is there a better brake lever?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicrocker

Reaction score
I am trying more trail braking, on my rides. Problem is my fingers ain't too long. I CAN reach the lever, but not to comfortably when on the throttle.
Is there a better brake lever? Maybe one with a bit more bend?
I appreciate any input....

ride safe

Last edited:
I am trying more trail braking, on my rides. Problem is my fingers ain't too long. I CAN reach the lever, but not to comfortably when on the throttle.
Is there a better brake lever? Maybe one with a bit more bend?
I appreciate any input....

ride safe
All kinds of aftermarket brake levers. Have you tried the range of adjustment on the OEM levers?

Lots of lever options available, use your google-search-fu to weed them out. Pazzo makes nice pieces. Beware of some CHN knock-offs as the anodizing will fade over time. YMMV

~G

FWIW - I use the OEM lever on its closest setting (5), and only ever use my first two fingers to brake. Easily activates the front ABS when on a good, dry tarmac surface, so plenty of available strength even in my 81-year-old fingers.

I also find it gives me a finer control of the braking, rather than using a full hand grasp.

Enables me to have the fingers resting on the brake lever ready for instant action should it be necessary, leaving the third and fourth fingers available to help the thumb with the throttle.

Last edited:
I got this tip from taking the on-line ChampU course: ride using my index and middle finger on the front brake lever at all times (thumb, ring, and little finger control the throttle). I can't believe how much finer control I have now on the throttle and braking!

Of course, this won't help much if your fingers don't easily reach the levers!