Insurance costs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCherry

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted a new thread in the "new members" forum but not getting any replies. I figure you guys probably don't hang out over there much. My question is I am seriously considering buying a Black Cherry 2007 FJR1300A off my local dealers floor. I wanted to get it today but can't get an insurance quote until monday. I currently own 2 other bikes, a 2006 Suzuki M109R, painted black cherry of course, and a 2003 Buell XB9. I am paying $450/yr. on the M109R and $350/yr. on the Buell. What do you guys think I can be expected to pay for an FJR? Is it generally rated more as a sportbike or as a touring bike? :dntknw:

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hey guys,I posted a new thread in the "new members" forum but not getting any replies. I figure you guys probably don't hang out over there much. My question is I am seriously considering buying a Black Cherry 2007 FJR1300A off my local dealers floor. I wanted to get it today but can't get an insurance quote until monday. I currently own 2 other bikes, a 2006 Suzuki M109R, painted black cherry of course, and a 2003 Buell XB9. I am paying $450/yr. on the M109R and $350/yr. on the Buell. What do you guys think I can be expected to pay for an FJR? Is it generally rated more as a sportbike or as a touring bike? :dntknw:

Your premium depends on a lot of factors, including credit rating. Your best bet is to get a website quote from companies such as Geico and Progressive. It'll give you a close enough estimate on what you can expect to pay.

Hey guys,I posted a new thread in the "new members" forum but not getting any replies. I figure you guys probably don't hang out over there much. My question is I am seriously considering buying a Black Cherry 2007 FJR1300A off my local dealers floor. I wanted to get it today but can't get an insurance quote until monday. I currently own 2 other bikes, a 2006 Suzuki M109R, painted black cherry of course, and a 2003 Buell XB9. I am paying $450/yr. on the M109R and $350/yr. on the Buell. What do you guys think I can be expected to pay for an FJR? Is it generally rated more as a sportbike or as a touring bike? :dntknw:

The sportbike/touring slant seems to depend on the company. I'm paying $417 for full coverage from Progressive-57 years old-4 bikes-no tickets-Rhode Island.

The sportbike/touring slant seems to depend on the company. I'm paying $417 for full coverage from Progressive-57 years old-4 bikes-no tickets-Rhode Island.
Thanks guys. I've also been reading the other threads in this insurance forum and it seems like it will probably be pretty reasonable. I'll find out on monday for sure! B)

Geico had the best rates for me in CA... A little over $600/year
Just got a quote off of Geico's website. $385/yr!! SOLD!!! :yahoo:

Coverage Details: 2007 YAMAHA FJR1300A

Type of Coverage -- Coverage Limits -- Cost

Bodily Injury Liability(BI) -- $50,000 / $100,000 -- $ 31.00

Property Damage Liability(PD) -- $20,000 -- $ 11.00

Medical Payments(MED) -- NO -- not provided

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury -- $50,000 / $100,000 -- $ 50.00

Comprehensive(COMP) -- $250 deductible -- $ 58.00

Collision(COLL) -- $250 deductible -- $ 235.00

Towing(TOW) -- NO -- not provided

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackCherry, It is good to see another local on the forum. If you are looking at the 07 FJR at Bend Rec. you can do better price wise elsewhere. They are usually about $500 to $800 high. Try Darin at Action Motor Sports Fairview, OR (503-669-2000). He will save you some money.

For insurance call Julie Zebro (1-800-373-6879) at Sentry Inc. for a quote. She will beat Geico's price.

BlackCherry, It is good to see another local on the forum. If you are looking at the 07 FJR at Bend Rec. you can do better price wise elsewhere. They are usually about $500 to $800 high. Try Darin at Action Motor Sports Fairview, OR (503-669-2000). He will save you some money.

