IT help needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderwill

Reaction score
Need some help from the tech guys out there. I have a shop out back about 75’ from the house. Right now it has no phone or data service of any kind. What little cell phone reception I have in my area is completely nonexistent inside the shop which is an all metal building. Hell, the only way I can even get an FM signal inside the shop is if all the fluorescent lights are off, but that’s an entirely different topic.

While this lack of communication with the outside world is not altogether a bad thing, there are times I sure could use at least internet out there to listen to Pandora, look up a part, or even get on the forum to look up a technical problem. Also, with wireless in the shop at least I can send and receive texts to another Iphone.

So, I have great WIFI in the house but lose that signal about halfway between the house and the shop. Short of running an underground rated data cable to another wireless router inside the shop, is there a fairly inexpensive wireless way to get it out there. I know they make devices to boost the wifi signal at my house, but I’m concerned I won’t have reception inside the building without some sort of antenna/receiver mounted out there.

I’ve also heard that adding a repeater or booster to my existing wifi can weaken the signal or decrease the bandwidth in the house, which is not an option. So, anybody out there have any recommendations to solve the problem?

From my experience, there's no good way to solve your problem without running Cat 5/6 out to a new wireless router in the shop.

(I've never tried Wlfman's solution, which might be worth a good look. 4 1/2 stars from 88 reviewers is a good sign.)

As you mentioned, wireless repeaters have a built-in performance penalty. Here's a paragraph from this article:

“No matter what they are called or technology they use, repeaters start out with a minimum 50% throughput loss. The reason is that a repeater must receive, then retransmit each packet using the same radio on the same channel and with the same SSID. If the repeater is very efficient, then your loss will be close to 50%. But if it’s not, throughput loss can be higher.”
Plus, it sounds like the all-metal construction of your shop would still make it tough to get the repeated wifi signal inside the shop.

Is the power to your shop on the same electrical panel as the house?
If so get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-PowerLine-Adapter-Gigabit-DHP-501AV/dp/B004YW7W1A/ref=pd_cp_e_0
It is.

I see there is a wireless version as well:https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-PowerLine-Adapter-DHP-W311AV/dp/B00CKHG49W/ref=pd_sim_e_3 Have you used one? Works as good and as easy as advertised?
I have the wired version.

I use these two items (because I wanted to hook up more than one item in the remote location):

This one is plugged in near my router and a CAT5 from router to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YW7W10/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is pluged in in my repmote location and CAT 5 to a TV, Computer, Disk Station, and BluRay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RILLZO/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never had any issuse with it and its used to stream HD quality video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to try the wireless version so I can use my Iphone, which is the device I would use 95% of the time. All the reviews sound great. I'm not sure why your adaptor is nearly double the cost of the entire set up I'm looking at. Less capacity I assume.

A fix for the cell?; Wilson amplifier setup with outside yagi antenna and an inside repeater/transmitter. I had zero, nuttin, 4G LTE inside my house (foil wrap insulated, metal roof), rigged up this Wilson setup with the yagi high above the house pointing towards the cell tower... bamm, full bars of pure 4G LTE! (Link and my setup was for Verizon, shop appropriate category for your carrier).

801865-BUNDLE1_medlrg.jpg

I would look at one of the dedicated outdoor wifi repeaters. Run Cat5 from your router to the repeater so it gets the best signal. Mount it to the wall outside facing your garage. You should still be in range, and having no walls but the wall of your garage in the way will help. Right now, your wifi signal is weak by the time it goes through all your walls, and then you want it to go the distance.

It's not the cheapest option but it'll likely do the job. I'm not sure what models we are using at work, but we manage apartments and lately people want to surf their ipads by the pool so we are providing free wifi outside in the common areas as an amenity. There's lots of products for this though that would work well for your solution.

Haven't used this particular device but I think the 75' may be a killer. I use Simpler Networks adapters which work perfectly throughout the original house wiring. However, we extended the kitchen several years ago and took a power supply to an additional breaker board in the new kitchen. This cable is routed through the attic and may be close to 75'. 'Reception' in the kitchen is patchy at best YMMV

Hey Will,

PM me your address and I will send you a Wireless range extender. It worked for me, but I don't need it anymore. If it works keep it. Just pay it forward sometime down the road.

