Kern County Streetmasters Final Exam ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hit the Road Jack

Reaction score
Since you're planning to test your new found cornering skills, I'd like to volunteer to show you folks some of Kern County's hidden jewels enroute to the super slab northbound, via Cal-Bodfish Rd. This will be a variation of MadMike's planned route.

I propose meeting you guys on Sunday morning, May 4th at the entrance to Willow Springs raceway (you'll know where that is), at 9:30am.

From there, west on Rosamond Blvd. to Tehachapi-Willow Springs Rd., over the pass to Tehachapi.

A few back roads around/thru Tehachapi onto Woodford-Tehachapi Rd. This is an awesome curvy road, freshly resurfaced, with a scenic stop at the historic Tehachapi Loop, a railroad engineering marvel from the 1860's. At Keene, onto Hwy-58 for a few miles thru the mountains (my daily commute) to the Caliente turnoff. From Wofford Heights, Hwy-155 to Glennville, and Old Stage Road toward Porterville (see my avatar photo) offer more jewels!

Google Route Map

Many excellent roads in the area that you owe to yourself to experience. Perhaps MojaveFJR, Cal City FJR and jlhsaa could join in for the ride too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're planning to test your new found cornering skills, I'd like to volunteer to show you folks some of Kern County's hidden jewels enroute to the super slab northbound, via Cal-Bodfish Rd. This will be a variation of MadMike's planned route.
I propose meeting you guys on Sunday morning, May 4th at the entrance to Willow Springs raceway (you'll know where that is), at 9:30am.

From there, west on Rosamond Blvd. to Tehachapi-Willow Springs Rd., over the pass to Tehachapi.

A few back roads around/thru Tehachapi onto Woodford-Tehachapi Rd. This is an awesome curvy road, freshly resurfaced, with a scenic stop at the historic Tehachapi Loop, a railroad engineering marvel from the 1860's. At Keene, onto Hwy-58 for a few miles thru the mountains (my daily commute) to the Caliente turnoff. From Wofford Heights, Hwy-155 to Glennville, and Old Stage Road toward Porterville (see my avatar photo) offer more jewels!

Google Route Map

Many excellent roads in the area that you owe to yourself to experience. Perhaps MojaveFJR, Cal City FJR and jlhsaa could join in for the ride too.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. I don't know much any of the stuff after the Caliente area. Been to LI several times but via the 14 not the 58 so that should be different.

If it is as nice weather wise as today was (26th) it should be awesome.

I will be there.

Ping Lancasterfjr and see if he wants in.

Sad i will be solo for this as the SO loves that ride.

See ya then.

I am soooo all-over this! I've already put the route into my GPS. :yahoo:
Wow isn't Elk Grove WAY up North? If so you must be pretty hard core. :D :D :D
Yebbutt...

Elk Grove is just South of Sacramento. And I'm one of the group coming to the Streetmasters course (Linked Here) on Saturday. Sunday is our trip home, so why not make it "interesting"?

Besides, this is the beginning of the "tune-up" rides for NAFO (see signature line). :yahoo:

Spoke with the GF this AM. She is in for this ride as well. SO, look for two on an 08. Of course now we are going with or without others. No biggie, we love two up on the FEEJ. So nice.

Thanks for the invite; I'm usually busy on Sunday's till 1:00. Yesterday, I road from Bakersfield to Wofford Heights, down 178 back to Bakersfield. The road from Wofford Heights to Glennville is in great shape. Enjoy your ride

JLH

I sure hope we are doing this.

Getting a new tire for this ride and the GF is amp'ed up for it. Guess we are going with or without others. Not that I mind. I love to ride the FJR and she enjoys seeing new places. Nothing like taking a SOCAL native to see their state. ;-) Its all good.

I am soooo all-over this! I've already put the route into my GPS. :yahoo:
Wow isn't Elk Grove WAY up North? If so you must be pretty hard core. :D :D :D
Yebbutt...

Elk Grove is just South of Sacramento. And I'm one of the group coming to the Streetmasters course (Linked Here) on Saturday. Sunday is our trip home, so why not make it "interesting"?

Besides, this is the beginning of the "tune-up" rides for NAFO (see signature line). :yahoo:
This sounds like great good fun for our return trip! I'm up for it!

WARNING!!!!!!

They just repaved the Tehachapi Loop road and it was a bit greasy when I was there two weeks ago, but prolly ok by now. Further, at the overlook, the bitumen was softer than soup, so watch those side stands.

Hmmmmm..... I may have to come over and meet some of you folks. Thinking about this for a Sunday ride if'n you're ok with me tagging along.

Just realized I'd have to be on the road by 0600.... a little late for me :)

Bitumen is a mixture of organic liquids that are highly viscous, black, sticky, entirely soluble in carbon disulfide, and composed primarily of highly condensed polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons..... from Wikipedia

Hmmmmm..... I may have to come over and meet some of you folks. for a Sunday ride if'n you're ok with me tagging along.
Just realized I'd have to be on the road by 0600.... a little late for me :)
The more the merrier. You can explain to me what the hell bitumen is. :blink:
Absolutely, come and join us!

bitumen=pavement, asphalt, etc., most commonly as "bituminous asphalt" or "bituminous pavement".

BITUMEN: any of several materials obtained as residue in the distillation of petroleum, coal, tar, etc., or occurring as natural asphalt.

Yew needs tuh git yerseff don tuh thet Costco en bye wunna them Webster's New Worldly dickshunariums.