Just Me and Pop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great story to follow. I've been checking this thread every day to catch the latest installment. It sounds like so much fun riding with your dad. I wish I could have done something like that with my dad, but he wasn't into motorcycles. He was more of a hunting and fishing kind of guy. He had a 35 year airline career, and I tagged along with him on a few trips before he retired in 2002. One trip to Dublin, and two trips to Paris. Doing a pub crawl with the old man, listening to his stories about his younger days in the Navy before he met my mom...priceless. He passed away in 2007...I sure miss that guy.

I've also ridden in fog so thick that you can only see one stripe ahead. Visor cracked open so it wouldn't fog up, wiping away the moisture as it beads up...and using the GPS to avoid nasty surprises at the next turn. I knew exactly what RFH meant when he described it. It sucks, but sometimes has to be done to keep putting the miles down.

This RR is getting me stoked for my next tour...starting on the 22nd, I have 16 days off. A buddy and I are taking our FJRs north to hit Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Hwy, Glacier Park, Banff, and the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper, then work our way back south. Weather permitting, of course. I'm hoping for 5K-6K miles, but I could never put together a ride report that is this entertaining.

Fred, obviously I did not navigate entirely by the GPS but I did and do rely on it heavily. The fog was exactly as thick as I described, no exaggeration there. I use the GPS to give me an advance warning of the direction of the upcoming turn, not to actually make the turn.
I might add in here that I used to be able to put the title "Captain" in front of my name, I held a 100 Ton Masters License. I made a decent amount of money running fishing charters and running a shrimp boat. GPS and radar are invaluable tools in our Louisiana Coastal Waters.

Pop still has a 50 Ton Masters License and his fishing shirts still have "Captain" on them. The shrimp boat is long gone but the bay boats are still in use. No radar on the open boats but the GPS is in almost constant use.

I would never advocate riding the bike via GPS, that little video game has a serious potential to end in disaster. But I do it.

Crazy? Yes. I never saw one other vehicle on that road the entire time we were wrapped in the fog. Not one. But there were a bunch of folks huddled up at the pull-offs. They and you certainly have the right to think I was/am crazy/stupid. But neither they nor you can dictate how I choose to live/die/ride. I use the GPS effectively. I don't recommend that technique to anyone else.

Guess I hit a raw nerve here. I was not trying to tell you or anyone else how to ride their bikes. I just mention what a GPS's inaccuracy is so that nobody else would be so foolish as to try and steer by GPS. That is what you made it sound like you were doing. That is the part I thought you may have been embellishing.

Navigating by a GPS out on the water is one thing, but on a 12 foot wide road lane, it is quite another. I'll just leave it at that. Sorry for the tangent to your RR.

Please do carry on.

It's all right Fred. You and I both have big egos and neither of us likes to be wrong. (I had to have my friends explain the definition of wrong but you can probably find it in the dictionary) It sounded as though you were questioning my honesty and no, I did not like it.

While I don't mind embellishing and polishing a good story, my description of the fog and how I rode it was as accurate as I could make it. No, I would not want anyone else to try it. I don't think it is safe to do so and the price of failure can be high. It is also worth noting that I was doing about 10 mph, seldom more than 12 mph. Yes, I am aware of the error of the GPS.

It is also worth mentioning that I never earned my Radar certification for my Captain's License. The radar was on a commercial vessel but not one we used for public charters.

Take note in this photo of the GPS location on the Honda. Factor in how high the dash is on the Honda compared to the FJR, you will see that it opens up a whole different viewing angle. What I did with the ST1300 I would not attempt with the FJR.

...I use the GPS to give me an advance warning of the direction of the upcoming turn, not to actually make the turn...
...I just mention what a GPS's inaccuracy is so that nobody else would be so foolish as to try and steer by GPS. That is what you made it sound like you were doing...Please do carry on.
I do know what 'Fish was talking about, I have used my GPS to show me what the road is going to do in the near future. I wasn't using it to guide me from stripe to stripe, just let me know to be alert for the road making a turn, the direction of the turn and to have some idea just how sharp the turn will be. I polished that skill(?) in CA both in the clear daylight so I had some idea how sharp the upcoming turn was going to be and in the dark to simply know that a sharp turn was in my future so I could adjust speed and sometimes location in my lane well before the turn showed up. The riding was done watching the road, the GPS just gave a short look into the near future.

