Interphone F4 - Bluetooth headset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V GER

Reaction score
3/15 [added PART 2: ride review]

PART I: Installation and Initial Thoughts

After reading several reviews and scouring some boards, I settled on this unit from REVZILLA ($225).

MFG PAGE

My main interest was streaming stereo audio from my smartphone, using the A2DP protocol.

The ability to do phone calls seems cool, but not a huge thing for me.

I don't have a regular pillion, so intercom and bike-to-bike were not priorities. The spec's for those functions seem decent and may prove handy someday.

My main criteria for "keeper" status are:

*VOLUME - must be usable at freeway speeds

*TOUGHNESS - must be water and dirt proof, take the occasional hard knock

* COMPATIBILITY - Bluetooth stuff needs to work with my relatively old TREO 700P

*SIZE - not too heavy or bulky

so let's get it on.....

PACKAGING: it's a box

SV400004.jpg

CONTENTS: nothing missing

SV400005.jpg

THE UNIT: size seems decent, not too brick-y, tough exterior, solid controls

*gripe: the buttons are very stiff, some functions require a double click, may prove a little awkward

SV400006-1.jpg

SV400007-1.jpg

CHARGE IT: always the first thing to do, the charge cord is wired for two units. Nice touch.

SV400016.jpg

*gripe: charge port is not USB, had to buy a special cig lighter charger from the MFG (14.99)

MOUNT IT: comes with a clamp style mount and a stick-on with 3M tape

I wanted to use the clamp style, but it was not big enough for my helmet (KBC FFR)

*gripe: the clamp mount seems smallish for most full or modular helmets, even with the "extension". Hopefully, the 3M tape will hold up

SV400018.jpg

SV400022.jpg

SV400023-1.jpg

AESTHETICS CHECK: not too bad, no worse that the competition, IMHO. I like the shape

SV400025.jpg

SV400026.jpg

SV400027.jpg

THE STUFFING: pulled all the pads out, added velcro to the earcups, routed cables, put everything back

Took about an hour futzing with different cable options, ear piece placement, etc.

I also had to remove my old headphone setup. It has served me well. Hopefully the smaller earpieces can keep up

*gripe: it would be nice for these things to use a standard stereo 3.5mm jack, so the earpieces can be of the users choosing

SV400008-1.jpg

SV400020-1.jpg

SV400021-1.jpg

SV400028.jpg

WRAP UP: put all the pads back in and double check cable routing for pinching, rubbing, clearance from moving parts

SV400029.jpg

SV400030.jpg

BLUETOOTH SETUP: paired with my Treo, everything worked as expected, comes with pocket guide to different functions

*gripe: no function to FF or REW when listening to mp3's

SV400019-1.jpg

SV400009.jpg

CONCLUSIONS:

* A2DP sound quality is very good and very loud, noticeable drop in bass response from my old headphone speakers

* PHONE sound quality also very good, we'll see how it holds up on the road

* microphone is neither intrusive nor vulnerable, but needs to be considered to avoid tweaking the windscreen (it comes with a spare) during take-on/off

* featherweight... no noticeable change to helmet balance

* technically capable with simple controls and solid components

PART II - on the road

PROS -

great sound quality at all speeds (did not try with ear plugs)

able to answer calls from two different phones

A2DP mp3 streaming worked flawlessly

used it for the entire 4 hour ride, battery life seems to match spec's

CONS -

voice recognition dialing at speed a little iffy, I'll try setting up some tags using the unit instead of the phone

volume buttons take some getting used to with thick gloves, a self-adjusting volume feature would be nice

multifunction button is a hard press, makes double clicks and holding for on/off, etc. awkward

I miss the bass response of my headphone speakers

I am very happy with this unit.

I look forward to putting the intercom through it's paces at some point.

VVVV out of VVVVV

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using an F4 for a few weeks now during my daily commute. Wonderful product. Works very well. I use it with my iPhone and voice dialing and call quality are first rate. Streaming audio and iPod music also top notch. Even with 33db ear plugs, the volume is plenty loud. I place it on the charger every Friday night though the battery has never actually run down during the weeks use so who knows how long it really lasts ;-)

I have been using the BlueAnt F4 for a few months and both me and the pillion have no complaints. The unit is small and works very well paired up with my Blackberry and getting my MP3's in stereo is nice. The intercom feature also works well. So far, no regrets.

