Interesting Begining for My New 14ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copacetic

Reaction score
Picked up my new 14ES today.

It had been at my dealer waiting for me. Stopped by the dealership, after a month long trip out of the country for work, to see it - only to find it in the shop on the lift all torn apart. Turns out, it was damaged during shipping and they had just gotten the replacement parts. Both the left and right side fairings were broken. We suspect the shipping box/frame was overloaded on top and the sides buckled inward. The metal shipping frame hit the fairing. Luckily, nothing else was damaged. The replacement parts are a perfect match. I asked them to not put the “1300” badges on the sides – I would just take them with me.

This leads me to a trivia question: Were there some years of FJR that did not have badges on the left and right side fairing?

Pictures on Interweb suggest that there were some without badges. But they could have been Photoshopped. If there were years without badges on the fairing, where did Yamaha put the “1300”?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they didn't start that until '08 or '09. My '07 doesn't say 1300 anywhere on it; although, there are tuning fork emblems here and there. OEM, the only place it said "Yamaha" was on the saddle bags.

I think they didn't start that until '08 or '09. My '07 doesn't say 1300 anywhere on it; although, there are tuning fork emblems here and there. OEM, the only place it said "Yamaha" was on the saddle bags.
And on the Stator cover right next to my left highway peg.:)
Oh, my stator cover has been covered with a Johnny Boy carbon fiber cover for a few years now. I'm guessing mine says Yamaha there also. However, I said OEM. I bought silver Yamaha decals and ran them along the bottom of the fairing. People STILL ask if it's a BMW. Isay, "Yes." Haha...

Sounds to me like you'd be in a good position to bargain for a discount on the contract price--certainly not your dealer's fault but I'd be surprised if the dealer couldn't get Yamaha to pony up some $ which would be reimbursed by the shipper.

Yeah I agree w Spud. You ordered in a factory new bike, not any dealer bandaged war hero. If you still want it, I see Bob Barker in your future.

If it were me, I would say NO Deal!

Good Luck

My Yamaha dealer takes good care of me (been going there for over 30 years).

He would not have sold it to me if he thought there would be any chance of a problem. Damage was only cosmetic. They know me well and went over that bike with a fine tooth comb. They also do good work. Yamaha paid them to fix it.

Actually, my dealer and I go on a least one bike trip together every year. We also go to dual sport events as well. And although I don’t have a sled anymore, we have been on many snowmobile trips to Canada over the years.

The bike has a new home with me now
smile.png
. I am told if I ordered a new ES today, I would not get it till fall.

I still had to pay the shipping
upset.gif

Freight Damage Claims are handled as Warranty Claims by Yamaha, they then attempt to recover their loss from the Trucking Company/Common Carrier. They usually can recover their cost IF the knot head that received and signed for the bikes at the dealership noted the damage on the Bill of Lading which lists every machine by VIN.

With the relationship you have with the dealer I don't believe you run any risk from having a repaired bike. You took a pretty mature view of the whole process in my mind.

As to "paying for the shipping", Yamaha charges the dealer for the freight, they pay the dealer to set the bike up by giving the dealer a small credit on the cost of the bike. Most Dealers now try to charge Freight and Assembly to recover their cost and increase their margin - like everything it is negotiable.

Enjoy your new bike!