Iron Butt from Charlotte

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkin

Reaction score
Good day! I am planning my first Iron Butt ride from Charlotte, N.C. Does anyone have a recommendation for a route?

thanks!

Dan

Dan,

In order to minimize the number of corners that would be involved in a circular route, I'd keep things VERY SIMPLE. I'd ride straight to Exit 223 on I-95 which is the turn off to Titusville, FL. I'd get a gas receipt at that exit and head for home.

It's probably around 1,040 total distance and it should be a very comfortable ride that won't require much effort beyond riding the miles.

Good luck

In order to minimize the number of corners that would be involved in a circular route, I'd keep things VERY SIMPLE.
Great advice. The easiest SS1K is to pick any place that's slightly more than 500 miles from you in a straight line on the interstate, ride there, get a receipt, turn around, ride back. You can get your wife or your buddy to witness you the night before you leave, and the next day after you get back. If that's not to your liking, you can ride any route that your mind can dream up as long as you can document it. Come up with a plan, post it here, and people will give specific advice.

Remember, it's about the ride, not the destination. If you're riding 1000 miles on roads you can't stand, just so you can get the certificate, re-think that plan.

Dan,

In order to minimize the number of corners that would be involved in a circular route, I'd keep things VERY SIMPLE. I'd ride straight to Exit 223 on I-95 which is the turn off to Titusville, FL. I'd get a gas receipt at that exit and head for home.

It's probably around 1,040 total distance and it should be a very comfortable ride that won't require much effort beyond riding the miles.

Good luck
thanks fellas!

Personally, I'd avoid 95. I'm in Augusta GA, and every time I head north I go through Charlotte and take the blue ridge parkway (77 north) to 81 north. MUCH more scenic, MUCH less traffic. I'd go 500 up, 500 down. When you planning this?

Alexi

Personally, I'd avoid 95. I'm in Augusta GA, and every time I head north I go through Charlotte and take the blue ridge parkway (77 north) to 81 north. MUCH more scenic, MUCH less traffic. I'd go 500 up, 500 down. When you planning this?

Alexi
I ride I-95/I-26/I-77 all the time and it's really not bad if you time Jacksonville right. The option in Jax is taking highway 9A if traffic is heavier, but taking I-95 through town is quicker usually. Georgia I-95 is now new 3 lane all the way and great running. I always time my trips to get through Jax - and DC when going to the inlaws in Delaware.

On the scenic side, yes, I agree that going north to I-81 is better, but don't be afraid to take the southern route either if scenic doesn't matter.

Going north on I-81 you'd have to go past Harrisburg a little bit depending on your actual starting point, and iirc it's 65 in Virginia and some other places up that way (locals please advise). Coming south is 70 all the way except in the cities, which means you can run ~76 + or - with no problems from the popo. Run those long tanks (220-250), keep you stops short, and you'll do it in 16 hrs easy.

Good luck regardless and let me know, I'll meet you @ Titusville to say hey!

PS exit 223 is actually Mims/SR46; I live ~4 miles north of there. Coming south, go right to the only two stations at the exit - Shell on the right and I think a BP on the left.

Latest posts