Instantaneous Fuel Consumption Mode Wrong

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borrec

Reaction score
06 FJR is great, but my indication for MPG only shows 17.0. The average indication works fine. Any ideas?

You need more miles to make the pooter happy. It's still calculating based on 'zero'. My VDub did the same thing when new.

06 FJR is great, but my indication for MPG only shows 17.0. The average indication works fine. Any ideas?
Mine does exactly the same thing. Goes to flat line at stop, but never goes above 17.0. The Avg. MPG works fine.

I guess I'll call the dealer on Monday and have them ask Yamaha about it.

Tom

Mine does exactly the same thing. Goes to flat line at stop, but never goes above 17.0. The Avg. MPG works fine.

I guess I'll call the dealer on Monday and have them ask Yamaha about it.

Tom
I'm sure it's something simple. Perhaps the output is base 40, instead of base 10 ;) . Or maybe you just have to get proficient at multiplying by 3 continuously ;) . Or maybe it's just a microcontroller math error, like, 4 bits of resolution - designer did (reading +2) instead of (reading <<2) - yielding 17 as the max instead of 60 as max.

Cal24, your MPG is zero when you are at a stop ;)

Put some more miles on your bike and the instant will be better calculated.

A bit of info --

The Honda ST1300 also has an instantaneous (momentary) MPG and average MPG readout. The instantaneous value is updated every 15 seconds when the engine is running. So I guess it's actually the average MPG for the previous 15 second interval.

The average MPG is also updated every 15 seconds. This value is the cumulative average MPG since the last reset by the operator.

I wonder what the instantaneous readout would show when you're at road speed and you pull in the clutch, let the engine drop to idle, and then coast for a few seconds? I'd expect to see a big number.

Cal24, your MPG is zero when you are at a stop ;)
Put some more miles on your bike and the instant will be better calculated.
I've got about 300 miles on it now. It has never changed, that is that it has never gotten above 17.

A bit of info --
The Honda ST1300 also has an instantaneous (momentary) MPG and average MPG readout. The instantaneous value is updated every 15 seconds when the engine is running. So I guess it's actually the average MPG for the previous 15 second interval.

The average MPG is also updated every 15 seconds. This value is the cumulative average MPG since the last reset by the operator.

I wonder what the instantaneous readout would show when you're at road speed and you pull in the clutch, let the engine drop to idle, and then coast for a few seconds? I'd expect to see a big number.
As per the manual, the average is the average MPG since the last time it was reset. That changes a lot when you first reset it, then changes less and less as you put more miles on and the average becomes based on a larger sample.

The instantanious is supposed to be how far you can go on 1 gallon of fuel at the current conditions. Your right, if you pulled in the clutch it should go to a very high number within a few seconds. That is what is wrong with it. At 60 MPH, like coasting onto a exit ramp, it never goes above 17.0 mpg, even though the average is much higher.

I shouldn't speculate but I will anyway. The problem is probably a programming error in the ECU software. I doubt it will magically start working correctly after you've accumulated a few miles on the odometer.

Would you prefer a $200 rebate from Yamaha to atone for this goof and leave it as is or do you want it fixed with an ECU swapout sometime in the future?

Per the owners manual it should start to work after 0.6 mile following reset. Perhaps all it needs is to be reset for the first time and it is just an initial program glitch". Perhaps the simple/ obvious will work (press and hold the reset button).

I, too am having this problem. Avg seems to work fine, instant is stuck at 17. I think I would rather have this fixed than get a $200 credit.

Per the owners manual it should start to work after 0.6 mile following reset. Perhaps all it needs is to be reset for the first time and it is just an initial program glitch". Perhaps the simple/ obvious will work (press and hold the reset button).
The .6 mile thing is in relation to the Avg. fuel consumption, not the instant. As reported by everyone, that works fine. The instant has no reset. Even at that, I tried hitting the reset, and nothing happens.

I called the dealer today. They called Yamaha and were told that the factory was unaware of any problems. I am taking it back this week to have them verify what it is doing. I suggest everyone that has the problem call their dealer immediately. When Yamaha gets a bunch of phone calls about it, they will be much quicker to fix it.

And no, I would not accept a small financial settlement to fix a problem that should not be on a new bike.

BTW, all the resets work differently on the 06. Since the right button now toggles between the two mileage displays and the temp., you don't use it to reset the tripmeters or avg. mileage display. You select the odometer you want to reset with select button, and it will flash for 5 seconds. Then you push the same button again for 1 second and it resets. You only us the right, or reset button to toggle the display and setting the clock.

I suggest everyone that has the problem call their dealer immediately.  When Yamaha gets a bunch of phone calls about it, they will be much quicker to fix it.
Does anyone with an '06 not have this problem? Just curious.

Mine does the same thing and no- reset doesn't help. I now have more than 300 miles and will ask the dealer about this at the 600 mile check.

The "Instant MPG" only works with the autoclutch models.

Told ya you shoulda waited.

Woulda got a better color and a useless feature that worked. :p

Has anyone considered that with the longer WB, and added weight that 17mpg may be the best the bike can get now?