Is there any evidence

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtfriedrich

Reaction score
While I find it a bit of a nusiance that the windshield retracts, I can live with it --- but if there is evidence that the motor, sensors, etc wear out because of this, I might dig in there and disconnect that pesky thing.

I have an 08. Any data out there?

thanks

While I find it a bit of a nusiance that the windshield retracts, I can live with it --- but if there is evidence that the motor, sensors, etc wear out because of this, I might dig in there and disconnect that pesky thing.

thanks
A number of us have disconnected the auto-retract. That way the windshield will stay where ever you leave it. Use your Google-foo and there are threads about the 2-wire connector. It's just in front of the right edge of the instrument panel.

Here is a thread from a year ago that may be of use to you:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125953

Like Checkswrecks, I too disconnected it. My touring Yamaha windshield with spacers hits the cowling if I left it on auto. Plus this way I don't have to fiddle with the adjustment every time to get the shield height where I want it.

See post #26 in that thread by Bounce for the links to the technical instructions on how to disable the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disconnecting the auto retract was the first thing I did on my bike. To be honest, I have no idea what the advantage of the auto retract is supposed to be, and like you I thought it can only add the wear and tear on the motors controlling the shield.

Why "live with it" at all? Especially if you find it pesky like I--and plenty of others--did? And do. It's a very simple disconnect, and of COURSE using the windshield motor only when you want to change it instead of every freaking time you get on the bike is going to save wear and tear. What I don't get is who thought this was a good idea in the first place?

Plus this way I don't have to fiddle with the adjustment every time to get the shield height where I want it.
I thought it can only add the wear and tear on the motors controlling the shield.
instead of every freaking time you get on the bike is going to save wear and tear.

Imagine all the wear and tear you guys would save on the entire bike if you simply disabled that push button on the right grip assembly!

(chrispy, whadda bunch-a whiny Nancies!)

Plus this way I don't have to fiddle with the adjustment every time to get the shield height where I want it.
I thought it can only add the wear and tear on the motors controlling the shield.
instead of every freaking time you get on the bike is going to save wear and tear.

Imagine all the wear and tear you guys would save on the entire bike if you simply disabled that push button on the right grip assembly!

(chrispy, whadda bunch-a whiny Nancies!)
+1, Gunny! This is why you are the "Brains" of this ragtag FJR outfit, RadioHowie!

And Bustanut joker would be the "Balls" of this misfit group, if he only had some!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, disabling the windshield auto-retract probably increases wear, albeit ever so slightly. Because it allows grit/contaminants to largely collect/accumulate in one area, as opposed to multiple daily retracts which help push the contaminants out of the mechanical tracks' primary travel regions.

In other words..., a bunch of crud spread out over a large area, tends to do less damage than a bunch of crud jammed into a small space.

On the other hand, if you NEVER move the windshield there's near-zero wear regardless of the crud collected in the tracks.

It's all too much thinking. I've replaced the plastic slide blocks in one Gen-II windshield mechanism. It's a total PITA for such simple parts.

That auto-retract is IMO, one of the most stupid designs I've ever seen. I totally hate it, no matter what.

Disconnecting the auto retract was the first thing I did on my bike. To be honest, I have no idea what the advantage of the auto retract is supposed to be....
So the sun doesn't burn holes in your dash when the up-position windscreen acts like a giant magnifying glass. If you disable auto retract, don't part facing north on sunny days! Speaking from experience.

Disconnecting the auto retract was the first thing I did on my bike. To be honest, I have no idea what the advantage of the auto retract is supposed to be....
So the sun doesn't burn holes in your dash when the up-position windscreen acts like a giant magnifying glass. If you disable auto retract, don't part facing north on sunny days! Speaking from experience.
A very good point. I try to park in shade or make sure I throw my jacket over the shield or somehow minimize the risk. If no other option I lower the screen, but even then it can happen. I'd rather take the responsibility to avoid the off chance of melting than the death by a thousand cuts of adjusting the screen every time I start the bike up (but that's me).

The only damage to my mechanism has been an oversize windshield,excessive speed, and many miles on dirt roads... :eek:

thanks
I found the auto retract kind of annoying, so disconnected it. The only thing I miss is the coolness factory when you park your bike amongst other brand riders and they Oooh and Aaaah as your windshield retracts. ;)

If you need help finding the connector, PM me and we can probably hook up locally (I work at SEATAC). I had a hell of a time finding the connector back when I did it. Alternatively, come to the next local tech meet and dozens of guys can show you how it's done. Check the Pacific Northwest regional forum for more info on the gathering.

"I found the auto retract kind of annoying, so disconnected it. The only thing I miss is the coolness factory when you park your bike amongst other brand riders and they Oooh and Aaaah as your windshield retracts. ;) "

Or, the WTF? looks you get when it drops down and rattles like a k-car dashboard...

A very good point. I try to park in shade or make sure I throw my jacket over the shield or somehow minimize the risk. If no other option I lower the screen, but even then it can happen. I'd rather take the responsibility to avoid the off chance of melting than the death by a thousand cuts of adjusting the screen every time I start the bike up (but that's me).
I think that it is more of a plastic dash failure than windscreen issue. I have too many miles parking mine in the sun in HOT temps with no problems whatsoever. And how many people have had it happen? I think there is very little risk personally.

I think that it is more of a plastic dash failure than windscreen issue. I have too many miles parking mine in the sun in HOT temps with no problems whatsoever. And how many people have had it happen? I think there is very little risk personally.
But don't forget...you've never had a decel headshake problem, either, IIRC. :)

Latest posts