KrZy8 down n out?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one other option: Strip the farkles for later use and see how much you can get for the bike as-is. Some industrious local may want a winter project bike. But I'd explore the "repair" options first.

Don, check your email.
Wow, Hal comes through, again! Looks like I'll be keeping KrZy8 and heading for the magical 200k club after all! (Assuming of course, it's just a head gasket). Long of short, Hal will have another opportunity to add his name to some of KrZy8's internals! :yahoo:

1.jpg

For a parts list...

2. Head gasket
  3. Valve cover gasket
  4. Timing cover gasket
  5. Radiator hoses (why not, we’re there!)
  6. Exhaust gaskets
  7. Coolant o-rings
  8. Sparking Plugs
  9. Head bolts
  10. Muffler gaskets
  11. Air filter
  12. Oil filter
  13. Car tire

Am I missing anything?

I'd be real surprised if you end up needing the valve cover gasket. That is a pretty sturdy item. Have you done a CCT change?

You ask, "Anything else"?

Yep, extra oil and filter to fill, run briefly and dump to flush out any remaining coolant in the crankcase/tranny.

The coolant does really bad things to bearing surfaces if left in there.

I'm glad that Hal has stepped up to the plate to help you with the repair. Good friends are hard to find... Talented friends that good are priceless! :yahoo:

Will be following along, keeping fingers crossed that it is just a head gasket problem.

Don

For a parts list...

1. Head gasket
  2. Valve cover gasket
  3. Timing cover gasket
  4. Radiator hoses (why not, we're there!)
  5. Exhaust gaskets
  6. Coolant o-rings
  7. Sparking Plugs
  8. Head bolts
  9. Muffler gaskets
  10. Air filter
  11. Oil filter
  12. Car tire

Am I missing anything?

Forgot the brake stay needed for the new Car Tire.

Don't know if you should require muffler gaskets. I have my mufflers off and on without harm to the gaskets. 90% chance that the valve cover gasket will be OK. Maybe 75% for the timing cover gasket. If you haven't done the CCT, do it now. Don't know about exhaust gaskets. Personally, I wouldn't change rad hoses unless they are hardened or cracked.

Good Luck!!

Ross

First off, I wouldn't order anythging until you get a look at the innards and determine for sure what happened. No point buying all these parts if the engine is toast.

I added comments below to your parts list

For a parts list...

1. Head gasket (duh!)
  2. Valve cover gasket You won't need this. You will need a little O2 sensor safe silicone sealer for the half moons.
  3. Timing cover gasket Cheap enough, but you probably won't need this gasket either.
  4. Radiator hoses (why not, we're there!) Why? Are they in bad shape? I guess if you really want to. I wouldn't bother.
  5. Exhaust gaskets You won't need these. They're tough metal rings
  6. Coolant o-rings yep
  7. Sparking Plugs yep
  8. Head bolts yep
  9. Muffler gaskets You shouldn't need top take the muffs off the pipes. Just leave em all clamped together and pull them off the head in one piece.
  10. Air filter sure
  11. Oil filter OK
  12. Car tire No!!! If you learned anything from my experience it is that you should ride someone else's CT bike first ;)

Am I missing anything?

Be sure to post up photos of the HG procedure if it is fact the HG. :)

+10 on that. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that repair.

Also, if you do find that there was a breach between cylinders and the deck of the block has been eroded. Don't forget that JB Weld can be used to fill those voids. On the head side, I'd just replace the head. But the block side might be worth trying to salvage.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Hal wants a cushy place to work you can ship it here and use one of my lifts in my heated shop with the brand new 40" TV that my wife just bought. Hal can use the guest room now that my daughter moved out and I can watch and cause trouble. There is beer in the shop fridge. :yahoo:

If Hal wants a cushy place to work you can ship it here and use one of my lifts in my heated shop with the brand new 40" TV that my wife just bought. Hal can use the guest room now that my daughter moved out and I can watch and cause trouble. There is beer in the shop fridge. :yahoo:
To heck with Hal, I'm moving in! :yahoo:

Screw the CCT. He has a Gen II. I ain't never heard of one of the newer blue dot one's going bad.

Glad to hear you and Hal were able to work something out. The Kool Kids Klub (200k+) is in desperate need of a Gen II fag. You would be perfect for the role! :p

btw DC, my valve adjustments cost me a whopping $650. So that should make you feel better. And also why I need to learn to do it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am following along in DC's tire tracks.

My gen 2 now has 114K.

I have no intention of getting rid of it, though since the IBR my mileage has been slowing down a bit.

I am glad Hal is learning how to do this on yours, just in case I need it some time down the road... :clapping:

@RossKean-"Forgot the brake stay needed for the new Car Tire"- LOL, I am glad that this thread really has a sense of humor and DC is showing a lot of class while in a difficult situation.

Don, sorry about crazy 8, but looks like you have a plan.

mean time little something to cheer you up.

DSCN0474.jpg

Screw the CCT. He has a Gen II. I ain't never heard of one of the newer blue dot one's going bad.

Glad to hear you and Hal were able to work something out. The Kool Kids Klub (200k+) is in desperate need of a Gen II fag. You would be perfect for the role! :p

btw DC, my valve adjustments cost me a whopping $650. So that should make you feel better. And also why I need to learn to do it myself.

The older Gen II doesn't have the "blue dot" CCT. At least mine ('07) didn't so I changed it out last summer. Not sure when they changed the part design but it was fairly recently. Had no issues with the original at 50,000 miles but figured it was cheap insurance.

I am following along in DC's tire tracks.

My gen 2 now has 114K.

I have no intention of getting rid of it, though since the IBR my mileage has been slowing down a bit.

I am glad Hal is learning how to do this on yours, just in case I need it some time down the road... :clapping:

@RossKean-"Forgot the brake stay needed for the new Car Tire"- LOL, I am glad that this thread really has a sense of humor and DC is showing a lot of class while in a difficult situation.
I was pretty darn happy after reading Hal's email! ...and sometimes all a feller can do is grin and go with circumstances. :lol:

The older Gen II doesn't have the "blue dot" CCT. At least mine ('07) didn't so I changed it out last summer. Not sure when they changed the part design but it was fairly recently. Had no issues with the original at 50,000 miles but figured it was cheap insurance.
650 is a bit high but puts all into perspective.

I too replaced the CCT with the newer part at first sign of noise.

...heated shop with the brand new 40" TV that my wife just bought.

There is beer in the shop fridge. :yahoo:
Damn, I think we all need to visit Ray and give him a hand...at drinking his beer! :)

Good you're able to get the '06 up and running again Don! Hope KrZy8 makes 200k in the near future!!

--G