In Torrey UT wearing out tires at a huge rate, help in Salt Lake?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorcycle-ed

Reaction score
I left South Carolina last monday and so far have traveled 3k miles on newly installed tires, but it is clear that tire wear is signficantly worse than I figured. I thought I could expect 6k to 6.5k out of them anyway, but I am not going to make Auburn WA where AUBURNFJR was set up to help with tire changes. I am in Torrey Utah now and will wind up the week in Zion, then head toward Washington State. Does anyone in Salt Lake, or anywhere around here have the ability to remove wheels and get to a dealer to mount them, or better yet, able to changes tires?

Ed

I left South Carolina last monday and so far have traveled 3k miles on newly installed tires, but it is clear that tire wear is signficantly worse than I figured. I thought I could expect 6k to 6.5k out of them anyway, but I am not going to make Auburn WA where AUBURNFJR was set up to help with tire changes. I am in Torrey Utah now and will wind up the week in Zion, then head toward Washington State. Does anyone in Salt Lake, or anywhere around here have the ability to remove wheels and get to a dealer to mount them, or better yet, able to changes tires?Ed
I can change tires and have both new and used tires in stock but I am in Kennewick, WA which is only a couple of hundred miles closer to you than AuburnFJR. I am also leaving on a short trip tomorrow but will be home Monday, June 1. You might have more miles left in your tires than you think if you use the SkooterG's tire guidelines...just run them until you can see air between the tire and and rim...no, I wouldn't do that either but you can probably run past the wear bars if you are taking it easy. If you could skip Bryce Canyon and Zion until you are on the way back home then you are currently 900-1000 miles from my house. Another option is to go to St. George after Zion, there are a couple of motorcycle shops on St. George Blvd that are pretty reasonable in tire and mounting charges.

Good luck!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...5849&st=200 Ed, CdogMan is in South Jordan, Utah. You can contact Bungie to get his information, or, call me or post me: 480-917-3863 or [email protected] When I saw your post I went out to Miss Lucy Liu, my 2003 FJR, and pulled FJR Assistance Directory out of her tank bag. Other UT #'s there.

I contacted Cdogman by pm and my phone rang 2 minutes later. Cdogman is da man!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is fixin me up for sure. Many thanks for a badly needed favor. Thanks to all.

Ed in Torrey

hello ed, what kind of tires are you running. are you riding mostly interstates? i am curious because i just found my metzler rear down to the metal 400 miles from home. i was lucky to find a yamaha dealer in enterprise, oregon and paid the price $$$. i was shocked how fast my tire went south!! these monsters can really eat tires. I am just curious. thanks, jerome

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...5849&st=200 Ed, CdogMan is in South Jordan, Utah. You can contact Bungie to get his information, or, call me or post me: 480-917-3863 or [email protected] When I saw your post I went out to Miss Lucy Liu, my 2003 FJR, and pulled FJR Assistance Directory out of her tank bag. Other UT #'s there.

I contacted Cdogman by pm and my phone rang 2 minutes later. Cdogman is da man!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is fixin me up for sure. Many thanks for a badly needed favor. Thanks to all.

Ed in Torrey
Cdogman - kudos to you for helping Ed on his Epic Journey!

BG

As my Grandpa Dick used to say, "What you give, you shall receive ten-fold." In more modern parlance, what goes around, comes around. It's always a good thing to help those in distress. They learn by your example, then help others. Here in Montana, it can also be a matter of life and death. We've "rescued" three distressed float parties off the Jefferson River from my family property. I was "rescued" off the Lower Yellowstone back in about 1975. It came around and now goes around.

cdogman and motorcycle ed are good examples of how well this world could work.

Heck.. Orangvale saved my ass a couple years ago.. Comin down off Donner pass into Sacramento with a plugged tire and air escaping around it..

He had me set up for a drive in at the Roseville Yammi shop at closing time. They waited for me and he met me there to ensure I was squared away.

Just payin it forward guys.. Sides. He is on my turf.. I want him to have a good time.. Got my states rep to think about here on our twisties..

Last edited by a moderator:
And Cdog throws a mean backyard cookout, too! (Complete with fine Scotch and tons-o-beer....and golf carts.)
That was fun huh..

Jumping golf carts.. I know those pictures are on this site somewhere too.. LMAO

When you gonna stop buy again Gunn?? Bring the missus and see if I can get us in trouble........ again

Another member's ride smoothed. Good on the dogman. :)

I remember Cdog riding on that new dual compound Pilot Power on the way to Yosemite, too -- almost exactly 2 years ago. Who can forget his Givi full of beer in the motel parking lot. And Andrew showing up there for food and drinks that nite, too. I miss that guy, and TWN, who also made it for that night and the next day. Only 2 years ago!!! :cry:

When you gonna stop buy again Gunn?? Bring the missus and see if I can get us in trouble........ again
Well, I woulda been up there this coming weekend...tomorrow actually...had I not bailed on WSBK. Me and a buddy were gonna ride up (the guy who bought TurboDave's '05 FJR) but both of us got busy and broke all at the same time. Just moved the Mrs. into a new casa last weekend and things are still pretty hectic 'round the Vegas household. I'm off to head up there right after work to babysit the builder for some last minute touch-ups all day tomorrow. Good times. Anyhow, I may pass through right after WFO this year on my way back to Sin City. If I do, I'll very likely have my little buddy (my 12 year old son, Nicky Tomatoes) with me. He'd love the golf cart Olympics. Still planning and scheduling right now, but I'll keep you posted. I assure you that I won't pass through your 'hood w/out letting you know first. Too many great times at your place to just keep on drivin' by.