For insurance call Julie Zebro (1-800-373-6879) at Sentry Inc. for a quote. She will beat Geico's price.
Thanks warsw,

What city are you in? Are you here in Bend? Yeah I was looking at the one at Bend Rec. I used to work at Central Oregon Workensport and one of our sales guys went to work at Bend Rec. I was always going in there and talking to him. Tuns out they laid him off 3 weeks ago and 10 days later he had a stroke. I told him he should sue them for causing him stress! :D

I was posting in another thread that I would pay a little more to buy locally just to build a rapport with those guys. I wouldn't feel right taking my new bike in there for servicing if they knew I went somewhere else and bought the same bike they had on their floor just to save a few bucks, kinda like complaining about your food then wondering if they spit in it when they "fixed" it. They originally were $300 higher and they agreed to drop the setup fees so I'm only looking at MSRP + $118 DMV. I would feel like I got a decent deal if I got that, especially knowing the scarcity of this bike. I would rather do that than get someone to drive me all the way to Fairview, or Eugene or Salem for that matter. The $500 wouldn't make that much of a difference to me considering the extra hassle. Now if it was $1000 difference that might be a different story. I just would rather keep the money locally here also, it's good local karma that way. ;)

I have a local insurance agent here in Bend and I have my other 2 bikes already insured through Allied Insurance whom I also had in California before I moved here 2 years ago. They have always beat everyone else's prices, especially Progressive. So if Allied comes close to the Geico quote I'll likely just keep all my business with them. If not then maybe I'll call your person at Sentry or just get the Geico policy. Either way I would be ecstatic to get that kinda price on this bike. When I started this thread I was thinking my insurance was going to be over $1000/year. So you can imagine my surprise to

get a quote for only $380. :yahoo:

Thanks for the feedback. I realize I sound like I'm rationalizing why I want to pay too much for both the bike and the insurance. It's late at night and I'm tired and rambling. :sleepy:

Thanks warsw,

What city are you in? Are you here in Bend? Yeah I was looking at the one at Bend Rec. I used to work at Central Oregon Workensport and one of our sales guys went to work at Bend Rec. I was always going in there and talking to him. Tuns out they laid him off 3 weeks ago and 10 days later he had a stroke. I told him he should sue them for causing him stress! :D

I was posting in another thread that I would pay a little more to buy locally just to build a rapport with those guys. I wouldn't feel right taking my new bike in there for servicing if they knew I went somewhere else and bought the same bike they had on their floor just to save a few bucks, kinda like complaining about your food then wondering if they spit in it when they "fixed" it. They originally were $300 higher and they agreed to drop the setup fees so I'm only looking at MSRP + $118 DMV. I would feel like I got a decent deal if I got that, especially knowing the scarcity of this bike. I would rather do that than get someone to drive me all the way to Fairview, or Eugene or Salem for that matter. The $500 wouldn't make that much of a difference to me considering the extra hassle. Now if it was $1000 difference that might be a different story. I just would rather keep the money locally here also, it's good local karma that way. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I realize I sound like I'm rationalizing why I want to pay too much for both the bike and the insurance. It's late at night and I'm tired and rambling. :sleepy:
BlackCherry,

My wife and I own a RV park (Hidden Pines RV Park) down towards La Pine heading to Wickiup Res. off Burgess Rd. If you get some time stop by and say hello. As business is picking up it is getting harder for me to get away for a ride. Most rides now are early morning rides for about 150mi. If an early morning ride interested you let me know, maybe we can get together. I try to leave buy 7am and be back buy 10am.

Bend Rec. seems to have a very good service dept. I bought my bike elsewhere but have used Bend Rec's service dept several time and have been happy with them. They didn't seem to care if I bought the bike from them, even when I had some warranty issues. They seem to give the same good service regardless. Just a thought.

when i bought my first bike i used progressive direct via their website, i called the dealer asked if the bike was ready, hung up hopped on the web, bought insurance and drove to the dealer to get the bike. I live in Newjersey and inusrance freinkin sucks here, id rather not say how much i pay.

