Jackets Jackets Everywhere!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quest for the perfect jacket. Long journeys. Maybe one day someone will make a jacket for a guy with a 49 inch chest... not a 46-48 which you can't put a layer under. Not a 50-52 which is great for layers in the winter but flaps around in the summer with the liners out. Good luck. Tried every brand I could find in the Atlanta area. Even tried many brands in the UK while over there on a business trip. Same issue. lol. Always between sizes....

The only option I have yet to try is Aerostich. I totally trust the quality.. but man.... they need some styling updates BAD. I can't bring myself to buy one.

For any concerned about velcro cuffs not holding properly, these https://www.dotfasteners.com/durable.html are an easily installed back up.
That could be a great solution. They have this heavy duty snap that will "withstand the toughest of environments and perform snap after snap" and claim it's made specifically for protective gear.

That is a nice alternative. But if I'm going to pay $______ for a riding jacket, which by definition is crash gear, I'd like it to be sewn with ALL of the necessary safety features by the manufacturer.
FJR-Pilot: Not sure which jacket you have, but the Olympia AST will not pass the sleeve test. A friend could pull it up my arm with barely 5 pounds of pressure. Ironically, the Velcro that Olympia uses for the vent flaps is unbelievably strong. You simply cannot pull it with one hand.

I do think making sure the sleeves are adjusted TIGHT at the bicep and forearm helps regardless, but for my money, again - if it doesn't come from the factory with a zippered cuff, I won't wear it.
I read this post yesterday while stopping for lunch and when I climbed back on the bike I tried to force my cuff up my arm on my Fieldsheer one-piece suit and it went up about 3 inches and stopped. Since I wear a gauntlet glove my skin was still covered. I like lonerider's suggestion of adding a good quality snap and make it tight enough around my wrist that it does not slide up my arm while not cutting off circulation or being uncomfortable.

... The only option I have yet to try is Aerostich. I totally trust the quality.. but man.... they need some styling updates BAD. I can't bring myself to buy one.
Yes. We really like Aerostich's custom fitted protective clothing in terms of safety but there is something missing in their product line: style. They're gonna lose me as a customer because of this. And I hate saying that because I really want a one-piece solution.

If I could spend someone else's money, I'd prolly get a Klim or Rukka but my budget is the 'average main stream brands' on sale.

Klim Latitude is working for me Very waterproof they claim 100% and I haven't proven them wrong to date. I have thoroughly tested it on 3 different occasions in heavy rain 10 hrs straight. All 3 times the cordura outside was wet but I remained dry inside.

Klim Badlands, . Very waterproof they claim 100% and I haven't proven them wrong . Plenty of vents for hot weather . Plenty of armour padding . Plenty of pockets

Klim Latitude is working for me Very waterproof they claim 100% and I haven't proven them wrong to date. I have thoroughly tested it on 3 different occasions in heavy rain 10 hrs straight. All 3 times the cordura outside was wet but I remained dry inside.
The only thing that worries me about the Latitude & Badlands is the color black. It just looks too hot! Here in the deep south 95 deg F and 95% humidity is brutal and those two just don't look like fun. The Revit Tornado 2 and the Rukka AiRock Jacket both have quality armor and abrasion protection with a much more "sun-friendly" light grey color.

Madmudder/festar - What has been your experiences with the Klim's black color in 95F and high humidity? Am I wrong to want to avoid this?

Been wearing a Tourmaster Intake 3 mesh jacket in the summers and its black. Wish I had thought about the color more and gotten grey or hi vis. It moves a lot of air and has armor in the shoulders and elbows. Has a spot for back armor but you have to buy it separate. Its a decent 3 season jacket with a rain liner and thermal liner. Haven't really tested it in heavy rain but bought it mainly to help with the heat.

Picked up a Klim Badlands Pro in hivis on closeout this winter. Its definitely a nice jacket and 3 season cooler weather. But I doubt I would ever wear it in temps 80f + degrees. Its just to heavy and even with the vents I would overheat for sure. Offers great protection though. Although it does have velcro cuffs. I been thinking about going full gauntlet gloves maybe teh 4 stroke.

The Rukka jackets seems pretty good but I read that they might be hot in slow moving commuter stop n go traffic. Klim Induction is a nice mesh jacket that caught my eye. Better protection but still a mesh jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
After (waaay too f'n) much research I ended up pulling the trigger on the Olympia MotoQuest Jacket & Pants. Quite a versatile set of gear. Its deep design roots and and its "exhaustive product testing" both led to the current production version. I like that it is a very qualified product from a professional standpoint. I also very much like the jacket styling and I think it will work well for both types of motosports that I enjoy: sport touring and dual sport riding. I'm also impressed that the owner reviews at Revzilla are very positive (4.5 out of 5 on 46 reviews). I have yet to receive my order but I am looking forward to trying them out!!
smile.png