IndianaTom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all for the support. Tom is back in Louisville tonight, and he is scheduled to have a procedure done tomorrow that will install a permanent drain. We are hoping that this will allow the fluid to drain, relieving the pressure inside his head, and hopefully he can start to get better.

As far as the $$ assistance, I am really not sure what bills Tom and his wife are building up. At some point in time a rally/ride in to visit with Tom might be an idea, but not sure at this time. I will post up more when I know about Tom's procedure tomorrow.

Miguel, so sorry to hear about your brother. My thoughts and prayers to your brother, you, and your family.

Keep up the prayers all. Tom can use all the help he can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for keeping us posted on Tom's progress. I will send another ecard, hoping it may help.

Yeah, thanks very much. Boy, I am sure wishing for the best, here.

I feel for everyone involved,

Heidi

Update: Drainprocedure was postponed for now. Seems Tom can't seem to do anything according to plan, and he has developed a blood clot in his leg. The clot is located in a location that has the Dr's a bit concerned and they decided to install a filter, as they were concerned that the clot could move to his lungs. They say it's a simple procedure, but it does put off the drain install for now. They are scheduling the drain install for Tuesday.

Thanks for the support.

Tom:

Our family has you in their prayers. We are pulling for you and a speedy recovery.

Thanks for all of the updates.

Update from Vonda, finally good news!!!!!!

Hello friends,

Well, the visit to Indy was cancelled. After discussion with the Indy doc, it was decided the procedure wasn't necessary, and that it was time to go ahead with the permanent shunts. Monday night, Tom was in surgery for several hours. He got the permanent shunt installed on the left side. The right side proved a little troublesome, so it was postponed to let Tom rest and recover.

Tuesday was his birthday, and he had a really good day. The nurses made a fuss over him. They were able to put him in a "cardiac chair"--like a big wheelchair, and wheel him around the ICU. They sang "Happy Birthday" to him. Dan and Rebecca went to visit, and Dan showed him a video of a new game coming out; Tom was able to watch it all, very interested, and they think he said "cool" when it was over. This of course all wore him out and he promptly fell asleep.

I went down today. The latest CAT scan was "his best ever". Apparently, even with a shunt on only the left side, both sides seem to be draining well. They are going to leave well enough alone for a few days, and re-scan. It is possible he may be moved out of ICU later in the week to a regular room. Then hopefully just a short stay before rehab.

I asked him if I was getting fat, and he nodded yes. I showed him the baby pics, and he rubbed my belly. Then, of course, I lost it. In a good way.

Keep your fingers crossed....

V

Vonda Lee Heverly

What a heart-touching letter, Vonda. I am so very happy to hear the good news about Tom. Really looking forward to seeing you BOTH again in the future,

Heidi

PS... congrats on the new addition to the family

Great news, Tom is out of ICU! He also said his name, "Tom," and during an assessment, they pinched him, and he said, "ouch."

Small steps, but encouraging non-the-less!

I am eagerly awaiting the day he can eat again, I've already told him I'm bringing my BBQ into the hospital courtyard and cooking him a fat steak!

Awesome... absolutely awesome.

Next thing that you know, he'll be riding with us.

Thanks for the update, Keith. Please tell him that I said, hello.

So, did he roll his eyes when you told him about your crash?

So, did he roll his eyes when you told him about your crash?
Saw Tom yesterday, and was by far the best visit I've had with him since this whole thing went down.

Tom was very alert, held his head up the whole time, and seemed to follow everything that was said during the conversations.

Yes Heidi, he rolled his eyes and shrugged at me. The look I got was certainly a, "Oh geez, not again."

Tom still has a long way to go, he had a lot of diffuculty supporting his weight with his trunk when the Physical Therapist came. He is definately moving in the right direction. Tom really hasn't moved much in 2 months, so it will take time to build those muscles back up.

Vonda is thrilled to have "Tom," back. She gets responses from him, sarcastic looks, and he even squeeks out a word every now and then.

Hello all,

I just want to give a big THANK YOU to all who participated in Tom's birthday bash, regardless if you participated physically, by phone, or just in thoughts and prayers for the party/work bee that occurred at Tom's house this month. So much was accomplished and Tom's wife was very appreciative. Everyting was completed that she needed help with, and really lifted her spirits.

That being said, Tom has been moved from the Hospital to a rehab facility. He has been moved to Christopher East into the Pathways program (for brain injury and stroke patients). This is a skilled nursing facility where he will stay until he is able to do more than 3 hours of therapy a day. He is also able to receive the small amount of nursing care he still requires, such as IV antibiotics.

Christopher East is located at 4200 Browns Lane. It is only a few minutes from where he was at Baptist East. He is in Room 309. Visiting hours are 4:30-8:30 on weekdays and 10-8:30 on weekends. I would encourage anyone who can visit to please do so. This place has a good reputation, but it is dreary. Also, you can get in, but you can't get out. Without the nurse buzzing, anyway. He was fortunate enough to get one of the only 2 private rooms.

That being said, he has already started therapy, and will probably be extremely tired at first. If you go during the week, he may be sleeping, but I would encourage you to at least wake him up to say hi and see how he is doing.

We are hoping for a fairly short stay here, until he is well enough to be transferred to a rehab facility where he can get all day therapy. It depends on how quickly he progresses.

I know some of you are following this thread, and again I and Tom's family appreciate all you have done, and all your thoughts and prayers.

A special thank you to Keithaba for all you have done. You are truly a great person and friend.

More to follow I am sure.

Great news!

Thanks for the update, Jeff.

You're right about Christopher E. It has a good reputation, but no clinical facility is fun. I'll make a point to go see Tom tomorrow afternoon.

Keith, have you told him about your latest getoff? He'll probably get a kick out of that.

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that I had the pleasant experience of having a semi-one way conversation with Tom yesterday. Seems that Tom was very much awake and alert yesterday, and while that was the case, Tom's wife called me on the phone. (I am in NY). And Tom was able to hold the phone in his left hand (Still no mobility on his right side) and listen to the latest updates from his hometown, and his brothers life. I was able to get an occasional grunting sound from Tom, which is an improvement from his past condition.

Hoping he is getting better, and letting everyone know that he welcomes any visitors. Hoping people can keep him stimultaed.

Thanks again.

Hey all,
Just wanted to let you know that I had the pleasant experience of having a semi-one way conversation with Tom yesterday. Seems that Tom was very much awake and alert yesterday, and while that was the case, Tom's wife called me on the phone. (I am in NY). And Tom was able to hold the phone in his left hand (Still no mobility on his right side) and listen to the latest updates from his hometown, and his brothers life. I was able to get an occasional grunting sound from Tom, which is an improvement from his past condition.

Hoping he is getting better, and letting everyone know that he welcomes any visitors. Hoping people can keep him stimultaed.

Thanks again.
Great news. thank you for the update.......will keep Tom and his family in our thoughts and prayers....