Leaking fluid, fork or clutch....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago my bike wouldn't start after work, battery would crank but wouldn't start. I was able to get the bike jumped and got her home and parked. After sitting on the side stand for about a week, I noticed something of a puddle on the garage floor, on the side the bike leans. I have not gotten any further than to look at the brake cables a little and the fork on that side. The cable has some fluid on it around the brake discs and a bit higher and also the fork has a good bit above the fork seal. Now, I'm not sure if it got there by dripping from somewhere or if I have a blown fork seal on that side. Bike is an '07 with just under 17K miles, no fork service has been performed.

I've not seen any fluid anywhere peviously, would the fork seal just decide to go like that? I know I'm not giving much info, just looking for some suggestions for a little troubleshooting and maybe what to look for.

Thanks.

You might just have a bit of grit stuck in the fork seal, causing it to weep oil. I'd go get yourself a Seal Mate (Cycle Gear stocks them, usually in the back of the store with the tools on a wall rack) or use a piece of 35mm film/similar material with a small rounded hook shape cut into one end. Run that around the seal a few times and see if it pulls out something. That's usually all it takes. If that fails to solve the problem, then the new seals would be the next step.

The battery's probably needing a change. My '07 is getting ready for a new one as well...the original is getting very long in the tooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, fork seals go. Fortunately, there is an easy fix that takes care of the problem most of the time. Do a search for 'seal mate'.

Clean your bike, go for a short ride, and verify where the fluid is coming from.

Thanks for the input, I'll check into the seal mate stuff. I had already picked up a battery, wasn't planning on any other down time though. I called a bike shop, not tied to any breed, cost was just under $300 plus parts to replace the fork seals. Not happy with that.

Thanks.

I called a bike shop, not tied to any breed, cost was just under $300 plus parts to replace the fork seals. Not happy with that.
Considering current labor rates, this doesn't sound too far out of line. You could probably save $100 by taking the forks in sans bike.

Good luck with the repairs!

--G

Clean your bike, go for a short ride, and verify where the fluid is coming from.
Coming from you, anything that starts with "clean your bike" sounds a bit suspicious.
smile.png

My fork seals were gone when I purchased my bike just over a year ago. I found a private shop that changed them for $260 including the seals. A dealer wanted $400 plus. The mechanic said there was only about 50% of the oil remaining in my forks before the new seals. What an amazing difference the new seals with the proper amount of oil made on the handling; absolutely dramatic.

If it is your fork seals leaking, and they do seem to go frequently for a variety of reasons, it is well worth getting them done.

My buddy just bought an 05 that had the right fork run totally dry of oil. The fork tube was damaged and had to be replaced.

Suggest you get your front brake pads checked too if the forks were leaking, as the pads can become oil soaked.

Forgot to add ...

My 07 had only 10,500 miles and the seals were gone.

My buddy's 05 had 17,000 and seals gone, forks damaged from running dry.

My experience is that the seals go for a number of reasons, including lack of use.

In the first 2 yrs of ownership (purchased new, ~31k miles) each of my '07 the forks leaked oil. Both were covered under warranty but it was made clear that it wouldn't be again so I can't help with cost. But neither episode left a puddle, just weapage down the fork after riding. I'd do a thorough check before jumping to any conclusions, removing the plastics if necessary.

It should be very easy to see where the fluid is coming from. Start by letting it stay on the center stand. Where ever the fluid is on the fork follow it up, until you find it. Fork seals are really easy, they should have a bunch of oil near the seal, quite obvious. Clutch reservoir you really need to look all around the clutch master, etc. My guess is fork seal. If you have fluid on your brake calipers, a good chance they could be on the pads/rotor. Clean the rotor well and get new pads, IF that's the case.

Do what everyone has said with Seal Mate and if you need to replace the seal, do both forks not just the one leaking.

Good luck and enjoy!

I have some time today to look over the front end of the bike. Looks like it is the fork on the clutch side, as there is no fluid anywhere above the fork that I can see. I reviewed a few posts about the sealmate and made one out of 35mm film negative. My problem is getting the plastic fork protector loose enough to slide up the fork. Any tips or suggestions here?

I did run the homemade sealmate around the top seal that's right behind the plastic cover. When I pulled it out, didn't see much dirt, but there was oil on it. I did this a few times and then pumped the forks several times. There's still just a small amount of oil left on the fork, so I'm not sure I've worked the sealmate as well as I could since I can't get the cover slid up. The cover is a little loose, I can spin it, but I can't get it to move up, just around.

Ideas?

Thanks.

You may want to remove the fork boot protector thangy, if it'll make it easier to get at. It could be the seal is just plain shot. I cut my booty thangy off very carefully. I then just put them back on and used a black zip-tie to keep it there. Clean all the fluid up real good and ride, if it continues to leak, replace them.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 07 leaked the first time at 10k miles. I bought a seal mate and that fixed it till about 3 days ago. A little over 15k miles and they both are leaking again. Seal mate again 2 days ago and they are still dry.

After riding my bike to work yesterday (23F on the way to work), I could still feel an oily residue at the top of the fork after I got home. It's still losing oil, but maybe not as much. Possibly due to a lower level of oil in the fork now?

I believe I'm going to get the fork seals replaced. My boss gave me the number to his bike shop, he has 2 Guzzi's and a Bandit 1200, he's an aggressive rider, not always a smart one from what I can tell, but I digress. I called the shop and he told me around $120 for labor and maybe $90 for parts, he would replace the bushings if needed. I think I can live with that.

Anyway, the guy at the shop recommended an upgrade on the springs, anyone heard of Race Tech? His recommendation, as well as from my boss, who upgraded his front end on his Bandit with these, plus a few more front suspension items. Spring upgrade would be an additional $105. All in, about $315 or so for new seals, bushings and springs.

For me, better than garage time over the weekend. I just need to research Race Tech a little, any inputs appreciated.

Thanks.

^^ I have the Race Tech Gold Valve, total front fork rebuild job done by RT. Love it!
ynotride had his GenII as the development bike for the FJR. See his post regarding this. FJR Race Tech Suspension.

My Clicky on my Gen1.

Good luck.
+1 on the Gold Valves. Went with .95 springs too (180 lbs. mostly solo riding). My '08 had a leaker @ 14k that the shim cleaning trick would not fix so, since new seals and bushings were in order anyway,... Also very pleased with the result! Now if I can only come up with the $800 for the shock upgrade....

I looked up how to make my own seal mate when my right fork started weeping. Pulled a bunch of crap out when I did it. Ran it round both forks and only pulled gunk out of the right one. Hasn't weeped since.
biggrin.png
Well worth it to try that route first.