Kings Canyon / Sequoia National Parks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
Last Thursday, Catherine and I rode with the Quicksilver chapter of SCRC to Three Rivers, Ca for their California Rally. We stopped at Harris Ranch for lunch (the service s*ked; but when you have "great beef" (at least in your mind) it doesn't matter). The food was good but not worth the wait except for allowing us to cold off and get hydrated for the rest of the ride across the valley.

Friday, we rode from Three Rivers through Sequoia and down into Kings Canyon to the Kings Canyon Lodge for a late lunch and then back out the West Entrance and down Hwy 245 and Dry Creek Road to Three Rivers. At Three Rivers the temps where in the high 90s at the highest point on the highway through the Parks it was 62. Saturday, we reversed the route and spend more time in Kings Canyon. This time the temps in the highest point of the highway in the Park was 52 and 90s in the valley floor plus it was "raining" on top.

Since we were riding in a group, the road captain determined the picture taking points so I didn't get to take as many pictures as I normally do. Doesn't matter - we'll be going back! :yahoo: I'm a native Californian but this was the first time here - why oh why did I wait so long!!! :angry2:

Click for the map and more pictures.

Here's a real tree :yahoo:

sentinalTreeSequoiaNP_20090529_pan_001.JPG

Don't get between Momma and her club. We spent about 15 minutes watching them. A "papa" bear showed up on the road below and the cub heading up a tree until Momma called the cub back down.

sequoiaNP_20090529_016.JPG

Looking East from the first paved Overlook on Hwy 180 going down into Kings Canyon.

kingsCanyonCA_20090530_pan_001.JPG

We stopped at the Kings Canyon Lodge and they still use these gas pumps from 1928. It's a minimum of six gallons at on 5/28/09 the price was $23. By the way, you can get gas at Hume Lake for a better price and no minimum.

kingsCanyonCA_20090529_001.JPG

This picture is a composite taken at the entrance for Boyen Cavern. Don't look up too fast as your equilibrium will not like it!! :rolleyes: This picture was taken from about 40 yards from the wall.

boyenCavernKingsCanyonCA_20090530_pan_003.JPG

Lotsa water flowing

boyenCavernKingsCanyonCA_20090530_pan_002.JPG

One of the many great sunsets

sunsetThreeRiversCA.jpg

Oh, how I miss the great Central Valley and its surroundings!

nice pics!

Dude!

The pic of the river called "lotsa water flowing" is 1 1/2 hr ride from my front door on the FJR. I'm up on the river probably a dozen or more times a year (thus the name biking fly fisher).

Glad you enjoyed my personal National Park, I'm always more than happy to share. Have you tried my other personal National Park - Yosemite?? A tad more peeps on the road there.

biknflyfisher

Glad you enjoyed my personal National Park, I'm always more than happy to share.
You're one lucky dude! - :rolleyes: but it is so marginal riding :rolleyes: how can you stand it?? :unsure:

Have you tried my other personal National Park - Yosemite??
:rolleyes: Never heard of it :rolleyes: We do day trips from the Bay Area to various points in the Park several times a year.

So many good places to ride in Calif, so little time.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Roy, you should've made the dash and grabbed yourself that cub.

You Do Hopefully realize a Bear can outrun a quarter Horse for a short distance.???????

They go from Zero to Top Speed in a single lunge........( How's that low speed surge doing on your FJR?????)

Good Luck on your Bear-napping adventure..... :lmaosmiley:

OM/Roy,

Ping me when you go, my Dad lives in triple crik (3 Rivers) and I ride down to visit him often. I have a route to there from Merced that avoids all slabs (takes about 4 hours) as it winds through the hills above Fresno and Woodlake. Good ride in itself and avoids most of the traffic.

Latest posts