Just got new Cycle World today....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteman11

Reaction score
I almost bought one but good sense and this forum taught me different. Actually, there is only one Yamaha (Raider) in their total top ten. Thoughts?............

Did you really expect them to pick a 3 year old design as bike of the year?

They prefer to consider new offerings - and Kawasaki has the only new sport tourer out there.. So they get it almost by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
They prefer to consider new offerings - and Kawasaki has the only new sport tourer out there.. So they get it almost by default.
I figured as much, just wanted to start some shit here on a Monday. Humor me will ya?

I figured as much, just wanted to start some shit here on a Monday. Humor me will ya?
I do not care for the looks of the C-14 at all. The FJR wins hands down in that area for sure.

I've heard good things about the Raider. I like the way it looks. If I could, I'd probably have a Raider in the stable.

In a similar vein, Motor Trend actually requires that car of the year and truck of the year nominees be totally new or newly redesigned models. So when something like the Shamu-bodied Chevy Caprice or the '71 Vega gets Car of the Year you know why: there weren't nobody else.

In a similar vein, Motor Trend actually requires that car of the year and truck of the year nominees be totally new or newly redesigned models. So when something like the Shamu-bodied Chevy Caprice or the '71 Vega gets Car of the Year you know why: there weren't nobody else.
'71 vega fucking rules.

C14 ST Cycle World bike of the year

Don't care, the FJR1300 has been MY bike of the year, every year, since I first demo rode one in 2003. Still is.

Last edited by a moderator:
local guy had an 08 C14 with 1200 miles show room condition on Corpus Christi craigs list for 8500 I called but had sold already. Thats was a good buy-he indicated he had a lot of bikes and bought the new models when they came out said he had a new Busa coming also

local guy had an 08 C14 with 1200 miles show room condition on Corpus Christi craigs list for 8500 I called but had sold already. Thats was a good buy-he indicated he had a lot of bikes and bought the new models when they came out said he had a new Busa coming also
I think the FJR is hands down the best looking bike (C14 is ugly to me) and in general liked my 06 FJR but might have bought the 08 C14-for that kind of money you could ride it a while and sell it for what you paid for it.

You must take much of what any magazine writes with a gain of salt. If you were a magazine writer and a major motorcycle manufacturer asked you to write up a review on their new bike, but informed you the test were being performed in Hawaii and all of your expenses were paid, including unlimited golf, room, food, drink and entertainment; how would you rate your bread & butter?

No review is better than the review that comes from owners. In straight line performance the C-14 wins hands down. But if straight line performance was what we were all after, wouldn't we have bought a ZX-14 or a 'Busa?

I've now seen 3 of the 2008 C14s on Craigslist for $10K.

See if you can say that about a 2008 FJR.

There's how real people and the market compare the two.

I am only passing along an exerience I had many years ago and not making a claim:

I worked in sales for a small appliance/electronics retail chain here in SW VA. When I had a customer get really vocal about why I would ever claim that something was a better product or better buy than anything Consumers' Reports recommended a customer of one of the other sales staff turned around and asked if he could say a few things about CR. He went on to explain that he had been a contributing editor/staff writer/ or something and although they do not accept advertising $, they do give stronger reviews/ratings to those companies that tend to spend more in R&D. Of two comparable proucts, the one whose maker spent more in r&d got the recommendation. This was a full 15 years ago and responses to this topic brought this experience to mind. Carry on.

C14 is Bike of the Year for Rider magazine, too.

Rider is pretty explicit, though, that only brand new or substantially revised bikes are even considered for BotY. The FJR wasn't in the running this time around.

And for a new model, the C14 really is a pretty sweet bike. I'd rather have an FJR, but I like what Kawi tried to do.

While not particularly enamored with its looks, handling or low end, I think Kaw has a viable design that will be a stronger contenter in Gen 2 or 3. As for right now I was surprized that they missed the target by as much as they did given they were shooting a stationary one. In any event, I really like what the C-14 has done for the ST market, think about it. It used to be that the young hot shoe moving up to an ST from a sport bike invariably ended up on an FJR. So did his inevitable expensive underwriting habits. Now the C-14 seems to be the ex - squid magnet. :yahoo: I predict we will enjoy a better insurance profile thanks to Kawi's positioning.

Just my thoughts . . .

It should be clarified that CW rated the C-14 the "Best" bike of 08 in the "Sport Touring " catagory and it is not THE bike of the year.

There were 10 catagories ranging from Best Middleweight (Honda CBR600RR) to Best Touring (Goldwing) , Best Superbike (Ducati Desmosededici RR)..

"Bike of the year" makes it sound like they picked it above ALL others.

If you remember, the FJR won this catagory a few times. Lets see if the C-14 wins again next year..

KM

The C-14 is a nice bike. It will be good competition for the FJR and will keep Yamaha from resting on its laurels. I'll be happy to see more ST bikes out there and fewer of the cruisers and sportbikes. The ST riders as a group seem to take their riding and safety more seriously. You just can't do long distances if you are not conscientious about safety and comfort. ST riders also are demanding as far as handling goes, that sets us apart from the Wingers to some degree. Competition improves the breed, so the more ST bikes and the better the ST bikes, the better for us as a whole. I think the C-14 engine and transmission give something to Yamaha to think about. I'll be curious to see the Gen 3 FJR. B)

Rest easy guys! As a former 2005 FJR and current C14 owner both bikes are really close overall.

On a personal note this makes 3 Bikes of the Year for me. 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750, 2005 FJR, 2008 C14.

Ride safe.