LED Lighting w/dimmer question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLS

Reaction score
I've got a set of Clearwater Ericas mounted, with the dimmer on my 09.

I recently purchased a set of LEDRIDER's LR4 flood lights and plan to mount them directly underneath the Ericas.

I'm curious anyone knows if I can use the Clearwater dimmer to also control the LR4's, or do I need to use a separate dimmer?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm leaving next Thursday for a 5 day trip and will be installing them this weekend.

I'd call Clearwater-they've always answered the phone and been helpful for me. Jeff

My educated guess is there's a range of wattage/amperage for the controller and the Ericas are probably already using up much of that capacity. Clearwater has not published that information nor is it in the manual from my recollection. (I have a set of Ericas and also a set of LR4 cousins in my inventory). If you do wire them up you might exceed that capacity, they'll work for a while, but then the controller will die a premature death...probably in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. ;)

I agree with J Paul. You bought an ultra-premium set of lights and want to tack on a set of "value lights" as part of a longer chain. Call Clearwater. And if they share the spec with you--share it here.

Otherwise, I'd relay the LR4's on a separate circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
My educated guess is there's a range of wattage/amperage for the controller and the Ericas are probably already using up much of that capacity. Clearwater has not published that information nor is it in the manual from my recollection. (I have a set of Ericas and also a set of LR4 cousins in my inventory). If you do wire them up you might exceed that capacity, they'll work for a while, but then the controller will die a premature death...probably in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.
wink.png

I agree with J Paul. You bought an ultra-premium set of lights and want to tack on a set of "value lights" as part of a longer chain. Call Clearwater. And if they share the spec with you--share it here.

Otherwise, I'd relay the LR4's on a separate circuit.
OK. That's what I was concerned with. I'll try calling Clearwater.

Yes, do call Clearwater. But. The Erica (pair) are 120 watts full power, I really doubt the LED controller would have much 'head room' left for another set of lights, that's a lot of watts. My ADVmonster LED controller is at the high end of the power spectrum and it is around 96W/8 amp.

Why not just get another PWM dimmer for the LR4 lights? It would be just as easy (maybe easier) to wire them with their own dimmer and the dimmers are not all that expensive. It may also be convenient to be able to dim the higher lights and the lower lights to different intensities,plus a certain PWM duty cycle dimming on one light type may not be appropriate (or even usable) for the others.

In essence, I'd scrap that idea no matter what Clearwater says.

I agree with J Paul. You bought an ultra-premium set of lights and want to tack on a set of "value lights" as part of a longer chain. Call Clearwater.

Honest question here..... what exactly makes the Clearwater lights a premium over the LED Riders, aside from the price.

They both put out quality high power LED Lumens.....

Why not just get another PWM dimmer for the LR4 lights? It would be just as easy (maybe easier) to wire them with their own dimmer and the dimmers are not all that expensive. It may also be convenient to be able to dim the higher lights and the lower lights to different intensities,plus a certain PWM duty cycle dimming on one light type may not be appropriate (or even usable) for the others.
In essence, I'd scrap that idea no matter what Clearwater says.
I did get another dimmer. However, I would like to run them both off one. I see your point, but I'd prefer to run them both off one.

It sounds like this is probably not going to happen.

BTW: Thanks to everyone who replied with your input and thoughts. Much appreciated!