Killed my Engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ion, sorry the bike is down. Not much advice to offer but just to say, I feel your pain. When our bikes are injured we are as well. So hopefully here's to getting it fixed and all things back to normal very soon. Take care, Del. <>< :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about it.

With the compression of the FJR engine, it's likely it's a "Zero Interference" engine. The valve recesses should not allow the valvy to touch at TDC with the valve completely open. I have another Yamaha I-4 with 8.5:1 compression that you can push the valve wide open and spin the crank all you want. It will never touch the piston.

If the valve does touch the piston you will hear a loud tapping noise that will be much louder than your cam chain. If the piston does make contact it will damage the piston and bent the valve.

It sounds more like the cam chain broke. It's probably laying in the oil pan right now.

Good luck.

Zero compression at all 4 cylinders pretty much sums it up. Does anyone know if the FJR engine is a zero clearance engine? I see that the pistons have valve reliefs in the dome, so I'm hoping that means there is some valve to piston clearance.
Starting around 20k miles I would occasionally hear a bit of rattling that was traced to the cam chain area. It was very light and would come and go without any regularity. The chain tensioner was tested and seemed to be OK. At 34k miles it was rattling a lot more often and with greater vigor. As I approach 40k miles my engine would often sound like a diesel with the chain clattering. As the chain clattered I could watch the tach wander in synch with the noise and I was getting vibrations that could be felt in the engine & chassis. I was hoping to get through the 10/13 fall foliage ride, then tear it apart and repair it at my leisure.

The rapid spiral to death started Saturday morning when I retracted the cam chain tensioner plunger then released it again. Upon release it seemed to make a strong and full release. I tapped the starter button, but was wholly unprepared for the mechanical racket that ensued. I was so stunned that I may have delayed releasing the button as quickly as I would have, if I had been expecting a problem. Poof, just as quick as that the engine was dun fer. Immediately after the mechanical cacophony the engine would spin like mad when the starter was pressed but there was no sign of firing. I had some hope because there were no bad mechanical noises when the engine spun. The garage gremlins had hidden my 10mm compression gauge fitting so I was left to do a bit of field troubleshooting. No codes, the cylinder identification sensor does not produce an error code or a reading on the diAG screen. The spark plugs looked good; using the diAG test function I could fire all 4 plugs with bright blue sparks. Putting it in 1st gear I could turn the rear wheel by hand (ignition off) but it took major effort so there was some initial hope that the compression was good. Using an audio tube I couldn't hear the cams moving in the bearings, which took away some hope. Then the garage gremlins finally coughed up the 10mm fitting and I did the compression test. If some of you as far away as the Mississippi River and the Gulf Coast heard a loud primal scream around noon today, it was me, after reading the compression gauge. My guess is that the cam chain has come off the crank sprocket.

I'm really time challenged right now so I might have to seek a dealer in the NH area for a resurrection. This will be the first time a dealer will touch my bike since some early warranty issues were resolved. I'm really pissed/bummed about this. I'm going to make one more quick pass at it tonight to see if I have missed anything else while troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to cancel the 10/13 fall foliage ride. Details to follow tomorrow.

:angry: :puke: :angry: :puke: :angry: :puke: :angry: :puke:

I was wondering what the heck that sound was. I thought that somebody drove over a moose's foot or something. And I am really sorry for your loss, hope it's not to bad.

Alan, that just sucks.

Good carma passed your way. hope you get rolling again soon.

And again Thanks a million for fixing the controller for me! :)

I just had to "bump" this thread.

I don't want it to disappear into cyberspace and hope Alan finds some resolution.

Plus, I think the reason and result is terribly important to the FJR community. I'm afraid I have a Cam Chain Tensioner issue developing and frankly, it scares me spitless.

Alan, please keep us posted.

Thanks to everyone for your concern and advice!

There is no update yet, it will be next week before I have the time to address my problem. I just hate it when work gets in the way of play :glare:

I will pass on all the gory details as they come in, and will try to provide forensics as to what went wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan, Sorry to hear of your engine issue's, but keep in mind when repaired it will be still, so much faster, smoother and more powerful than any GenII that Yamaha has been able to produce as of yet. Hope your back soon!

