iPhone on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention I have NO case for my iPhone (doesn't work with cheap Ram mount system I have).

Let me just add again the I have a 1st generation iPhone. I can say for certain it's one tough piece of technology. Not sure about you guys, but once things get so old or out of date, I start losing interest in taking really good care of them. Basically, I guess I start looking for an excuse to get a new and better one. :D

So my iPhone has been dropped several times, and I've let it ride in off and on rain for several hundred miles. I'd say as long as you don't drop it in a puddle or leave it on a stationary bike, I wouldn't worry about it.

However, do what you want with your equipment.

Dave

I also have a Garmin 2730 for my longer trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
EXCUSE ME!??
No.

An iphone 3GS is a gps enabled mp3 player, among other things.

[SIZE=14pt]GPS ENABLED MP3 PLAYER[/SIZE]

For those that keep posting about how their brand X phone works through their GPS; thread parent does not have a GPS, thats what the iphone is for. Therefore, asking for mounting options for a GPS/MP3 player that is made by Apple.

/been a rough day

EXCUSE ME!??
No.

You can type that as big and yell it as loud as you want....to yourself.

I don't use my 3GS as a GPS on my bike because the Zumo is much more rugged, and can be rained on without worrying about it. The Zumo is also much easier to see at a glance than the map on the iPhone. Also, the iPhone requires internet access to keep the map updated. Some areas don't have any cell or data service so the Zumo works best for me in more ways than one.

I don't use my 3GS as a GPS on my bike because the Zumo is much more rugged, and can be rained on without worrying about it. The Zumo is also much easier to see at a glance than the map on the iPhone. Also, the iPhone requires internet access to keep the map updated. Some areas don't have any cell or data service so the Zumo works best for me in more ways than one.
OK, one at a time.

Rugged? that's why he's looking for a case.

Zumo is also an additional device not worth the expense for occasional use. Case + mount is though.

Data access is flat out wrong. We're not talking google maps(non-android) here. Navigon, TomTom both offer standalone apps for the iphone, no connectivity needed.

Like I said, rough day. Slightly annoyed at people taking a straight forward mount request and going on a unjustified screed against cell phones.

Zumo is also an additional device not worth the expense for occasional use. Case + mount is though.
Get an OtterBox and be done with it.

Data access is flat out wrong. We're not talking google maps(non-android) here. Navigon, TomTom both offer standalone apps for the iphone, no connectivity needed.
That's funny. FJRGuy didn't mention that in his original post. Where did you get an ESP module for your brain, or do you just like speaking for other people?

OK, one at a time.

Rugged? that's why he's looking for a case.

Like I said, rough day. Slightly annoyed at people taking a straight forward mount request and going on a unjustified screed against cell phones.
Yes, talking on a cellphone while driving increases risk substantially; I don't think anyone is arguing. But surely we are skilled enough to glance at a map and listen to some music as safely as we check our speedometer and fuel level. And if we want to pull off the road and make a call - to report an emergency, motorist assist, aggressive driver, or just to call mom and tell her we love her - we won't have to take our helmet off.

That's funny. FJRGuy didn't mention that in his original post. Where did you get an ESP module for your brain, or do you just like speaking for other people?
But he did in post #24. No module, but I do read ahead sometimes. :rolleyes:

Otterbox is a possibility, but would need modded for power access if desired. GPS apps chew through the battery pretty fast.

I'm looking to tie my new iPhone 3GS into my soon to be upgraded AutoCom system (see post in vendor offers For Sale) and am wondering what others do to mount and/or protect their iPhone. I have a Ram Mount cradle for the car but it does nothing to protect it from the elements.
So whatcha do? :unsure:
Here is what I do: I have an iphone 3GS and I synced to my CARDO Scala Rider via the bluetooth features of both devices. I also listen to the ipod feature of the iphone with the mp3 connection that comes with the CARDO device. I then slip the iphone into my coat chest pocket. I have been in heavy downpours many times without ever damaging my phone. I can listen to music, switch songs at will, make phone calls, answer calls and most of all, communicate with a riding buddy.

