It's almost MILLER TIME!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Yep, just like we did last year, daughter Lauryn and I are gearing up to head back to World Superbike Races at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah in about four weeks!

We were in grandstand last year, but this time... it's the Paddock Patio, baby!!
bling_cool.gif

PaddockPadio.jpg

I have NO DOUBT that she wants to do another Superbike "Hot Lap" with the MMP Yamaha Champions Riding School Instructors... like she did here last year:

Lauryn departing on her hot lap - crank your speakers at the 0:40 mark!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_auMDXbC3S0

And EXUBERANT Lauryn returns for her Hot Lap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOxRxKXZWs

Unlike last year, AMA Pro Racing is returning to MMP along with World Superbike, so this will be one event filled weekend.... check it out!

Saturday Qualifying Sessions

Sunday Qualifying Sessions

Monday - Main Race Day Schedule

We're about 4 weeks from departure.... shyeah, BAY-BEE!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weeks for me, Sears Point with comp tickets! :yahoo: Taking my wife to her first Superbike races along with a nice long weekend in the wine country to celebrate her 50th.

Is your money on Ducati in Salt Lake?

woohoo! We're going back to Miller too...just with cheapie General Admission tickets though (with paddock access) :p

Last year at Miller, Carlos Checa *certainly* had both races easily won, when his Althea Ducati very mysteriously broke down within a few laps of finishing - and this happened in *both* races! :huh:

It is very ironic that Ducati pulled their factory team out of World Superbike this year, only to have a satellite Althea Ducati team lead the series championship. Carlos is very strong again this year; I would not bet against him at Miller.

That having been said, that Aprilia is just *so* blazing fast again this year... so it's worth keeping an eye on Max Biaggi on the factory team, and Noriyuki Haga on the PATA Racing Aprilia RSV-4.

Noriyuki+Haga+Superbike+World+Championship+ZjiF7FFhe4Hl.jpg

Noriyuki+Haga+Superbike+World+Championship+Tu_KMXTM0cSl.jpg

...Althea Ducati team lead the series championship. Carlos is very strong again this year; I would not bet against him at Miller.

That having been said, that Aprilia is just *so* blazing fast again this year... so it's worth keeping an eye on Max Biaggi on the factory team...
I've only been able to watch recent WSBK events on TV -- but: it appears (to me) that the wily old veteran, Maximiliano Biaggi (“the Pirate”; aka: The Roman Emperor), and the 'Priller V-4 has "extra speed" when needed... :eek: :unsure:

jes sayin'...

According to the commentators, to take real advantage of its speed, the Aprilia really needs to be on fast, flowing track like their next round at Monza Raceway in Italy. Apparently, it doesn't do as well handling the more uber-twisty tracks such as Assen or Brno all that well.

Max better do well at Monza, 'cuz Carlos is already 42 points ahead of him as of this writing, and Marco Malandri is just 4 points behind Max. Pretty good racing after just 3 rounds.... the Top Five are all riding different brands: Ducati, Aprilia, Yamaha, Honda and BMW.... awesome! B)

Well, damn if Superbikeplanet.com isn't teasing us hard with images of AMA Pro Racing testing going on at Miller Motorsports this past week.....

Here's a shot of recent Miller testing... sure hope the weather is this nice when we get there in 3 weeks....

Utah1021.JPG

Back to the human element, I haven't heard such a truthful giggle of glee in such a long time - WOW, she really has the 'the right stuff'! Be proud, pappy!

Back to the human element, I haven't heard such a truthful giggle of glee in such a long time - WOW, she really has the 'the right stuff'! Be proud, pappy!
I am, in fact, very proud of this girl... she has become an excellent rider. And she is JUMPING at the chance for another Superbike "hot lap" with the Yamaha Champions instructors. There is a rumor that Mr. Daytona, Scott Russell, will be there to take a few laps.... :yahoo:

Departing in about 48 hours..... hope the weather is decent like last year:

WSBK2010DMT-005.JPG

I am, in fact, very proud of this girl... she has become an excellent rider. And she is JUMPING at the chance for another Superbike "hot lap" with the Yamaha Champions instructors. There is a rumor that Mr. Daytona, Scott Russell, will be there to take a few laps.... :yahoo:
Hey Warchild, do you know/remember what the limitations were on being able to do a hot lap? If I remember correctly, you had to weigh less than 150 lbs or something, is that right?

I just saw a FB post from a friend from Birmingham, now in Tooele. It's snowing.

Not driving, accumulating blizzard snow, but snowing.

That was early this morning, just passing it along.

There is a rumor that Mr. Daytona, Scott Russell, will be there to take a few laps.... :yahoo:
I haven't been to a superbike race in quite a while, but when I did it was the era of Scott Russell. I have had 3 "encounters" with him.

In ~94 he was doing world superbike but would come back to Daytona and other selected races, one of which was Road Atlanta. I went up there with my girlfriend at the time, had paddock passes, and got the autograph, talked briefly, pics, yada yada...; he totally kicked arse in that race. You'd see him go by, eat some of your hot dog, drink some beer, then everyone else would come by.

A few yrs later at Daytona when he was on the ill-fated Harley Davidson team at the end of his career I wondered into the Ocean Center (where the HD displays were) and he was at a table with Pascal Picotte (his HD teammate) and no one was there. You know, the HD guys didn't know who he was LOL! I walked up there and talked to him and Pascal for maybe 30 minutes! Recalled the Road Atlanta race and some of the Daytona's I'd seen him (and Pascal) do.

Just a couple of yrs ago my wife and I met another couple at a restaurant on Speedway Blvd across from the racetrack. It wasn't bikeweek or any special event. We had a great meal and time in a booth at a window. When I got up to leave I looked back and he was sitting in the booth behind me with his wife and another guy; we kinda looked at each other - as in he was probably thinking "is this yay-who gonna bother me?", I just nodded and walked on.

I still got a Road Atlanta Kawasaki shirt with him on it somewhere...

I just saw a FB post from a friend from Birmingham, now in Tooele. It's snowing.
Wow, that doesn't seem right... weather.com says it's currently 58 degrees in Tooele... :unknw:

Sadly, however, it is now calling for rain.... every single day we are there. Fuck. :(

I didn't make it to the track today, when I woke up in Dillon, Mt there was two inches of snow on my bike. I said screw it and went back to bed. I got a late start so I didn't get here (SLC) until just after 16:00. I'm going to ride around town tonight and hit the track hard first thing in the morning. I hope it doesn't snow....

no snow here but yeah, weather has been crap here for quite some time.. UTaaaah weather is funky though and sometimes will clear up and be bright and sunny for a few hours right in the middle of a rain storm... hopefully that happens for you tomorrow.