And now back to our regularly scheduled Ride Report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 7, Friday Sept 12th

We woke to a light rain and the radar showed more in our chosen path. We had the FCB at the hotel and were the only folks in the room, I guess because it was early. The usual check, check and double check of everything, and getting the bikes loaded had become second nature. Our road routine was now comfortable habit.

Because I had plans for just back roads and had no idea how far we would get that day, there was a full page and a half of turn by turn directions in my tank bag. We set out in the rain snug and dry in our rain suits.

Within the first half hour we had crossed into Alabama and for the most part that state was a joy to ride. We were seeing new sights and riding new roads, the bikes were purring along and all was well. We were able to discard the rain suits after the second hour.

We were running roughly parallel to I-59 but just a few miles east of the interstate. Our roads were always changing, sometimes 4 lane 65 mph freeways, other times narrow 2 lane 35 mph country roads. We were really enjoying it.

I had figured on spending that night close to the Alabama/Mississippi border, we had no real plans and I was not in a hurry to get anywhere. Pop and I had discussed it and had agreed that we would not jump on the Interstate and head home and that we would not push on to get home if we saw ourselves getting close. We were going to take it easy and enjoy our last day and a half or so of this great trip.

The best laid plans of mice and men... Without much effort at all we were closing in on the Mississippi border and it was only 3:00pm. I knew that was going to present an issue. 4:00 pm found me stuck in traffic in Hattiesburg MS. Since you folks don't know this, that is about 2 interstate hours from Dad's house.

I asked The Old Man if he wasn't about ready for a room. Wasn't he getting tired? No, he said he had at least another 2 hours in him. Then, he asked me where we were. Oh boy.

"Hattiesburg Mississippi?! I am going to the house!"

I went through the "Now Pop we agreed" speech and told him I really did not want to get on the interstate.

"Son, we have cut across the entire state of Alabama corner to corner all on back roads. We have had a hell of a good day. Are you gonna tell me you can't get me home from here?"

Uh, no. I wasn't about to tell him that. I did point out that we were going to be well after dark getting to his house.

"You know they actually put lights on the front of these things. In fact, you even added some lights so we should be fine."

About 45 minutes from Mom's house we stopped so I could call and tell ask them to please cook some supper. Pop was needing a break, his knees were feeling a bit cramped and he needed to walk around a bit anyway. My ST1300 has slightly more legroom and I knew a bike switch might ease a few aches in both of us, so we swapped bikes for the final 45 minutes to his house.

We arrived in the rain. I unloaded Pop's bike and he immediately rode it around to park it in his shop. I made some sarcastic comment about a bike that dirty needing to be left in the rain and Pop surprised me with his reply. "I started to leave it and hope some of the grime and bugs washed off. But I don't want my new seat sitting out in the rain overnight. I love that Laam Seat."

Mom fed us an excellent supper, Pop was in an extremely good mood and I still had another 20 or so minutes to my house.

Pop said to me, "You hate to see a trip this good end don't you? You know there will never be another one just like it." He paused and told me I had done a wonderful job.

I rode home in the rain, in the dark, and just a little bit sad over ending this fantastic trip. But, as always the excitement of seeing Mrs. Redfish and Redfish Jr. was creating a lump in my throat that made it hard to swallow. When the big Honda idled up the driveway my 10 year old son was standing under the carport watching for me. He opened the door and yelled to his mother, "Daddy's Home!"

And, I was.

Wow....simply wow!

Fantastic report, thanks for sharing this jewel, and your thoughts about it!

I'm kinda sad it ended too.