I have a RAM box with a Garmin GPS mounted on the handle bars; it is a little bulky but functional. It allows me to have the wiring harness and the GPS unit contained within the waterproof enclosure. Feel free to contact me should you need any more clarifications.

Yeah, I use ipod for my car, it's very convenient when you update this toy. You can listen to music or Fm radio or call. Look at this interesting link https://search.accessorygeeks.com/search?qu...p;x=26&y=15. It's useful for you. It's safely charge & play your iPod in your car, works with all dock compatible cases, rrovides unlimited play time, sleek, compact with expanding cord, LED power indicator..

My sincere recommendation is suck it up and get a Zumo. The thing was made for this application. If you are busy monkeying around with applications while riding, you will find it to be a royal PITA, not to mention dangerous.
-BD
+1

Zumo on my Techmount, iPhone in my pocket.

I keep my i=phone in a inner pocket of my jacket. I can listen to tunes, and I can feel it vibrate if I am getting a call, so depending on the situation, I can ignore it or pull over and deal with it. I have the otterbox 3g defender cover which is very useful if you are a spaz and drop the phone frequently, and live in the rainforest and sometimes take calls outdoors, but it is NOT waterproof . Not by a long shot. It is water resistant. Otter boxes that are similar to pelican boxes are waterproof , but from what I understand, they do not make a waterproof case that allows you to actually use the i-phone while it is in the box. Just a heads-up.

iPhone in the pocket with an extended life battery pack streaming music or baseball to my xbi2. I have used my Garmin Nuvi with a ram mount in the past but when I get the new bike I am planning on picking up a Zumo as well.

I have the Scala rider Q2 muliset and a bluetooth phone. It's all hands free. I got it when my son started riding so I could talk to him as we ride. I love it! I put my phone in my tank bag an go. It's an intercom FM radio you can use your GPS cell phone and Ipod all with it. I feel much safer knowing I can let him know whats around the corner. You can get the set for around 260.00 from She Rides.

On the Scala Rider Q2, do you ride with earplugs in? What kind do you use?

Is the volume of the BT headset adequate?

I'd like to go wireless, but need to wear 33 dB earplugs and fear that there just wouldn't be enough volume from these.

You velcro the speakers to the inside of the helmet. It has volume control. My hearing is not great, and they have worked fine for me.

You didn't answer my question.

Do you wear earplugs when you use this? If so which kind.

My hearing is bad too, which is why I now wear earplugs, to protect what's left of it.

with my Chatter xbi2 I don't wear earplugs but i do wear a full face helmet. The bluetooth calls are actually much louder then the music or the bluetooth intercom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I did Clicky
PS its not my thread, my post is a few down but there are pics.
Where can I get me one of them??? According to the rep at Otter Box, they don't make or sell them for the 3G/GS? :unsure:

EXCUSE ME!??
No.

I have a good memory and generally a great sense of direction. For the amount I NEED a GPS it makes absolutely no sense to throw away a ridiculous amount of money to Garmin for the Zumo toy. I already have the iPhone and it does everything I need. I'd just LIKE an effective, safe, convenient mounting method.Bottom line, no offence intended but... you are not any help in this regard! :dribble:

+100 :clapping:

Get an OtterBox and be done with it.
I'd be all over that if they made a waterproof case for a wired (power/audio) iPhone... which they don't (anymore for the original, at all for the 3G/GS.) :(

Apparently dekkerd can read! No ESP module required. Guess some people read an entire thread before adding their comments! :p

My sincere recommendation is suck it up and get a Zumo. The thing was made for this application. If you are busy monkeying around with applications while riding, you will find it to be a royal PITA, not to mention dangerous.
-BD
Give me one for the cost of a mount for my iPhone and I'm in! :yahoo: I'll admit that the Zumo is a nice toy but, for my needs, not nearly worth a fraction of it's price. Oh, and when I'm riding, I'm riding, not playing with little toys. :rolleyes: