Lawn mower EXPLOSION narrowly avoided!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Rambling, insomnia inspired account of how my riding lawn mower nearly went up in a Dukes of Hazzard/A Team/Blues Brothers style exploding fireball today:

My riding mower is a nothing fancy, big box store sold, simple (add fuel injection and it would be the technological equivalent of a new Harley), B&S gasoline powered, American made…

Uh oh, detour rant: American made-disappointment. Bought at big box store at a big discount and as-is, because it had been returned. It wouldn't cut grass worth a damn. Or roll freely-it felt like it had a dragging brake. It had been bought, returned, sent to outside vendor for repair, returned again, then sold as-is no warranty to me. I guess the repair solution for the poor grass cutting complaint was to sharpen the blades and send it out the door. I got it home and tried to mow-WTF! It didn't make since for this thing not to mow any better than it did. Back in the garage on level concrete-EUREKA! The front of the mower deck is riding 3 inches lower than the rear. With the deck adjusted to ride level and the toe on the front wheels reset to roughly parallel, this orphan machine has served well through 5 years of use and abuse. Disappointing that the OEM let the machine out the door so poorly set up and that the repair shop didn't do any better. The last piece of Made in the USA machinery I've had that made me proud said Freedom Arms on it. I'm sure there have been others; I just can't recall them at the moment.

Where were we..oh yea..B&S engine, gravity feed fuel tank. This thing has (or use to have) all kinds of safety nazi inconveniences on it. Must apply brake to start; put in reverse with blades engaged –shuts off; unweight seat a little too much while mowing down hill-cuts off, etc.

So I go out today to harass some dormant Bermuda and dead leaves. Luckily I check the oil- way overfull. I didn't overfill it, nobody else in the household puts oil in anything. Funny smell too. The crank case is full of gasoline! The float needle has leaked and gas has gone through the carb, into the cylinder, past the rings and into the crankcase. Can't believe the Ralph Nader crowd hasn't mandated a vacuum or manual fuel shut-off valve. The owner's manual probably says to drain the tank and run the carb dry after each use. I do that for winter/long term storage, but who does that between each use during cutting season? I spent the afternoon draining gas out of the crankcase and through the spark plug hole and adding a manual gas valve.

If a "gas in the oil" induced fireball sounds far-fetched, think again.

A car with a sludged-up inline 4 cyl engine came in for service a while back. After shoveling sludge off the top of the head and cleaning the oil pump pick-up screen, we added a mixture of fluids (as we have done often) to the crankcase that included kerosene and ran the motor to flush out remaining goop. The motor was idling along nicely and had reached normal operating temp… until. We noticed it had lost a cylinder. As soon as we cracked the throttle BOOM! The valve cover was blown off, oil was everywhere, shorts were soiled (figuratively speaking). The skip had been caused by a sticking intake valve. When the throttle was opened, the cylinder fired back through the stuck intake valve, into the intake, through the PCV system and into the crankcase, igniting the kerosene fumes. I suspect gasoline would be more easily set off than K-1.

We can still get ethanol free gas around here, so that is what I put in my lawn equipment whenever possible. Float needle failures have been around longer than ethanol, granted, but if ethanol can damage some rubber (like that on a float needle) as many claim, and a machine uses gravity to move fuel from tank to carb, and the tank isn't emptied after each use, and there is no shut-off valve, AVOID FLAMING SNAPPER- CHECK THE OIL before each use.

Glad the Flaming Snapper didn't get you :rolleyes: The ethanol fuel doesn't store for shit and it ruins carb parts, run them dry whenever you can. I use the ethanol free stuff in all my stuff and recomend it to customers. For winter storage I fill both my collector cars with it and add a healthy dose of sea-foam.

Can't believe the Ralph Nader crowd hasn't mandated a vacuum or manual fuel shut-off valve.
Consider this a warning. Keep the thread non-political if you want to continue talking about lawn mowers.

Contrarian view/opinion: I remember distinctly my first ethanol blended gasoline fill-up (in a fuel-injected motorcycle) in 1982 -- and have used it freely since (almost 30 years).

I have never had anything happen that I can say was, even remotely, caused by ethanol.

Of course (and, apparently), YMMV... :blink:

Beware the Flaming Snapper should be your new signature line :lol: .

I agree that it can be a real problem. I have propane powered Onan generator in the camper. On that engine, they takeprecautionss to ensure the crankcase is vented before starting.

If a "gas in the oil" induced fireball sounds far-fetched, think again.
Nope, been there, done that, with a Yamaha Vision 550. Many years ago, long before huge corn subsidies were a twinkle in a corrupted congressman's eye. (not sayin' ethanol is good...)

[rant]

Now THAT was a muthafrakkin abortion of a motorcycle design. It had a two-barrel car-style carburetor on a twin (yes, worse than a Harley) with an accelerator pump that either didn't work, or flooded the engine. It had pressurized front forks that were always leaking fluid, even when new, and which provided as much suspension as either a broomstick or a wet noodle. It also had the Yamaha Inebriated Combustion System (YICS) that was constantly blowing o-rings and making the bike smoke and smell of either raw gas, or smog. Oh yeah, and a rear drum brake that could have probably slowed the bike better if you dragged it behind on a rope.

[/rant]

I had that sucka either backfire through the carbs, or blow off the YICS cover and burn the crap out of my leg. The last straw was when it leaked gas into a cylinder and into the oil, and did the blow-a-valve-cover-off stunt. It made my ears ring for two hours. I parked it, and a couple weeks later some idiot decided it was something good to steal, and relieved me of the necessity of taking it to a junkyard. I just wish I could have seen his face when he realized what he had.

It did teach me not to succumb to gottahaveabikeitis and buy the first piece of shit I saw. Edit: when the seller has to drag the bike behind a truck to start it, walk away.

This is why I have a battery-powered lawnmower. Too damn many times messing with a small-bore engine, cleaning it and trying to get it to run when someone just parked it for the winter and all the tiny carb passages are full of gum.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not just snappers....my Kawasaki motor did the same damn thing on a $7k commerical mower. I had flames shooting out the exhaust pipe and didnt notice it until a neighbor ran over to tell me my tractor was on fire. Shut her down but the flames continued to burn for a good 30 seconds, roasting one of the 7 gallon fuel tanks (singed it really good which left a good impression with the local and 2nd level service managers).

Was told by the dealer it was the float needle and likely caused by some ethanol damage as the engine only had 39hrs on it at the time. There are quite a few lawn care operators around here that hate the damn stuff. I know of two who had their tractors catch fire and were completely engulfed in flames.

Anyhow, Kawi replaced the entire fuel system to avoid any issues down the road since they couldnt pin it 100% on ethanol but I havent had an issue since and I am up to 100hrs on her now.

They just sent me on my way with a stern warning to avoid ethanol at all costs. I know that the small engine manufacturers have been lobbying big time againstt he most recent rulings.

Avoiding oxygenated fuel isn't an option in CA. Everything except diesel is "gasohol".
Same for Florida. And stations that sell "off-road/lawnmower" fuel are very few and far between. The nearest for me is 77 miles away.

Avoiding oxygenated fuel isn't an option in CA. Everything except diesel is "gasohol".
Same for Florida. And stations that sell "off-road/lawnmower" fuel are very few and far between. The nearest for me is 77 miles away.

The town I live in has a population of 1500 and we have 4 stations that sell non-ethanol premium and they don't care what you put it in.

Yebbutt, Ray, you live in a semi-provincial area located in a state that isn't mandating what the rest of us deal with.

Your day will probably come but right now you're fortunate.

I'm not going to wave the "Made In America" flag in your face, since I have 2 Japanese bikes and 2 Japanese cars. But as far as how the mower was initially set up, (especially at a big box store), it most likely wasn't the manufacturer's fault. Typically, they have some minimum wage, unintelligent, knuckle-dragging douche-bag do the final set-up on things like mowers, tillers, bicycles, and the like. The doorknob had no idea when he attached the deck to the chassis. A few years ago, I watched my non-mechanical neighbor try to figure out why his brand-new push mower was cutting like crap. Took him about 1/2 hour, but he finally figured it out.

I can sympathize.....at one time I was a minimum wage, unintelligent, knuckle-dragging douche bag. Now I'm a slightly better-paid, unintelligent, cynical, burned-out, highly-experienced, middle-aged douche bag, with bad knees, shoulders, lower back, and gray hair.

(And I also had a 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo (with the factory-updated check valve and muffler fix) that developed a couple of leaky floats and a leaking petcock, that also resulted in gas in the oil. After I rebuilt all 4 carbs and the petcock, it ran like the day it was born.....what a bike)

they don't care what you put it in.

Ray,......... Diesel and fertilizer is not a good combination.

Oh Shit.............. You just HAD to do it>>>>>>>>> :dribble:

It's a great combination but I Gave up on mixing my own. Used to be able to get it premixed but the world has changed.

Google on tannerite. Its a lot of fun for exploding targets and easy to mix. :)