Just Bought Used 2008 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbm

Reaction score
Bought this bike in September...Very Happy...A lot of fun to ride.

The bike did not come with the owner's manual...I have a minor question.

When the fuel gauge gets to one level and is flashing to show it is on reserve, the trip 1 goes to "F" and begins a count up from "0" in miles...can anyone explain what is going on?

Bought this bike in September...Very Happy...A lot of fun to ride.

The bike did not come with the owner's manual...I have a minor question.

When the fuel gauge gets to one level and is flashing to show it is on reserve, the trip 1 goes to "F" and begins a count up from "0" in miles...can anyone explain what is going on?
it is indicating the bike is running on "reserve" fuel which I on my Gen I (owner's manual) indicates is 1.32 gallons...it counts up from zero to tell you how many miles you are going while on reserve

if you have been computing your mpg, then it's safe to go another length of miles equal to mpg with a safety supply

my bike gets between 35-40mpg depending on conditions, so if I do go into reserve, I definitley don't like going more than 30 miles in unless I'm just trying to stretch it out to get near home

I don't think I've pushed it more than 220 miles in total.

hope that helps and enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR has a 6.6 gallon gas tank, at some arbitrary point when roughly 5.4 gallons of gas has been used it goes into a 'reserve' mode where it is now counting the number of miles you have driven into the remaining 1.2 gallons. Just round numbers for illustration purposes -- 5.4 gallons at 45 mpg is 243 miles, roughly where the gas gauge will switch to the reserve mode. Now that the gas gauge is in the reserve mode, you have roughly 1.2 gallons remaining which translates to 54 miles until you are walking, so you have 54 miles in which to find gas.

The owners manual says to fill the tank to the bottom of the metal strainer in the filler neck, this will give you the full 6.6 gallons if your bike is upright, like on the center stand. If you fill on the side stand it will result in a bit less than 6.6 gallons. How you ride and your particular FJR may get a bit more or less than 45 mpg, you really need to check it the old fashion way to find out what your mileage truly is. Your true mileage will most likely be different than what the display shows.

The FJR fuel pickup is designed to be able to use all 6.6 gallons of gas if the motorcycle us upright; meaning that with 0.1 gallons left and you are leaned so far over that the pegs are sparking the fuel pickup may become uncovered and start sucking wind.

You can read, download and save, but can't print the owners manual at the Yamaha web site >>CLICK ME<<

... but can't print the owners manual ...
Try here for a printable manual. It's UK, so has imperial gallons, immobiliser, and some differences in the lighting, but otherwise pretty much the same.

Other years, both variants (for "AE" read "AS"), are available, start here.

I am assuming Yamaha doesn't block foreign web access.

Or you just go to the US Yamaha site and get the US manual from there. No Imperial mMeasure to deal with and no talk about peski immobilisers and such. Not directly printable, but can be saved - and the print restriction can be removed if you know how.

https://www.yamaha-mo...rt_manuals.aspx

...You can read, download and save, but can't print the owners manual at the Yamaha web site >>CLICK ME<<
You can download a pdf restrictons remover to enable printing of a locked pdf file. If you Google "make pdf printable" (or something along those lines), I'm sure you will find something that works. I bought a used Yamaha Venture a couple of years ago that came without the owners manual and used a free program to unlock the on-line document so I could print it. Normally, I would not suggest "breaking" the manufacturers print protection/copyright but as the owner of a bike, I felt entitled to one paper copy of the owners manual for my own reading pleasure. Very different situation for something like a service manual which is not an entitlement for an owner. The service manual is not leagally available in electronic form; printable or otherwise (as far as I know). If you do any work on the bike yourself, I would strongly recommend investing in a copy of the service manual from Yamaha. Chances are it will pay for itself the first time or two you use it.

Ross

The owners manual says to fill the tank to the bottom of the metal strainer in the filler neck, this will give you the full 6.6 gallons if your bike is upright, like on the center stand. If you fill on the side stand it will result in a bit less than 6.6 gallons.

If you put your face directly over the gas tank opening while using a 200psi fuel pump you will be able to see exactly when the fuel level reaches the bottom ot the filler neck. The closer that you put you face, the better you will be able to see. Immediately after this your entire face and head will be showered by whatever grade of gas you have selected. If you are extremely anal in trying to get the tank full you may even be lucky enough to do this twice...............

The closer that you put you face, the better you will be able to see. Immediately after this your entire face and head will be showered by whatever grade of gas you have selected.

This is why you are wearing a helmet, just keep the face shield closed. As a side benefit, gasoline cleans off even the most stubborn dried on bugs!

Of course you could just slow the pump down, no need to squeeze the trigger all the way in.

Holding a lit match near the filler will allow you to see better. :eek:

(Kids, do not try this at home! To be performed only by trained professionals on a closed course.)

pete

The owners manual says to fill the tank to the bottom of the metal strainer in the filler neck...

If you put your face directly over the gas tank opening while using a 200psi fuel pump ...The closer that you put you face, the better you will be able to see. Immediately after this your entire face and head will be showered by whatever grade of gas you have selected. If you are extremely anal in trying to get the tank full you may even be lucky enough to do this twice...
Rideon, you sound like the kind of guy that causes manufacturers to put warning labels like these on things:

Warning: This product contains nuts.

Sainsbury Peanuts

Product will be hot after heating.

Mark and Spencer's Bread Pudding

Warning: Never iron clothes on the body.

Rowenta Iron

Warning: Do not use while sleeping.

Blow Dryer

This formula may cause drowsiness, if affected do not operate heavy machinery or drive a vehicle.

Demazin Infant Drops

Warning: May cause drowsiness

Nytol Sleep Aid

Warning: Do not attempt to remove blade while lawnmower is running or plugged into an outlet.

Craftsman Push Mower

Do not attempt to stop chain with hands.

Jonsreds Chainsaw

Warning: Do not attempt to swallow

Mattress

Caution: Contents may catch fire.

Matches

Rideon, you sound like the kind of guy that causes manufacturers to put warning labels like these on things:
No, I perform only for entertainment. This particular act was at a very busy truckstop. I think only two people now think slightly less of FJR riders...........

Only a couple of times have I gotten into that rarified 40+ mpg area, and always running on open roads in high elevation with non-California fuel. Be sure to carry a spare supply of fuel if you push much more than 45 miles when in reserve.