpsyk5uc97x.jpg

It was a great Tech day.

Photo dump incoming....I took pictures until my phone's battery gave out (I hadn't charged it since the day before):

PJ getting to work on his bike.

IMG_4221-L.jpg

Open heart surgery

IMG_4222-L.jpg

Jeff and Bill talking over the numbers...

IMG_4223-L.jpg

Fetching Dave's bike from his trailer. Lovely weather.

IMG_4225-L.jpg

The cover's back on Jeff's bike

IMG_4228-L.jpg

Dave and Bill lifting the tank on Dave's pristine bike...it was spotless.

IMG_4229-L.jpg

Busy...

IMG_4232-L.jpg

What a relief...

IMG_4234-L.jpg

Bill's magic spreadsheet

IMG_4224-L.jpg

Ray digging in the gut's of Dave's bike

IMG_4237-L.jpg

Bill picking through shims. Dave's bike, with only 47k on it, needed 2 adjustments.

IMG_4239-L.jpg

While waiting for the RTV to set on his valve cover; PJ starts yanking the forks on his bike.

IMG_4240-L.jpg

Bob playing with his new toy, pressing out fork seals.

IMG_4241-L.jpg

Mike's new KTM...that's one TALL bike

IMG_4244-L.jpg

Ray and Dave fire up Dave's bike post-surgery; it was a success!

IMG_4246-L.jpg

PJ's bike....not so much. Front left edge of gasket rolled during re-installation, spitting oil on start up. Had to start over.

IMG_4247-L.jpg

Then I lost phone juice...