Just bought a 2008 with low miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff in MN

Reaction score
New to the FJR, just bought a 2008 with 2200miles, planning to change oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid and coolant. Anything else I should do? Front end feels really heavy at low speeds compared to my Goldwing is that normal?

Jeff

...Anything else I should do...Front end feels really heavy at low speeds...
Check your tire pressures and the condition. At 2.2k miles the tires should be in good condition. The FJR seems to like ~40 psi front and ~43 psi rear. There are a number of things Yamaha didn't document well, such as the shift rpm, recommended tire pressure and the torque spec on the oil drain bolt. Your FJR shouldn't feel heavy at low speeds, out of curiosity -- what type tires came on your bike? Have you done anything to check or setup the suspension to match your size and typical cargo load?

Edit to add: Do you know if your FJR may have been lowered? When you get a chance take a peak at the dog bones (stockers will look like plain stamped steel) and take a look at the forks at the triple tree, the forks should be flush with the top of the triple tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its bone stock, I check the setup for my weight.
Ehh, what say? Speak up, don't be shy. ;) (Font size)

If the tire pressures are OK I got nuttin. Other smart people will be along with other ideas. If you were a bit closer to NH I'd offer to ride your FJR and let you know if the steering is typical or not. You might even get it back in time for some late fall riding :)

Well, as you might tell from my name (I am also known on other forums as Flickable), heavy handling is not something that you should experience for too long on the FJR. The Bin-O'-Facts used to have links to a lot of posts about ideal suspension settings, and it still lists them, it just doesn't seem to have the links any more. But, my personal favorite is by HaulinAshe and can be found here. It's a good read, and although I have linked the first page, where he has settings for his '05 FJR, there is further tuning discussed for the Gen II later in the thread. I think it's worth it to read through all the posts, as it helps learn what others have tried and you may find someone's post that is more similar to your own situation that has settings that will work best for you, depending on your weight, setup and riding style.

Although I am located in Kansas now for a project I am managing, I used to live in NC and road the Blue Ridge Mtns at least once a month, if not 3-4 times a month
punk.gif
. Now, I just have to trek over to the Rockies, which is a blast, it just doesn't happen as much
upset.gif

KISS Check the tire pressure first, by far and wide the most common steering problems have been found in tires, both pressure and wear.

That may consider what do you mean by low speed. Parking lot turns? You may not be used the CG's of the FJR versus the GW. Once moving at road speed 20+ at least, any steering issues should go away. Like Allen said do the basics first. Going from my dual sport to the FJR was quite a transition also. It might take a week or two to adjust.

Good luck.

Dave

Tire pressue first check. OEM tires on my FJR felt very heavy at only 4800 miles. A PR2 Michelin solved that problem.

Bill

Welcome aboard Jeff. Google search site:fjrforum.com brake fluid change for info on this forum on the procedure. You'll find info about why ya need to change that fluid so often here CLICKY 1. That heavy front feel: are you referring to the tendency of the bike to want to turn in at walking speeds after initiating a turn? Normal.

Gary

darksider #44

Welcome!

Looks like you've got a handle on the fluid flush thing, and if the pressure in the tires is within spec & the condition is okay (given their age)... I got nuthin.

My wing spends a lot of time in the battery tender since the FJR arrived in January. I got no complaints with her handling - though she might have a few complaints with my handling.

Best of success with the chase, and enjoy!

Congrats on the low mile bike. Great find!

Regarding heavy feeling front end...since the bike is likely still on the OEM tire and IF its a 'stone 021, that's likely the problem. Ditch the tire and move on to a PR2 or 'stone 023GT and you'll be much happier.

Enjoy the new ride!

--G

Welcome aboard Jeff. Google search site:fjrforum.com brake fluid change for info on this forum on the procedure. You'll find info about why ya need to change that fluid so often here CLICKY 1. That heavy front feel: are you referring to the tendency of the bike to want to turn in at walking speeds after initiating a turn? Normal.
Gary

darksider #44
Gary that is exactly what I feel, very different from the Goldwing.

If you have to keep a lot of pressure on the bars to keep your lean angle in corners, and the front feels like it wants to wash out, and your tire pressures are good, ditch that pos Bridgestone and try the PR2. My BT021 was TRASHED at 3300 mi.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the NEW bike!!

I have the same year 2008 and bought mine last Feb with only 2,900 miles on it from a local dealer.

If it was me I'd chnage those 5 year old tires.

That rubber is harder than it was back in 2008 for sure.

Mine had OEM tires on it also and twice riding hard in the twisties the rear stepped out on me.......NOT a good feeling.

I went back to the dealer and expressed my concern, and they sold me a new set of tres at near cost.

If you basically cruise/tour you might be ok but I wouldn't take that chance since you're on 2 wheels but that's me.