Latch screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal1

Reaction score
What tool do you use to tighten the two screws on the bag latches? One of them keeps coming loose and I've tried several different drivers etc.. to tighten it. But nothing works.

I wish they would have come with Locktite on them, I lost my lock a few days ago on the way to work. Good thing I had the topcase one for a spare!!

What tool do you use to tighten the two screws on the bag latches? One of them keeps coming loose and I've tried several different drivers etc.. to tighten it. But nothing works.
See your dealer. They assemble the locks to the cases for delivery, and thread locker is part of the prescribed assembly procedure.

I had the same problem. T-10 Torx. When you buy the screwdriver, make sure you check the tip - there should be a small hole, right in the center.

Plus, like everyone else is saying, get lock-tite.

See your dealer. They assemble the locks to the cases for delivery, and thread locker is part of the prescribed assembly procedure.
The paperwork on my 08 came with instructions to loctite the screws when assembling the bags, but they still didn't do it at my dealership. They didn't do it when I bought my 04 either. I guess the point I'm trying to make is to check them regardless. They do loosen up if they don't have loctite on them.

GP

Almost lost one of mine as well. First thing I did when I got it home was to check the locks and they were about to fall off. I'd go back to the dealer and at least let them know what happened.

Looked at the locks on my 07 a few weeks back based on the information in the Bin-O-Facts. Purchased the bike used just before winter. I have a "security bit set" I picked up at from an online tools suppler which included the security torx bit. Glad I checked them as none had loctite applied and two of the screws were very loose.

Ironically, this very thing happened to me this past Sunday on my 08 AE. I first noticed that one of the screws was gone; I thought I had enough time to get it home a few miles, but I ended up losing the lock. Thank God I had the spare lock that was to be used for the topbox. Today, I went to auto parts store and got a torx bit kit with the hollowed tip; it worked fine. I will add locktite tomorrow. I'm thankful I didn't lose anything in the case. To my fellow FJR Owners, please double check the screws.