I ordered another unit from the below link on sale at $159.99 and it arrived within two days. Not affiliated with the site, just passing on a great deal.

BlueAnt F4 on Sale

The F4 is very nice. We've had two units since February, one installed in my X11 and the other in my GF's HJC F16. The intercom function is excellent, but here are a couple of the shortcomings:

1. You can only connect to one BT device at a time. If you are streaming music and you want to use the intercom, you'll have to use the MF button to do so and again to go back to music.

2. You can only connect two units at a time. So, three riders cannot have a full duplex conversation. Cardo G4 and Sena SMH10 allow you to do so. We frequently ride in a group of three, and we were disappointed by the F4's lack of this feature.

The three major players in this field are the Cardo G4, Sena SMH10 and the F4. I wish somebody would compare the three units for future buyers benefit. From what I have read, the Cardo seems to have the most features, but I have never been impressed with their speaker volume.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...mh10-part-2.htm

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...r-g4-part-2.htm

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int.../interphone-f4/

Sam

I have an old Chatterbox (not BT) so I have wires everywhere whenever I hook up. Looking to upgrade. Just want to be sure I understand. The literature assumes understanding of functions.

I ride 2 up so will a single unit communicate wirelessly with my passenger and myself? Or do I need two units?

No wires needed. Communication with BT phone and BT GPS possible at same time?

Both GPS and phone will communicate with both units simultaneously?

Stereo quality good? Any issues with BT cutting out?

Will GPS trump other devices when all are hooked up?

I appreciate any advice on this.

This unit has me intrigued. Now that you have had it a while, what are your thoughts? Would you recommend it to others?

Overall: It does what I wanted it to do, Happy with purchase.

My two lingering complaints are:

1) bass response is lacking compared to my custom headphone speaker rig

2) the buttons are distractingly hard to press (until you practice a few times off the bike)...

I don't ride two up or care about intercom'ing with others, so I don't have any feedback on those scenarios.

V

I have the old Blue Ant and used it only for intercom. My biggest complaint was that the batteries would only last about 4 hours or so. We ride longer than that. How long will the batteries last on intercom for this new unit?

The F4 is very nice. We've had two units since February, one installed in my X11 and the other in my GF's HJC F16. The intercom function is excellent, but here are a couple of the shortcomings:
1. You can only connect to one BT device at a time. If you are streaming music and you want to use the intercom, you'll have to use the MF button to do so and again to go back to music.

2. You can only connect two units at a time. So, three riders cannot have a full duplex conversation. Cardo G4 and Sena SMH10 allow you to do so. We frequently ride in a group of three, and we were disappointed by the F4's lack of this feature.

The three major players in this field are the Cardo G4, Sena SMH10 and the F4. I wish somebody would compare the three units for future buyers benefit. From what I have read, the Cardo seems to have the most features, but I have never been impressed with their speaker volume.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...mh10-part-2.htm

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...r-g4-part-2.htm

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int.../interphone-f4/

Sam
Actually, you can put the F4 into VOX mode for the intercomm so that you don't have to use the MF button to talk to your pillion while listening to music. It will toggle back and forth when you start talking.

I have an old Chatterbox (not BT) so I have wires everywhere whenever I hook up. Looking to upgrade. Just want to be sure I understand. The literature assumes understanding of functions.
I ride 2 up so will a single unit communicate wirelessly with my passenger and myself? Or do I need two units?

No wires needed. Communication with BT phone and BT GPS possible at same time?

Both GPS and phone will communicate with both units simultaneously?

Stereo quality good? Any issues with BT cutting out?

Will GPS trump other devices when all are hooked up?

I appreciate any advice on this.

wife and i bought the scala rider teamset and are very happy with them...

I've been using the old Interphone and have been very happy with it but would like to upgrade to stereo. Does anyone know if the old unit and the F4 are compatible so my mates don't have to upgrade?

I have the old Blue Ant and used it only for intercom. My biggest complaint was that the batteries would only last about 4 hours or so. We ride longer than that. How long will the batteries last on intercom for this new unit?

My longest ride with it has been just under 4 hours. (I bought the optional cig plug charger, just in case.)

Audio streaming from phone the entire time... 2 10 minute phone calls.....

Still alive, no indication of battery dying.

I'll try to run a battery life test off the bike and report back. (I know, I know... GO FOR A LONGER DAMN RIDE!!!)

V

Last edited by a moderator: