Learning Base Camp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you can't predict what Garmin might think is a good route - for some, you would be hard pressed to do it on foot with good hiking boots or hip waders.
This. I was in Kerrville, Texas on Sunday, following a route I had mapped in BaseCamp to the Holiday Inn Express there. As I got closer to the hotel, the voice commands were to "Go offroad". In the previous 30 minutes, I had been directed to take a road that was nothing more than a 100 foot path into a ditch, and 5 minutes later, after Garmin had "recalculated", being taken 3 miles down a road that ended in a gated private property.

I have a new marketing slogan for Garmin:

"When you need something slightly better than Post It notes..."

I discovered something very simple the other day.

I hastily have activated my pre-made route on my gps (590lm), and found that that it recalculated my route and ignored my shaping points.

Here's the simple thing that I realized; I have to WAIT until the gps has found the satellites and is "ready to navigate" before activating my route.

It's so simple and logical, but it didn't occur to me until recently.

Iris, I hope this is a completely useless post for you but passing it on just in case you find an issue down the road. I have been loading and activating pre-made routes onto my 590 from my desk for awhile now. This is from my basement where I get no satellite signal and have had no problems to speak of. (Probably just jinxed it.) I'll turn on the unit and after a few minutes of not being able to acquire the satellites it'll ask me if I want to put it in Simulation mode which I'll agree to. What I can't tell you for sure is whether or not the unit has gone into Simulation prior to me activating the routes but I would suspect it always had by that point.