Lakes and Launches

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Saturday, 7/05/08, I had the rare opportunity to go for a motorcycle ride.

I headed east to higher elevations, hoping to escape the heat of the valley.

I had no real plan in mind at first, and after running up Hwy. 50 and getting off

at the Sly Park exit, I figured I'd best come up with something.

Why not find a mountain lake and hang out - on the boat ramp - and take some pictures?

But why hang out? Why not just run all over the Sierras, to a bunch of different lakes, and

get shots of the boat ramp at each one?

A crappy plan perhaps, but I had a load of fun doing it.

I'll note the elevation of each lake as I add them to the list.

Here we go.

Just minutes from where I'd exited the highway, I encounterd my first opportunity.

Jenkinson Reservoir - elevation 3478 ft. And of course the morning light is always nice too.

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

One more overlooking the lake.

IMG_2144.jpg

Around near the campground.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep...

IMG_2146.jpg

Stopped on the way to Silver Lake

IMG_2153.jpg

Silver Lake elevation- 7200 ft. I love this lake. Great camping and hiking.

And the mountains make a nice backdrop.

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

Caples Lake elevation- 7950 ft. Just a few minutes from Silver Lake.

I couldn't actually get on the ramp with my bike here.

Small ramp and busy. I'da had to get in line. They didn't realize that I was a journalist.

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

On down the road heading toward my next lake, a fellow rider saved me from a ticket. On a long downhill grade,

I was cruising at a healthy bit above the limit I reckon, when I was given the "bring it down" wave by an

oncoming Beemer GS rider. Around the very next bend, literally hiding in the trees, Mr. CHP was set up.

I'd have been toast. Thank you brother. Thank you.

Back to the lakes. Next.

Red Lake elevation - 8200 ft. A very small lake. No ramp. Water like glass. A good

few fellows fishing though. They must stock it, even though it's tiny.

IMG_2165.jpg

With no real route in mind, I continued east on 88, and then turned north on 89. This is a very pretty little valley, (Pickett's Junction?)

so I snapped a couple at the intersection.

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

I decided to proceed into South Lake Tahoe, get a sandwich lunch to go, and then continue

on till I found a lake where I could sit and enjoy my meal. Into SLT, late morning, holiday weekend.

Ugly. Heavy traffic. Bad, aggressive drivers. Deadly. Grabbed my food, and beat feet the hell out

of there. Yuck!

Started west on 50, but it was jammed up, so I shot back down 89, just to get away from the madness.

Lakes? Lakes? I'll go hit those few due north of Kyburz! But instead of taking Ice House Rd straight up that stretch, I'll

backtrack down 88 to Mormon Immigrant Trail, to 50 down there, then jump on 193 just out of Placerville, then up to Georgetown, hang a right

through "downtown" and slide out and down ---- Wentworth Springs Road! Again! Oh my!

But I'm ahead of myself. Off 88, just west of Pickett's Junction, a small, but lovely road-

(by a pond on the side of that road)

IMG_2179.jpg

takes you to-

Blue Lakes! Two of 'em. Upper- 8131 ft. Lower- 8055 ft. I've only got pics of the lower, because the

bumpy-assed dirt road to the upper was not suited to my skills on an FJR.

IMG_2188.jpg

'twas here I enjoyed my lunch. Smoked turkey, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, sliced peppers, a smokey,

spicey Chipotle sauce, on a Ciabatta roll. Chips and a diet beverage. (Howzat for ya Hit the Road Jack?)

Sorry. No close-up of the sammy. It steamed up my lens.

IMG_2194.jpg

This report is really going to hell, huh?

Okay, I'll skip over all the stuff between lunch and my next lake. Which was

Union Valley Reservoir. elevation- 4900 ft.

This is a pretty big lake, with lots of campsites around it. I couldn't get down the ramp here, because it was quite

narrow and steep, and a "drop" here would have been unfortunate.

I wasn't "feeling it" with this lake. Not sure why.

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

The next 47 lakes after a quick break here. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to break at the nudist beach? I wonder why. Great pics, though.

Just kidding. Only a few more.

Next up.

Icehouse Reservoir. elevation- 5500 ft. These folks came ashore just to check out the dork who'd

brought his motorcycle down the boat ramp.

