iPhone on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw on a web site a holder that attacches to the two screws in front

of the tank. Didn't order at that time. Now I can't find the web site again.

Hass anyone seen this and/or know where I can get it. More for the itouch than

phone. "Hang Up And Hang On."

Thanks

Mine stays in my pocket or my smuggler. I connect the phone to my Zumo via bluetooth and my tunes reside on the zumo.
Ditto...Occaisionally, I'll slip it into a home made padded pouch in the glove box to charge since the battery life is less than stellar. I also have my Zumo wired to my StarCom system.

Mine stays in my pocket or my smuggler. I connect the phone to my Zumo via bluetooth and my tunes reside on the zumo.
+1 - I run a crackberry, but it is either in my pocket, or in my electrified tank bag if it needs a charge. Everything I need to see comes up on the GPS screen. Callers name and/or number, accept or reject buttons. Outgoing calls are made from the side of the road.

Often, when 2-up I will pair the Zumo to my wife's phone (and drop mine), since most of my calls are work related and hers would be from our kids wondering where the hell we are... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I throw mine in one of my side cases and ride. Whatever I need to be contacted about can wait until I get off.
+1000
agreed.... put the phone away - leave your troubles behind... I promise they will be there when you get off the bike
Really hard to access the iPod controls and GPS Apps form there!!! :dribble:

I use the ipod and pandora while riding. Not to be contacted...
+1000 :rolleyes:

The MoCo makes a magnetic tank pouch that's iPhone sized. Not sure about how waterproof it is.Click-A-RooneyRightHere
Neat product but my tank bag takes up all the practical mounting space. Thanks for a useful post! ;)

EXCUSE ME!??

We bitch about spaced-out cagers on cellphones all the time... and you're putting a cellphone on a bike?

Just a little pot... kettle... black there?

"Throw it in a pocket and ride. Whatever I need to be contacted about can wait until I get off" works for me. Work isn't important enough to risk my life, even a little. I'd druther be in the unemployment office than the morgue.

I check the phone religiously when I get off the bike, they'd better be satisfied with that.

Edit: and lately they've been not leaving messages and bitching that I didn't return the message. A hearty "yer a MORON!" fixed that.

EXCUSE ME!??
We bitch about spaced-out cagers on cellphones all the time... and you're putting a cellphone on a bike?

"Throw it in a pocket and ride. Whatever I need to be contacted about can wait until I get off" works for me. Work isn't important enough to risk my life, even a little. I'd druther be in the unemployment office than the morgue.

I check the phone religiously when I get off the bike, they'd better be satisfied with that.

Edit: and lately they've been not leaving messages and bitching that I didn't return the message. A hearty "yer a MORON!" fixed that.
You can use a GPS to to see who's calling and then either press the ignore button, or just let it go to voice mail. Then pull over and make the call safely if you need to. Even if you did decide to take a call while rolling, you don't have to do anything except talk. No hands, no eyes, nothing involved.

It's really not any more distracting than listening to a good song or talking on the intercom to your passenger. Are those also "too dangerous?"

EXCUSE ME!??

2 things:

Firstly, the iPhone is not just a cellphone. It is a MID (Mobile Internet Device), Portable Music Player, GPS device, handheld gaming system,... AND a cell phone. A couple of these functions are incredibly useful to me on my bike. Is your next rant going to be against GPS and/or music devices?

Secondly, I don't think anyone here is interested in texting while they are riding or dialing and holding a phone up to their ear while riding. There is a reason why the laws being put in place to prevent "Distracted Driving" allow for the use of "hands-free" devices (at least in my neck of the woods.) It's not the talking thats the big safety issue! Next thing we know, you'll be lobbying against Rider-to-Passenger and Bike-to-Bike Comm systems and lobbying for a law against conversations in cars. :dribble:

Now THAT'S some funny stuff right there!

ah crap...stamped right into the leather is that OTHER motorcycle brand's name...
True dat, but I figure if you really wanted to, a way could be devised to cover that up / replace it with something else. C'mon, Mike - you're a creative guy...

Here is what I did Clicky

PS its not my thread, my post is a few down but there are pics.

You can use a GPS to to see who's calling and then either press the ignore button, or just let it go to voice mail. Then pull over and make the call safely if you need to. Even if you did decide to take a call while rolling, you don't have to do anything except talk. No hands, no eyes, nothing involved.
It's really not any more distracting than listening to a good song or talking on the intercom to your passenger. Are those also "too dangerous?"
First off, a passenger will shut up or indicate a problem, while someone on the other end of a cell phone will just keep blabbering until they hear screeching and crunching sounds on the other end.

Secondly, it isn't holding the phone or whatever, it's the mental workload of carrying your side of the conversation that's the problem. It's like Keith Code's "attention dollar" in "Twist of the wrist" - there's only so much attention you can spend before it's all gone.

I won't recount the experiences with friends bending metal because they were occupied with a phone or a GPS, because it's boring and no-one will listen anyway, or feel it applies to them.

I feel everyone has the right to go to hell in their own way and make their own decisions, but I thought it was a bit hypocritical to diss folks for being on cell phones ("she nearly ran over me!") and then put one on their bike.

First off, a passenger will shut up or indicate a problem, while someone on the other end of a cell phone will just keep blabbering until they hear screeching and crunching sounds on the other end.

Secondly, it isn't holding the phone or whatever, it's the mental workload of carrying your side of the conversation that's the problem. It's like Keith Code's "attention dollar" in "Twist of the wrist" - there's only so much attention you can spend before it's all gone.

I won't recount the experiences with friends bending metal because they were occupied with a phone or a GPS, because it's boring and no-one will listen anyway, or feel it applies to them.

I feel everyone has the right to go to hell in their own way and make their own decisions, but I thought it was a bit hypocritical to diss folks for being on cell phones ("she nearly ran over me!") and then put one on their bike.
I can appreciate what you are saying about attention and safety. Obviously, the more things one undertakes while riding (or driving) the less able they will be to recognize and respond to an emergency situation.

As responsible adults we just need to be prudent in how we use all these gizmos.

PS - who almost ran over me?

Here is how I mounted my PDA phone a coupla years back. I had since moved it to a techmount stand, then moved it gone and got a Zumo.

Hit Me Chief!

I currently have an iPhone too - I am not sure if the capacitive screen will work through the clear lens of the AquaBox.

My sincere recommendation is suck it up and get a Zumo. The thing was made for this application. If you are busy monkeying around with applications while riding, you will find it to be a royal PITA, not to mention dangerous.

-BD

I keep mine in my pocket or a tank bag. I pair my work phone to my Zumo if I'm on-call so I know if I need to pull over and answer if there is a problem. Since my parents started having more serious health issues I pair my personal phone to my Zumo for the same reason. I never answer or make a call while riding. I find a safe place to pull over and do whatever I need to do.

I wear my phone on a lanyard around my neck. After dropping and/or losing two cell phones, I decided that wearing it around my neck is the easiest and the safest. I use my GPS for my tunes and while riding, the last thing I want to do is talk on a phone. However, should I encounter rain, its fully protected.