A great read, I hoist my morning coffee mug to an amazing trip with your father, a feat many of us will never know.....

Just excellent....thanks for sharing RF!
punk.gif

I rode home in the rain, in the dark, and just a little bit sad over ending this fantastic trip. But, as always the excitement of seeing Mrs. Redfish and Redfish Jr. was creating a lump in my throat that made it hard to swallow. When the big Honda idled up the driveway my 10 year old son was standing under the carport watching for me. He opened the door and yelled to his mother, "Daddy's Home!"
And, I was.
Lump in YOUR throat? What about the rest of us? Enjoyed a tear or two reading the final paragraph above. Dorothy had it right my friend: "THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME." On a related note, I know something about the time and energy that goes into writing a report like this. Thank you for your investment in both this forum and the rest of us po-boys who can't afford the time or the money to get out and do rides like this. And especially for those of us who would give just about anything just to spend a few minutes with dad again...

Ha- he used to come home from work each day at 5:00. I would run to meet him and offer to carry his lunch box for him. Many times he would buy a candy bar in the lobby just before he left the shop. I would open his lunch box to see if there was anything inside. He'd ask me what I was looking in there for, and yelp at me about being nosy. We would then argue about who the candy bar was actually FOR when I found it in his lunch box. Funny how I ALWAYS won that argument.

Gary

darksider #44

I think I'll call my dad tomorrow. Something's telling me I just need to hear his voice.

Sitting in an airport waiting for a flight home after visiting Dad in his rehab/nursing home. I thought of this RR today while sitting in his room, watching him sleep. He is nearing the completion of his journey at 84 years of age. Although I love my Pops dearly, I never had the sort of experiences with him that RFH's report details. We shared a few interests, but mostly I was somewhere else after leaving home. I would see him and Mom on the holidays and once in a while just for no special reason. We lost Mom back in '94 (while I was living in San Diego) and now I am in Buffalo and Pops is fading away in Florida. I urge everyone who can, to spend as much time with those you love as you can, for as long as you can...

RFH, thank you for sharing your experiences with your Dad. My Dad is a cranky guy (my sister says I inherited that gene!), but that's just a front. For the most part, I am sure our parents love us even when we aggravate them!

I want to sincerely thank every one of you for adding a bit of your own experience to this RR. For those of you who shared a little of your personal father/son experience, I really appreciate you. When I do these RRs I have several different motivations. Obviously I want to entertain and amuse. Obviously, I want you good folks to be able to use this as a travel guide. Obviously, I just like to "hear myself talk". And obviously, I am tremendously proud of my Dad. I like to brag about Pop. But I also hope that I remind each of you that if you still have the opportunity to make every spare minute count, please do it. Once the opportunity is gone, it's gone.

Pop and I were surprised at how many people approached us and how often on this trip. We almost never had a fuel stop or rest stop without someone coming over to speak to us. I think it was because it was just two of us. Perhaps more than two bikes is a "gang", I don't really know. I do know that with only one exception every biker we spoke to was super nice, they all seemed happy just to be out riding. Several of them were impressed that Pop was riding that Yamaha. They may not know what it is or what it is capable of but they know it looks serious and that "old man" is riding it.

While we saw mostly Harleys and a good many GoldWings the one bike that we saw in surprising numbers was the K1600 BMWs. There were quite a few of them and they really are an eye catching machine. Pop said that they looked big and heavy but he would like to try one. I think they look great but I don't think that is the right bike for me.

No cable car ride ..lol

After the hike back up we chilled in the hallway where the rest rooms where located and borrowed an outlet so my dying cell phone could charge.

Our first night was spent in Franklin, NC and we rode up from there to the tunnel.

The second night was in Rodgersville, TN we rode the Rattler to Hotsprings, NC on our way to Gatlinburg and spent the last night in Ringgold, GA.

It was really a good trip for us I used the Nav in my phone to get us from point to point using the avoid highway function.

Oh yea we bought some very good moonshine in Gatlinburg at the Ole Smokey Moonshine Distillery.