Bob

A fix for the cell?; Wilson amplifier setup with outside yagi antenna and an inside repeater/transmitter. I had zero, nuttin, 4G LTE inside my house (foil wrap insulated, metal roof), rigged up this Wilson setup with the yagi high above the house pointing towards the cell tower... bamm, full bars of pure 4G LTE! (Link and my setup was for Verizon, shop appropriate category for your carrier).
I've seen these and used them at jobsites before. I'd rather connect to my home internet carrier so I'm not using data through my employer's phone plan (company phone)

I would look at one of the dedicated outdoor wifi repeaters. Run Cat5 from your router to the repeater so it gets the best signal. Mount it to the wall outside facing your garage. You should still be in range, and having no walls but the wall of your garage in the way will help. Right now, your wifi signal is weak by the time it goes through all your walls, and then you want it to go the distance.
It's not the cheapest option but it'll likely do the job. I'm not sure what models we are using at work, but we manage apartments and lately people want to surf their ipads by the pool so we are providing free wifi outside in the common areas as an amenity. There's lots of products for this though that would work well for your solution.
This is where my search got me to before I posted. The problem I fear here here is trying to get the signal from the repeater through the metal siding and roofing of my shop w/o some sort of receiver mounted there as well.

Haven't used this particular device but I think the 75' may be a killer. I use Simpler Networks adapters which work perfectly throughout the original house wiring. However, we extended the kitchen several years ago and took a power supply to an additional breaker board in the new kitchen. This cable is routed through the attic and may be close to 75'. 'Reception' in the kitchen is patchy at best YMMV
From the little research I've done on these devices, length may be a factor but the amount of panels and possibly GFI circuits you have to travel through between adaptor and receiver units is a bigger issue. If so, I would have potentially the same results you have in your kitchen.

...possibly GFI circuits you have to travel through between adaptor and receiver units is a bigger issue...
GFI won't be a problem. If your electrical box has more than one pole you would be best served to have the adapters on the same pole.

Getting into the shielded (metal) structure will always be trouble with any wireless effort. You need to get into it before going wireless to the end device. Lots of food for thought already discussed.

The A/C piggie back solutions are one way as is the point-to-point radio between buildings.

Setting up a Mesh network is another. With a mesh solution, you can expand your WiFi connectivity to any area of your property you want based on how you design it (modules and the locations where they are placed).

Cell coverage is tricky without a costly Cell (mini towers - whatever they're called) that are usually sourced from the carrier. Those still need to get "into" the shielded building before "repeating/enhancing" the cell signal.

WiFi/Ip traffic would be my personal approach (if I read it right, that's what you're wanting too). One mesh solution that I saw a decent review of can be seen discussed here:

https://geekbeat.tv/editors-choice-open-mesh-wifi-network-for-large-homes-and-small-businesses/

You'd need to do some research to find out what products they offer to accomplish your goal. They even include a planning tool on their site.

https://www.open-mesh.com/

[note: not a customer or a shill. simply saw the review and it seems appropriate to know about for your research.]

Hey Will,PM me your address and I will send you a Wireless range extender. It worked for me, but I don't need it anymore. If it works keep it. Just pay it forward sometime down the road.

Bob
Bob,

That is a very generous offer. I'll shoot you a PM.

Well my IT guy from work loaned me a range extender and I tried it out. Definitely gave a signal at the shop but got nothing inside.

I found a powerline wireless adaptor from net gear similar to the d-link mentioned in a previous post for cheap from best buy. Will try that next when I get back in town. Did at least discover the garage feed and the outlet I want to plug in the adaptor is on the same pole per Ionbeam's suggestion above.

BuilderWill, please keep us posted as to what works. Mia casa has NO cell service whatsoever and my wireless internet won't reach my metal building also about 75' away. I'd be interested in getting cell service working here and possibly internet to the shop, but I maybe just dreaming!

We have a similar situation with my wife's embroidery shop. Our network guru at work highly recommended a directional antenna similar to this one -- https://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Wireless-Pole-Mount-Directional-Antenna/dp/B003LY6VHI He has used them in warehouse environments where the router is in one building and they need connectivity in a metal warehouse.

Since our building is wood, we managed with a range extender, and I hope that works well for you. But if not, maybe the directional antenna is the way to go.

BuilderWill, please keep us posted as to what works. Mia casa has NO cell service whatsoever and my wireless internet won't reach my metal building also about 75' away. I'd be interested in getting cell service working here and possibly internet to the shop, but I maybe just dreaming!
I definitely will. Probably won't be able to try it until this weekend. Just to be clear I'm hoping this gadget gets internet from my house out to my shop, but won't do anything for cell reception.

Well came home and took all of 5 minutes to read directions and plug in devices. Works perfect and has a great signal. As a matter of fact I'm sending this on my phone from the shop!

Thanks for all the advice, especially Wlfman. Best $80 I've spent in a awhile.