Just Installed 30mm Lift Dog Bones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road_Runner

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
Thought I should write this before I get used to the change and forget what is was like before the shorter (shorter yields more height) dog bones were installed. 

What a difference!  Before installation, the bike seemed reluctant to turn-in.  After, much more willing to turn-in, with significantly lighter steering.  Raising the rear steepens the steering angle, and the flip-side could be twitchy steering and straight-line stability, but I didn't notice any possible drawbacks.

The aftermarket "bones" were about 15mm shorter than the stock ones. 

This is mentioned other places on this forum, but since there are several threads advising jacking up or supporting the bike to get the bolts out, I just wanted to say that this is not necessary.  I did this (based on a thread on this forum that I can't seem to find now):

1.  Loosen bolts while on sidestand.  Leave them on, just loosen them.  They are difficult to get at properly when on the centerstand, and I wanted them loose first.

2.  Put bike on centerstand, then either shim rear tire or jack up swingarm with jack and wood until bones are loose.

3.  Take out top bolt and nut.  

4.  Take off lower shock mount bolt and nut.

5.  Swing assembly forward and you can JUST get the bottom bolt out.

6.  Put bottom bolt and nut in going through both new dog bones, then put shock mount bolt and nut back on.

7.  Adjust the jack or wood shim until the new dog bones line up with the holes.

8.  Put the top bolt in and tighten.

I did a before and after measurement, and got a 5/8" difference in the height of the tire on the centerstand.  

The seat is higher by what seems to me to be about 1/2 the rear difference.  This one is a bit more difficult to measure.

The bike also leans more when on the side stand.  Don't think this will pose a problem, but will be monitoring it. 

I did that to a Yamaha Venture I used to have.  Steered like a truck before but raising the rear end helped a lot.  Heavy bike with a wide front tire.

Both my FJR and Tenere are set up with increased ride height courtesy of their Penske’s. As long as you don’t go overboard straight line stability is maintained and turn in is quicker. Nice improvement. 

~G

Yep, did that to my '07 shortly after I bought it. Levels the bike for 2-up riding and steers much better. Still does. Just be careful with the kickstand on a downhill.

Shoulda seen what shorter dog bones do to an FZ-1!