IndianaTom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for such a long delay in updates for Tom. For those of you interested, here is a brief summary of the latest and greatest on Tom.

We had a family meeting with Tom's therapists, nurses and doctor yesterday. Each person told us what Tom had been doing since his admission. We will have a meeting every 30 days to update his progress.

Overall, they are very pleased with how he is doing. Mainly during this time, they have just been getting his level of alertness and awareness up. Each therapist has seen progress. The speech therapist was especially pleased because yesterday was the first day she had seen some real progress. Tom was able to say his first and last name, and several common words. We also saw this Wednesday evening. He got out a few words, but overall was better able to communicate what he needed, between words and nods.

The doctor, a neuropsychologist, says that at this point it is just too early to tell what Tom's outcome is going to be. I think he gave us a speech he gives everyone at this point, with a few specifics geared to Tom. Basically, every brain injury is different and you just can't tell. But he was pleased with what had happened so far.

Some things for us all to keep in mind if you are visiting: most people in his situation are not able to make new memories at this stage. This is why he doesn't remember the hospital. The doctor said he may not remember his stay here either.

Also, when you are there, just be reassuring and positive (like we weren't anyway).

He also said, and this made me feel a little better, that Tom is most likely not fully aware of his situation; this means he is not like his old self trapped in this situation, thinking, "Life sucks". His mind and consciousness are "patchy" at this point.

What is best for Tom at this point is to do as much intensive rehab at this facility as possible, then possibly have a short stay at Southern IN Rehab. This is because the Rehab usually only keeps people 2-6 weeks, and their goal is to discharge you home. So, expect him to be at Pathways for some time.

Tom's wifes next ultrasound is next Wednesday. We'll try to see again what the sex is.

Thanks,

Thank you for the update.....It sounds like things are going in the right direction! Will keep the prayers going!

Roy and Sherrie

I'm pulling for you bud. Glad to hear of positive progress. Hopefully, soon this will all be a distant memory. Thanks for the update PD, Heidi

Another update:

Tom's wife had her ultrasound last week. It's a girl, seems no doubt about it. No name yet, kind of waiting until Tom can help a little more.

And speaking of Tom, he seems to be progressing very well. This weekend, he was really trying to talk. He got so frustrated, though, listening to me on the phone and not being able to say what he wanted that he was able to cuss. I've never been so happy to hear the S word!

Saturday, Tom's wife's family came to visit. Tom practically insisted on sitting up on the edge of the bed, supported on his right side by her brother. Her dad told Tom that when Tom was able to "take him" (ie beat up her dad), he could leave. Tom reached across the bed and tried to grab him!

Sunday, several friends came. Tom was dressed and put in his wheelchair, and was taken outside for little bit (he thought it was too hot), then sat in the sunroom for the rest of the visit. It was good to have him out of his bed. He waved hello to people he passed in the hall.

After all this excitement, he slept for about 4 1/2 hours Sunday afternoon, but overall it was a great weekend fpr Tom.

I think he is much more aware of his situation now, and the therapists say that is usually better for motivation, as in, now he knows what he has to do, and may work harder to get there.

He still does not seem to be forming new memories, so if you visit, keep that in mind. He remembers things fine from before the surgery, but most things since are not there. Even from visit to visit with his wife, he doesn't always remember what they talked about. This will come back too as he heals.

Thanks again for all your support.

Another update:
Tom's wife had her ultrasound last week. It's a girl, seems no doubt about it. No name yet, kind of waiting until Tom can help a little more.

And speaking of Tom, he seems to be progressing very well. This weekend, he was really trying to talk. He got so frustrated, though, listening to me on the phone and not being able to say what he wanted that he was able to cuss. I've never been so happy to hear the S word!

Saturday, Tom's wife's family came to visit. Tom practically insisted on sitting up on the edge of the bed, supported on his right side by her brother. Her dad told Tom that when Tom was able to "take him" (ie beat up her dad), he could leave. Tom reached across the bed and tried to grab him!

Sunday, several friends came. Tom was dressed and put in his wheelchair, and was taken outside for little bit (he thought it was too hot), then sat in the sunroom for the rest of the visit. It was good to have him out of his bed. He waved hello to people he passed in the hall.

After all this excitement, he slept for about 4 1/2 hours Sunday afternoon, but overall it was a great weekend fpr Tom.

I think he is much more aware of his situation now, and the therapists say that is usually better for motivation, as in, now he knows what he has to do, and may work harder to get there.

He still does not seem to be forming new memories, so if you visit, keep that in mind. He remembers things fine from before the surgery, but most things since are not there. Even from visit to visit with his wife, he doesn't always remember what they talked about. This will come back too as he heals.

Thanks again for all your support.
What hugely encouraging news! I am so pleased to hear... of Tom's progress & the eventual arrival of the "female" baby.

C'mon Tom, were still pulling for ya'. EOM is going to miss you this year.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friends,

Things are progressing pretty well for Tom. He's been at the nursing facility for 7 weeks now. He still does not have any movement on the right side, but does feel touch. He has been working on standing for the last week (a big step), and on being able to get from bed to wheelchair. He can't do this "officially" yet, but they are practicing in therapy.

Excellent news: he started getting some real food this week. He hasn't had food for 4 months. He tried some mashed potatoes, and the therapist working with him reported that he said "wow". He was also able to try, at different times, meatloaf, baked potato, broccoli soup, and lima beans. He is not eating full meals, only trying these things to make sure he is swallowing correctly.

He is not speaking much to his wife at all, though his speech therapist says he is making good progress. At times he has been able to write a word, but not often. He seems to do his best when he is on the phone with his brother, maybe the spontaneity of it?

Medically, Tom came down with oral thrush again; this has been/is being treated, and is much much better. About 10 days ago, he got C. diff, an intestinal infection. This has taken some of the wind out of his sails, but he is on a 2 week course of antibiotics and doing better.

On the down side: our insurance company is not liking Tom's extended stay. We may be getting ready to do some battling with them. They want him to move on to a rehab facility (i.e. Southern Indiana Rehab), but his therapists say he is probably 1-2 months from being well enough for that. We will probably find out more about his next week.

As for Vonda and the baby, the baby seems to be doing fine. she has another appt. next week, then she believes will have to start going every 2 weeks. Please continue to keep us all in your thoughts.

This has been living hell for Tom & his family. I am so happy to hear of Tom's progression. PDS... thanks much for the update. Please do keep us informed.

Thanks for the news PDsgt. We continue to pray for Tom's physical rehab and for the family's well being during this unbelievably rough time.

Those b@stards in the insurance company are not doctors and have not lived in Tom's shoes. They better do right by Tom... :angry03: :angry03:

Thanks for the news PDsgt. We continue to pray for Tom's physical rehab and for the family's well being during this unbelievably rough time.
Those b@stards in the insurance company are not doctors and have not lived in Tom's shoes. They better do right by Tom... :angry03: :angry03:
+1

What a bad deal of the cards... we're pulling for you Tom. Fight it, we're waiting on you. Take those small advances and keep going.