Sorry to hear about your problem Alan. I do have a fine 06AE down here about 80 miles away... :rolleyes:

I do have a fine 06AE down here about 80 miles away
Cool, I figure we can get an engine swap done over the weekend. I guess I could throw in an AVCC install as part of the deal. ;) Oh wait, that will leave me without a clutch :eek:mg: Never mind :nono:

Hope you have good luck moving your virtually new AE soon! If Santa leaves your wife something like this, do you think she could be adjusted to fit the AE?

inv_bar_full.jpg

A brother has fallen and need our help.

Why don't we ride over Saturday morning and help Alan take the engine apart and see what falls out? I'll bring a camera and some beer and we can 'help' him put it all back together. Sunday NH folige ride to follow. Plan?

Why don't we ride over Saturday morning and help Alan take the engine apart and see what falls out? I'll bring a camera and some beer and we can 'help' him put it all back together. Sunday NH folige ride to follow. Plan?
I'm ready...

I'd love too. However, I've done so much riding lately that the "honey do" list is TOO long. Looks like have to work around the house Saturday. Besides, the weather looks like crap for Saturday. Good luck to those of you who do go and keep up posted as to what "falls out" of Alan's engine.

Tom

Yes it's a zero interferance as are the vast majority of all current production engines. Good luck, it's not a hard job, but just prey for easily fixed damange. The heads really take a beating when that happens. We remanufacture teh 1000 and 1100 PWC versions here.

Yes it's a zero interferance as are the vast majority of all current production engines. Good luck, it's not a hard job, but just prey for easily fixed damange. The heads really take a beating when that happens. We remanufacture teh 1000 and 1100 PWC versions here.
Great opportunity to get that pesky valve guide issue sorted, too.

Good luck..... :)

I'm ready...
As am I. Alan, seriously, if you need/want help with this just say the word. I've done plenty of head gaskets and all sorts of timing work on my cars (SAABs and BMWs mostly) and it's all pretty much the same thing, only on a smaller scale. I also have most every tool you could need for this kinda work and I even have a garage that I could make some space in if you don't.

Or if you only need beer and commiseration I'm there for that too... :rolleyes:

First, let me thank everyone for your suggestions, interest and offers for help!

Ok, here is an update. My personal schedule sucks right now, I haven’t even been able to look at my bike, let alone put in the time it will take to gitterdone. It is with great reluctance that I will be taking my FJR in to a dealer for the repair. I've spent little bits of time interviewing dealerships and have selected one that I think has the best chance of providing competent mechanical work and reasonable personal service. Now all I need to do is start printing $50s, I figure about 15 lbs worth should do it ;)

I had a fine fireside chat with the mechanic that will be doing the work. He is a ticker fixer, so he has been there, done that, and not a newbie to cylinder heads & engine removal. He had some interesting things to say about the cam chain tensioner too (here after referred to as a CCT). He says that the CCT in the FJR is used in several other applications and he has changed a fair number of them. Jake says that Yamaha has picked up some of the other CCT replacement costs. He says that there are two areas of weakness. The first is that the teeth of the ratchet are too small and too closely spaced which can cause extension errors. He says that the early Connies were like that too, and Kawasaki finally changed to coarser teeth. He also says that there is an oil passage that sits behind the CCT and oil pressure plays a role in how the CCT interacts with the slipper, even though the FSM doesn’t mention it. The owner says he will call Yamaha and speak with the technical group and see if he can get Yamaha to pick up part of this repair.

I hope to get my FJR to the dealer this Saturday and have a diagnosis on the following Tuesday. Once I see how this dance is going to play out I will determine when and how to pass on the name of the dealership.

How I was feeling a couple of weeks ago:

balloon.jpg

How I’ve felt the last couple of weeks:

flat.jpg

Keep your chin up Alan. If Mamma Yamaha picks up some/most of the cost it'll be good. Plus having someone who has fixed a few "tickers" is a good thing. My fingers are crossed here in VT. Plus I want to know if I need to have my dealer look at my CCT this coming spring before mine explodes.

Tom

Latest posts