Ivan's ECU Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazglenn3

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I had Ivan flash my ECU last year and it has been running great ever since!  The ECU was flashed with Holeshot slip-on exhaust cans as the mufflers.  I bought a set of Staintune slip-ons and am wondering if the ECU will require updating or will the Staintune cans flow similarly to the Holeshot cans?  What say you?

I just got off the phone with Ivan, and as suspected, there is no need to adjust the ECU flash.  So, I will have a set of Dale Walker's Holeshot Performance slip-on's for sale once my Staintunes arrive.  I'm excited to hear these.  The Holeshot cans sound good, but I understand these are the best.

The Staintunes arrived today and were promptly installed on Ebony.  Rode to work tonight and can confirm that the ECU tune is just fine for these cans.  What a nice deep bass sound they have!  They aren't that much different than the Holeshots, but a deeper sound.  Baffles out, of course.

The Staintunes arrived today and were promptly installed on Ebony.  Rode to work tonight and can confirm that the ECU tune is just fine for these cans.  What a nice deep bass sound they have!  They aren't that much different than the Holeshots, but a deeper sound.  Baffles out, of course.
I think the StaNTunes are much better looking too.

I think it depends on the generation of the FJR since the exhaust constrictions are in the cat/con, if it's moved inside the mufflers, then maybe. If upstream of the cans, then probably not.

I think it depends on the generation of the FJR since the exhaust constrictions are in the cat/con, if it's moved inside the mufflers, then maybe. If upstream of the cans, then probably not.
As far as I know, there are no aftermarket cans for the FJR that have catalyst in the mufflers so the Holeshot should not be different from the Staintunes.  You MIGHT see a slight difference going from OEM with cats in the mufflers to aftermarket but I would be surprised if it was significant.  Modern fuel-injected bike very different from carburetted engines with open vs restricted exhaust.  Still, I would defer to the guy who does the "tune".

I was hedging my bets because I wasn't sure if I remembered Yam moving the cat/con to the mufflers some time during Gen 3.  Thanks.

There's only so much and EFI can do to adapt. Best to keep things in the middle of that range so the EFI has the most to work with. So I still stand by removal of the cat/con (regardless of location) changes back pressures and deserves a tune to see any benefit (or experiencing "harm") to performance like so many cruiser people do who swap parts for sound and look instead of performance.

When I went from OEM to slip-ons, I called Ivan about having to flash again due to the change and he said that if you have had the ECU flashed in the last couple of years, there are no versions for OEM vs slipons, the flash is the same for all.

Regards,
Dan

My 2013 with 24k miles is telling me to get an Ivan flash in lieu of a tune-up at a dealer garage. The 29-mpg average is my fault she says when I mention the grumbly sounds in the cans, like gas passing through granny-panties, little dead farts in the middle of the exhaust flow, at idle. The start-up is always fast, idle is dead-right every time, no acceleration issues; the platform remains smarter and faster than me, as was explained personally by the Pie Man.

No point here except to say I'm trading time and convenience with an upgrade flash soon, and an excuse to post a recent pic. I'll remember valve check next time and thanks for reading.

ECU dreams.jpg