IMG_2203.jpg

Then they motored off in disgust.

IMG_2205.jpg

Heading to Loon Lake.

IMG_2213.jpg

Didn't go all the way to Loon Lake. I just stopped and sat on a big rock near where the

previous photo was taken. Relaxed for a bit (napped), and the decided to just head back

to the barn - but only AFTER tearing up Wentworth Springs again.

Little thing happened on that ride.

I'm really into the curves, on a very nice right hander, scraping the hell out of it, rolling it on

in 3rd, feeling like I should be doing this professionally, when - whooosh! A guy in white leathers, on what I think

was a big Gixxer, flies around me like I was riding a bicycle. Aaaand, still leaned over, hanging off, gives

me a thumbs up. Then he's GONE!

Well then.

I shift up, slow down, and start thinking I'd perhaps be better on, say, a Gold Wing, or a Burgman, or something.

I mean, my AARP discount would help with the purchase.

Ooo! Another lake up ahead. The last one this trip! I promise.

Stumpy Meadows Reservoir. elevation- 4260 ft. Maybe it's just the late afternoon light,

but I found this little lake especially pretty. For the first time all day, I was wishing I had a small boat, and

some fishing tackle, and a campsite, and some firewood, and some beers.

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

Then home. An hour or so, listening to Nirvana and the White Stripes. Go figure.

Thanks for coming along. I appreciate it.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
And to think that because I wasn't willing to get up at the crack of O dark thirty I had to settle on Point Reyes National Seashore. Though beautiful, the roads out there are no comparison for the Sierra's. Glad you had a good time. Looks like loads of fun. Sorry about the Gixxer. Happens to all of us.

Beautiful pictures Michael. You have a real talent for conveying what was out there, to your audience. There are those of us who can snap photos all day long and not get anything like your artwork there.

Thanks for sharing.

Jill

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Oh, and I had an FJR sighting on 193 between Placerville and Georgetown, mid-afternoon. I was going up through some tight stuff and he was coming down.

Silver and riding with another bike.

Walt?

Very nice pics.... Me thinks you like the solitude and peace of riding without a bunch of folks around. Looks like you had a great day. I am sure you will find the peace and solitude that you seek at NAFO. Rich

Theme riding...I like it.

I thought about a cute waitress ride once, but I'm a pig.

Michael you are averaging about a 9.5 on your ride reports. Lots of 'em and you certainly know how to convey the feeling of riding solo.

Great stuff! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well done, Michael! I like the themed ride idea! Ya can't just ride aimlessly. Gotta be on a mission of some kind.

And thanks for thinking of me and following the proper ride report format! Good sandwich choice.

Thanks all for the kind comments.Oh, and I had an FJR sighting on 193 between Placerville and Georgetown, mid-afternoon. I was going up through some tight stuff and he was coming down.

Silver and riding with another bike.

Walt?
'Twarn't I. I was on the other side of 80, all alone, cameraless.

This is good. We ought to figure out a way to make you the official chronicler of this outfit. Not only good work, but lots of it, all posted in a timely way, and all entertaining and enlightening.

Once again, another nice ride report!!! The Pics are so crisp and clean. This must have been a low humidity day???? The water is perfect but I would venture to guess.....cold.

As always, thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Hmm, if he is going to be the group photo journalist than he needs a name change. I would like to recomend say "MIKEY ANGELO" you know related to that great painter or something like that.

Nice work on your photos. :)

Little thing happened on that ride.I'm really into the curves, on a very nice right hander, scraping the hell out of it, rolling it on

in 3rd, feeling like I should be doing this professionally, when - whooosh! A guy in white leathers, on what I think

was a big Gixxer, flies around me like I was riding a bicycle. Aaaand, still leaned over, hanging off, gives

me a thumbs up. Then he's GONE!
Same thing happens to me except I'm in 5th, scraping my big belly against my tank and it's a kid on a BMX bike, flippin' me off. :lol:

Great write up Mike. Thanks for bringing us along on your adventure.

Great report! Oh, how I long to be riding in that part of the country. If only the Feej could pull a bass boat--I would have loved to fish in those lakes! Someday...I will make the trek out there. Thanks again!

:fan_1: