Interesting new Honda bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like the new WeeStrom a lot. The styling is a big improvement, if that kind of thing matter to you. And there are already a good amount of good aftermarket accessories available for them. Also, the Suzuki ADV version with utility type panniers is interesting, though a bit overpriced. Wee has a bigger tank and gets similar mileage. This has some cool engine tech but the Wee is a proven workhorse. Honda is cheaper. It'll be a good battle.

I like that the motor is basically a Honda Fit (Jazz) motor cut in half.

That's a terrific (in the Fit) 4 cylinder power plant. Driven resonably, gets 40mpg...not to hard to imagine the same motor, cut in half, pulling 1/5th the weight, could easily get 80mpg....100 if REALLY babied!

I wish to hell I could figure out which gawdamn key combination on the frickin' Lenovo keyboard causes unwanted "submit" instances. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious on what model Honda is parked next to the 700 pictured below.

Only gripe CyclewWorld mentioned was only a single disc brake up front on the 700.

Honda700.jpg

I am guessing that pic was taken in Europe, not the states. That looks like it is based on the CB1000 platform, much like Kawasaki did the Ninja 1000 on their naked bike. It has an aftermarket exhaust, so it is not a showroom new bike. Just looked it up, that is a CB1000F Yet another cool bike we don't get here.

If Honda wanted to compete with the 'Stroms, why don't they bring over the TransAlp or the Veradero? I find those platforms very appealing. They are supposedly reacting to criticism that they can build a car that gets 40 MPG, but can't build a motorcycle that gets much better than that. This is supposed to be economical to buy, operate and maintain. I hope it works out.

The load capacity of this bike might equal the FJR, I haven't checked but it appears to be more of a commuter than a mule like a BMWGS. Even though it has some nice luggage isn't it based off a scooter design?

On a high note I can imagine a slick aftermarket aux-tank that would replace the rear seat and add a gallon or two. ;)

Love the MPGs owners are getting.

That kind of thing matters to us all. It's why we all ride the finest looking ST machine on the market. :yahoo:

I looked and sat on one a few days ago. Didn't do much for me, looked like a lot of low end parts in a pretty package. If this bike is a Adventure bike, I'm a mid-wife..

Smitty :dribble:

If this bike is a Adventure bike, I'm a mid-wife..
It's an adventure bike like a Plymouth Prowler was a hot rod. :D
Perfect quote Howie... Prowler..Hotrod, can you say that in the same sentence..I think not...... Thats funny...

Interesting concept. Could entice some new riders / current scooter riders to give it a try.
I was thinking the same, someone moving up from there first/starter bike..

Smitty

I looked and sat on one a few days ago. Didn't do much for me, looked like a lot of low end parts in a pretty package. If this bike is a Adventure bike, I'm a mid-wife..

Smitty :dribble:
I looked at one today, had no desire to sit on it. It is an economy bike with a low price point aimed at low cost maintenance and operation. It is really nice for an economy bike though. It does not fit into any of my plans or needs.

Of course I did sit on a Yamaha Super Tenere while I was there...

I am guessing that pic was taken in Europe, not the states. That looks like it is based on the CB1000 platform, much like Kawasaki did the Ninja 1000 on their naked bike. It has an aftermarket exhaust, so it is not a showroom new bike. Just looked it up, that is a CB1000F Yet another cool bike we don't get here.

If Honda wanted to compete with the 'Stroms, why don't they bring over the TransAlp or the Veradero? I find those platforms very appealing. They are supposedly reacting to criticism that they can build a car that gets 40 MPG, but can't build a motorcycle that gets much better than that. This is supposed to be economical to buy, operate and maintain. I hope it works out.
We have had the Veradaro here in Canada for a few years and they can't give them away. Big, heavy and not very dirt capable. The price was out to lunch too. They started out at over $15,000 plus bags etc.

I think you can still buy brand new 2010's. The competition from the Vee Strom and various BMW's was too strong. Admittedly Honda Canada did a poor job of marketing it.

I understand it sells well in Europe but not here.

We have had the Veradaro here in Canada for a few years and they can't give them away. Big, heavy and not very dirt capable. The price was out to lunch too. They started out at over $15,000 plus bags etc.

I think you can still buy brand new 2010's. The competition from the Vee Strom and various BMW's was too strong. Admittedly Honda Canada did a poor job of marketing it.

I understand it sells well in Europe but not here.
That's a very important distinction. We are mostly cruisers, loud, bar to bar hopping. The Euros? not at all, completely diff culture. So it's obvious why we don't see many bikes like this Honda here... there's just no market. We're in a minority here guys. Let's sue for discrimination! ;)

Like I wrote earlier, comparing the NC700X to a Plymouth Prowler, the "adventure" variant is strictly a styling exercise and the bike is NOT intended to go head-to-head with a Wee. The only thing equal between the two is two cylinders, two wheels and about the same displacement.

But the design and function is TOTALLY different from what most folks perceive as a "motorcycle". It's not really...it's a cleverly disguised, two wheeled automobile, considering the sourcing of the motor from a Honda automobile, with low revs, WAY under-square design, single throttle-body injection, single OHC, roller-rocker valve control, automotive-style fuel storage (c'mon, how many cars put the gas tank between your knees?) and the list goes on and on.

This bike IS the Honda Civic of motorcycles, plain and simple...which is NOT a bad thing, but "Adventure" bike, it ain't and any comparisons with a Wee are beyond silly.

If I was in the market for a 3rd bike, and my commute was shorter, an NC700 in either the X or S variant, would probably be in my garage by Christmas. I could probably live with the 47hp for a short commute, but coming off an FJR or ZRX, it would get dreadfully, drastically dull after about 30 minutes. :)

"HEY HOWIE....WHERE'S YOUR HELMET?????"

2012-Honda-NC700S-15-635x423.jpg

How long you think it's gonna take someone to fab up an aux tank to go in the fake tank??

But the design and function is TOTALLY different from what most folks perceive as a "motorcycle". It's not really...it's a cleverly disguised, two wheeled automobile,
It's a scooter made to look like a motorcycle. :D

And scooters are two wheeled civics already. :D