Indianapolis, IN - Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Liquid, yes that state called Illinois is a flat straight obstacle! PM when you will be out here next, we can gather a little posse and go for a ride. Sure would like to see what you do in much curvier roads than we rode at Hooterville!
You rode straight roads in Hooterville? You musta been near Pixley then.
Not straight, but not very tight curves in the section that our two groups merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm trying to be a little more 'mature' on public roads... but we need to put your tires on a racetrack sometime, Allen. I think you'd be a natural! It's a fine little tire-eater over by Putnamville. (Putnam Park). If you don't have a sportier mount, you could tape the lights up on the FJR and let her eat!

It was fun meeting and riding with you. I hope to make Hooterville again this year. :)

I'll second riding with whomever if you come to town John. If you are going to be out a Putnam, I will buy a ticket to watch the fun. I am too much of a chicken to put my FJR on the track, however I am down to watch it happen.

I would like to be on the text list for rides too- but I am in the same boat as Kyle- could only make maybe 5% of the invitations because of job and travel and other obligations. However I would show up whenever possible. There isn't much good riding north of Indy and I certainly prefer southern Indiana ( although not sure I want to get back on a bike after a visit to the Story tavern- usually go there in the car and the wife drives home
smile.png
).
I have family in Columbus IN and spend a lot of time there so meeting up for a ride might not involve so much distance.
Just stick with the one drink for each wheel rule and you will be fine.

I would like to be on the text list for rides too- but I am in the same boat as Kyle- could only make maybe 5% of the invitations because of job and travel and other obligations. However I would show up whenever possible. There isn't much good riding north of Indy and I certainly prefer southern Indiana ( although not sure I want to get back on a bike after a visit to the Story tavern- usually go there in the car and the wife drives home
smile.png
).
I have family in Columbus IN and spend a lot of time there so meeting up for a ride might not involve so much distance.
Just stick with the one drink for each wheel rule and you will be fine.
Yeah- one or none works most places- the problem with the Story tavern is that I like it way too much and it is too easy to burrow in at the bar and shoot the breeze with the locals and the employees, and the tourists. It has a very eclectic feel to it and the sort of people that gravitate there are in my comfort zone. I also like their craft beers and the food, so usually stay much longer than planned. When out riding I need to either stay out of bars or go to ones that I like a lot less.

I like the "one drink for each wheel" rule-
smile.png

We used to like to eat in the bar but they started serving us from the hot dog and hamburger stand out back? I can get that food anywhere so it makes it easy for me to stick to the 2 drink rule.

We used to like to eat in the bar but they started serving us from the hot dog and hamburger stand out back? I can get that food anywhere so it makes it easy for me to stick to the 2 drink rule.
I guess we have been lucky and always had the dining room menu . . . . making it much harder to limit drinking.

I guess we have been lucky and always had the dining room menu . . . . making it much harder to limit drinking.
Worse yet- the Salt Creek Winery down the road has some decent stuff too and it's a nice ride up to it- ala Deliverance !

Hey fellas. I'm back from NYC, had a great time with my wife, and now I'm ready to put some miles on the bike.

I'm hoping to get out this Sunday immediately after church, say 12:30ish. So, if any of you would like to join me, you're more than welcomed. I'm planning on heading south on SR135, taking 44 west to 37, the 252 east to SR135, taking that to merge into 46 through Nashville and into Bloomington. From there we'll see how everyone is feeling. I always enjoying going down to 58 or grabbing 45 back towards Bean Blossom.

Feel free to post here if interested. Those of you who already have my cell, shoot me a text. Either way, we'll figure out a great meeting place, probably around Stones Crossing Rd. & SR135.

off topic question. I'm heading to south east Ohio in a few week and the gps has got me routed to go through Indianapolis via highway 65 to highway 70 at lunch time on a Thursday. Should I avoid it, or should it be ok ? thanks in advance.

At lunch time you will be ok. Just not am or pm rush hour. On a side note, we should all figure out how to meet and rid the rest of the way!

135 is closed 9 miles north of Nashville. Don't know why, saw the sign Sunday,

45 is or will be closed around Helmsburg. You can take local roads around this one. Bridge replacement

I'm down in Columbus.

I would be ok with meeting somewhere around Indy, but if I get stuck in traffic in Chicago who knows what time I will get there

Worse yet- the Salt Creek Winery down the road has some decent stuff too and it's a nice ride up to it- ala Deliverance !
Is it paved or gravel up that way?

Is it paved or gravel up that way?
It's paved, up to the driveway and parking lot for the Salt Creek Winery, so you have about 100 yards of crushed limestone when you get to the winery.

IMHO they have some decent wines too . . . .

135 is closed 9 miles north of Nashville. Don't know why, saw the sign Sunday,
45 is or will be closed around Helmsburg. You can take local roads around this one. Bridge replacement

I'm down in Columbus.
The bridge just south of Morgantown is closed for repair but you can veer left past the flashers in Morgantown onto Bloomington Pike which will take you to 45, turn left to go to Bean Blossom.