Just goes to show you!. $1400 per year for just minimal coverage. California sucks. 61 years old, no tickets on record (yet). I just looked at Progressive Direct :

Bodily Injury & Property Damage:

$15,000 person/$30,000 accident/$10,000 property damage

Uninsured/<br>Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury:

$15,000 person/$30,000 accident

Medical Payments:

$1,000 each person

Vehicle #1

Comprehensive:

$500 Deductible

Collision:

$500 Deductible

Uninsured Motorists Property Damage:

$3,500 property damage ($0 deductible)

Roadside Assistance coverage:

Included

Custom Parts and Equipment coverage:

Still looking,

LC

I just got insurance this week on my 07 thru my wife's work (Liberty Mutual). I'm 42, clean record, blah blah blah. 250/500/100K with $500 ded. for $502/year which isn't too bad. But consideriig I pay $537 on my Hayabusa I was suprised the FJR was almost as much. We have 5 vehicles insured with them and our house which helps with rates.

If you increase your deductibles you can save some money. I have State Farm and have 500 $ ded. for comprehensive and 1000$ ded. for Collision. It costs me 241.21 per year for full coverage.

Mac

It's easy and tempting to save money on insurance by lowering coverage limits, raising deductibles, etc. I personally despise insurance in general as it's the next biggest racket in the US second to Oil/gas prices IMO. That said, it doesn't help having a spouse that has worked in the industry for years, and still does today :)

I have a riding buddy a few hundred miles from me. I'm 42 and he is 28. He and I have almost the same collection of vehicles, motorcycles, prestine driving records, good credit, etc. yet he pays less then 1/2 as much for insurance as I do. Our locations aren't that big of a factor either. I am insured thru my wife's company and he is thru StateFarm.

This got me thinking "How the hell can he be paying 33% less then what I pay?". Come to find out his coverages were only 1 level above the state requirement and he has $1000+ deductibles. I found I was on the opposite spectrum from him in terms of coverages ...probably over insured. Long story short, the limits themselves have a huge impact on the overall premium as do the deductibles, as my wife tells me. I think I am over insured per the below coverages and going to do some comparison shopping and see what impact lower the limits and raising deductibles may have. I found today Geico won't even cover the 250K/500K limits unless approved by some special committe. Likewise they offer a maximum of $50K property damage ...not the $100K I have presently. Their all thiefs as far as I'm concerned. :)

Bodily Injury Liability(BI) --- $250,000 / $500,000

Property Damage Liability(PD) --- $100,000

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury(UMBI) --- $250,000 / $500,000

Comprehensive(COMP) --- $500 deductible

Collision(COLL) --- $500 deductible

I have high coverage levels and relatively low deductibles. FJR is $420 a year, 2004 1600 Vulcan Cruiser is $345. Since FJR costs a few K more and has almost 3 times the HP, not a bad deal in my mind. I'm 50, no tix in 20 years.

What blew me away is finding that for the coverages I posted above, the FJR is $560/yr and the Hayabusa $545/yr. I never would have thought insuring a sportbike would be cheaper then a sport-touring bike. I did follow-up with my insurance company and they said they basically rate them by cc's and replacement cost and there really isn't any distinction made between the type of motorcycle. I'm sure that varies across companies.

What blew me away is finding that for the coverages I posted above, the FJR is $560/yr and the Hayabusa $545/yr. I never would have thought insuring a sportbike would be cheaper then a sport-touring bike. I did follow-up with my insurance company and they said they basically rate them by cc's and replacement cost and there really isn't any distinction made between the type of motorcycle. I'm sure that varies across companies.

Also, if you are the only "driver" in the household (only you have MC endorsement) then it is cheaper per motorcycle for each additional motorcycle. My annual premium for both my motorcycles (The FJR and my Honda VTX1800C) is $1100-1200. When I asked what the cost would be for just the FJR I was told $800. Makes sense, I can only ride one bike at a time. So one of my motorcycles is only costing me 3-400 a year. I choose to believe it is the FJR and that makes me feel "better". :dribble:

LC