July 2016 Pac Northwest Trip: Wheaton with wifey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George et al, thanks for the posts, I am thinking of maybe 300 miles a day for three days and a short day or other activity every fourth day. 400 miles for an occasional long day, and 200-250 or less per day would be her ideal. I have to layout what I can see with those constraints.

I may trim the mileage back some. I'm hoping to spend six days in BC.

Edit: That all being said...if it takes 350/day with a few longer days and a few shorter days, I think that is doable. I can always put a piece of tape over the trip meter. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
You sly dog...that's not really a shortcut is it?
wink.png

Oh, and thanks for the new screensaver.
smile.png

I talked Pops, Hudson & Wingshot into it the time we all meet in Castegar. Everyone that left our neck woods had 400 mile day, we had two 600 mile days.

Not suggesting that for Wheaton's but four or five days with the Mrs. he might even get lucky especially if he takes her to Ainsworth Hot Springs for a soak and lunch. :)

I talked Pops, Hudson & Wingshot into it the time we all meet in Castegar. Everyone that left our neck woods had 400 mile day, we had two 600 mile days.Not suggesting that for Wheaton's but four or five days with the Mrs. he might even get lucky especially if he takes her to Ainsworth Hot Springs for a soak and lunch.
smile.png
I'm all for roads on that route...wifey would love those hot springs.

I'll see what we can do...but we also want the coastal range in WA and Crater Lake in OR as well.

You need to talk to Ed FWFE, there are a few traditions that are mandatory in that part of the world.

IMG_20130803_152550_107_zps959f8b40.jpg

Holding Babe's Balls is one of the most important...

IMG_20130803_152306_231_zps11b9dbd0.jpg

And this...

IMG_20130802_124244_849_zpsae0560a6.jpg

You need to talk to Ed FWFE, there are a few traditions that are mandatory in that part of the world.
Holding Babe's Balls is one of the most important...

IMG_20130803_152306_231_zps11b9dbd0.jpg

And this...

IMG_20130802_124244_849_zpsae0560a6.jpg
I knew that there was something wrong with Far West Fukeen Eddie, holding Babe's balls just makes it all make sense now.

...and believe me, I would love to ride CA 36 and do anything I could to make FJRay tipover his bike again.

However, with wifey, 14 days has a smaller radius than I do alone...so I will fit in what I can.

smile.png

I talked Pops, Hudson & Wingshot into it the time we all meet in Castegar. Everyone that left our neck woods had 400 mile day, we had two 600 mile days.Not suggesting that for Wheaton's but four or five days with the Mrs. he might even get lucky especially if he takes her to Ainsworth Hot Springs for a soak and lunch.
smile.png

I'll see what we can do...but we also want the coastal range in WA and Crater Lake in OR as well.
How many days? I think you need an extra week. :)

I talked Pops, Hudson & Wingshot into it the time we all meet in Castegar. Everyone that left our neck woods had 400 mile day, we had two 600 mile days.

Not suggesting that for Wheaton's but four or five days with the Mrs. he might even get lucky especially if he takes her to Ainsworth Hot Springs for a soak and lunch.
smile.png

How many days? I think you need an extra week.
smile.png
Well, I've got two weeks to go wherever we are going to go. It's a cruel thing, having to make these 1st world choices.

How about here?
250532_3146669601274_1789219149_n.jpg
Where is that Pops? Never been there.

Bloody Mary and Blueberry pie (heated) alamode if you tell me.

You might see this.
DSCN5116.jpg
Hey Panman...that photo really got my wife psyched up for this trip. Where was this photo taken, and what am I looking at? I'd like to be able to tell her.

Also, going from north of Seattle to Valemount via Whistler...what city/town is the best to stay? Whistler? Or some place east of there?

Also, I believe I have talked my wife into about 6 hours of riding each day...3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. Riding at this pace for three days, then backing off to nothing or very little or doing something completely different every 4th day.

Also said a few days, we will have a longer ride just to get to our destination, but I only have that happening 1 or 2 days on the trip.

When I went through Whistler in August it seemed likc a bit of a cluster. Tons of people, limited parking, I'm sure you'll pay a real premium to stay near the shops and restaurants. Depending on how far you're going maybe Pemberton on Lillooet both seemed like nice small towns for a stop. Lillooet is pretty spectacular (pic off the 'net...).

bc-fraser-river-lillooet.jpg

Your looking at Mt Robson, about and hour out from Valememount BC headed toward Jasper Alberta. I would think Valemount would be night number two for you and the Mrs. taking the route I posted. And I would agree with Spud that Lillooet might be less spendy for night # one.

And that is just the beginning the whole trip down to Lake Louise is just awesome! Actually all the way over Oyama Lake is awsome.

The first time we meet I rode up to Valemount after Nakusp for the night and the next day I rode down to Big Fork Mt it was cold and overcast I didn't even see Robson and it was awesome that time. The riding is perfect for having the wife along as mostly not to technical but certainly not boring and decent roads.

Wheaton, for the Canadian part of your tour I would suggest you ascertain your timing does not coincide with any of the Canadian national holidays or you will find traffic and lines (ferries) at about 200 percent of normal.

Oh: don't forget your passports, eh?

It looks like I have narrowed the trip down to flying in and out of Seattle and touring mainly Washington and BC for this two week trip.

I will post up more details as I get them.

Wheatie, if you still haven't found a place to ship and store the FJR, give a holler.

Thanks Hudson. George and others have volunteered to assist any way they can. I just need to square up the trip itinerary and see if it works out for them to assist. If for some reason they can't assist, I will certainly give you a pm. Thanks for the offer Hudson.