Just bought a black one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docholiday

Reaction score
I have been riding a liquid silver 2003 FJR since Oct 2002 and have had a great time even though my bike suffered through the "tic". Mother Yamaha made it all better but I was still bothered by the heat and the lack of ABS. I have been watching the GenII bikes to see if all the wrinkles have been worked out. I even tried the BMW1200GT, the Honda ST1300, and the Kawasaki Concours, the BMW was tempting but the price tag was a bit too steep. In the end I liked the 2008 FJR best. The black color looks sharp and as far as I can tell, Yamaha has gotten everything right with this model. Smoother than my 2003. Awesome brakes. It seems to handle a bit more sluggishly than my silver bike but the suspension is superior. The stock seat is better. The handlebar position seems comparable to my GenI bike with Heli risers. They have even made it easy to put on the frame sliders. I just wish they had the option of a cruise control. The throttle doesn't seem as stiff as my 2003. So far I'm very happy. Can't wait for the break in period to be over so I can put on some real miles. After paying for the new bike there aren't too many funds left over for farkles, but the basic bike doesn't seem to need much improvement. Congratulations Yamaha for a job well done.

Docholiday

Good choice!

I considered the BMWs, also. Soooo glad the FJR won. I respect BMW riders, but don't want their motorcycles anymore.

Get the Madco: Clicky It works great, and looks like it belongs on the 08.

Last edited by a moderator:
saw a pick of a black one today , looks sweet, congrats

:yahoo: Thanks for the well wishes. I'm keeping the 2003 in the stable so swapping parts is not planned at this time. I have a son who rides with me so he will be checking out the 2003 when he gets home from studying in Munich at the end of July. I sold the FZ6 that my son used to ride to get the new bike. He really liked my 2003 and suffered in silence on our long rides together with his FZ6. I figured he might like an upgrade in the comfort department. Time will tell how much he likes the change. I hope we get to meet some of you folks on the road this summer.

Docholiday

Just got a black one myself recently. I sold my BMW GS for it and look forward to lots of trouble free miles. I stopped at Blood Mtn and kicked tires with the sportbike crowd near Suches, Ga. I'm sure you'll love your new bike !!

100_0120.jpg

I also saw a black one (at the Moto 400 dealership north of Atlanta) today. Boy, is that a nice looking bike. Somehow it felt more compact than my '05, probably just because the bags were off it...anyway, I really liked it. Congratulations.

Looking very nice with that black beauty there and wise choice holding out until the 08's Doc. Your keeping the blood line going. And with style I might add. Ride safe, PM. <>< :D

It seems to handle a bit more sluggishly than my silver bike but the suspension is superior. Docholiday
Congrats on the purchase of the 08 Doc! :yahoo:

I know the gen II bike is a few pounds heavier than the gen I, those few pounds shouldn't be that noticable. Check the air pressure of the front tire. Keep it close to the 42 psi max, especially if it's the Bridgestone. They are notorious for cupping when run under pressured. It's definitley too soon for that to have happened yet, but low pressure will make it feel sluggish.

My first gen II was an 06 with BT020's, the front cupped @6k. I'm hoping for better results from the BT021's that are on the 08 I now have. Some have already had issues with the BT021's. If it holds true for me the second time I will definitley switch to the new Dunlop Roadsmarts!

Many safe miles may you & the new toy travel!

I have been riding a liquid silver 2003 FJR since Oct 2002 and have had a great time even though my bike suffered through the "tic". Mother Yamaha made it all better but I was still bothered by the heat and the lack of ABS. I have been watching the GenII bikes to see if all the wrinkles have been worked out. I even tried the BMW1200GT, the Honda ST1300, and the Kawasaki Concours, the BMW was tempting but the price tag was a bit too steep. In the end I liked the 2008 FJR best. The black color looks sharp and as far as I can tell, Yamaha has gotten everything right with this model. Smoother than my 2003. Awesome brakes. It seems to handle a bit more sluggishly than my silver bike but the suspension is superior. The stock seat is better. The handlebar position seems comparable to my GenI bike with Heli risers. They have even made it easy to put on the frame sliders. I just wish they had the option of a cruise control. The throttle doesn't seem as stiff as my 2003. So far I'm very happy. Can't wait for the break in period to be over so I can put on some real miles. After paying for the new bike there aren't too many funds left over for farkles, but the basic bike doesn't seem to need much improvement. Congratulations Yamaha for a job well done.Docholiday
Congratulations Doc. Enjoy.

I replaced my '03 (June 2002) that I destroyed last August with an '08 this weekend too. :yahoo: Had the tic fixed twice on the '03. I'm not expecting any trouble like that on this one. They've had enough chances to finally get it right. I did 200 miles (32o klicks actually) bringing it home and found the hand position acceptable but miss the grip puppies. I found that the relocated passenger pegs and the mounting frames are in the way of my size 12's. The seat is a rock and I miss the Rich's custom I had on the '03. That will be definitely be on my fix list. The brakes are great. Mind you, if I'd had ABS on the '03, I'd still be riding it. I didn't find my black bike sluggish at all and is as smooth or smoother than my silver FJR with its PCIII. I was pleasantly surprised that the higher 5th gearing doesn't hinder passing capabilities at all although even with a gear selection indicator, I still tried to shift to 6th at least twice. That black paint looks gorgeous in the sun but it will be begging for washing a lot more than the silver. I'll apologize to the bike now because I always prefer riding to washing. :D

Thanks guys. GreyTaz I agree with you that a custom seat is somewhere in my future. I also find that the black bike is very smooth and the suspension appears much more refined than the silver bike. I looking forward to many years of riding on my new mount. I wish you safe and happy riding.

Latest posts