Lee Parks’ Total Performance Advanced Riding Clinic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know come to think about it what I really need is a Dual Sport class!!!! :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
Check out Rawhyde's website. I was all eager to go there until I read the price. Sounds like a really fun class for those willing to drop $1300 for a weekend.

Great, entertaining read as usual Hans. We're left in no doubt about what's important in your life and how you feel about it. I wonder if the loud party had an equally eloquent writer (or a member who could either read, or write) and what they might have put on their forum about the Rice Rocket Convention with all the Power Rangers. Of course, having a forum assumes that they are computer literate.......

I don't believe it really happened. I have yet to see any definitive pictorial proof!

I will strengthen my argument with the following 2 observations about JB

1: I know it's damn near impossible to get JB up before 9am, let alone 5:25am!

2: He rode a Hardly for years, no way he could possibly be bashing them!

:p :drinks:

You know come to think about it what I really need is a Dual Sport class!!!! :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
Check out Rawhyde's website. I was all eager to go there until I read the price. Sounds like a really fun class for those willing to drop $1300 for a weekend.

Great, entertaining read as usual Hans. We're left in no doubt about what's important in your life and how you feel about it. I wonder if the loud party had an equally eloquent writer (or a member who could either read, or write) and what they might have put on their forum about the Rice Rocket Convention with all the Power Rangers. Of course, having a forum assumes that they are computer literate.......
Darn it, now why would you show me this!! :rolleyes: This is exactly what I need, no comments Don!!!Now the only problemi is the cost of class and getting to CA with the bike. :unsure: :unsure:

Darn it, now why would you show me this!! :rolleyes: This is exactly what I need, no comments Don!!!Now the only problemi is the cost of class and getting to CA with the bike. :unsure: :unsure:
Did I hear somewhere that they do bike rentals? Of course that would add to the cost significantly as well as the trip there and back.

Having just got my first dual sport bike, I wanted to take the class. The reviews look fantastic but the fee is out of reach at the moment.

I took the Lee Parks class a couple of weeks ago in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. Lee was not leading my class, but one of our instructors was a former racer. He was in full race leathers on a R1200GS. While he was warming up the bike to do the various demos, he'd drag a knee puck while hanging off that GS.

All in all my experience mirrors JB's. Especially the dynamics of our group... Experienced riders who aren't comfortable leaning their bikes over... The class loudmouth... The qiuet ones who know how to handle their bikes and listen to the instructors...

We didn't have a herd of Harley's distracting us, though. We just had a nice, chilly, windy day.

The instructors were top-notch and offered some really good insight. I came away from the class with some new skills to practice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Penguini. Long time no see. If I get to L.A. anytime soon, let's have a scotch. Andy can come too. And Fairlaner. I might get down there Memorial Day weekend, if Silent stops being a pussy about work and critters named Alex. :glare:

There's a dude here standin' over my shoulder stepped off a hog, wearin' a do-rag and a leather vest, wants to say something, so I'm gonn get outta the way....

---------------------

Who the f**k do you think you are calling me alliterat? F**K you ahnd the f**kterds you ride with you f**k-%#$%! Me and my buddys could ride circels around you fagits! Ive bin riding motorcycles for 20 years I don't need no fairy-ass bike or training to know how to kick your ass or anhy other ass on the road. Anyone who dosn't ride American iron is a traiter who should be strung up by the balls and dropped out of an F-18 onto the Taliben in Afgaisten you f**k. Your a bunch of commie pricks in your fagity fairy costumnes. F**k you.

---------------------

Okay, he's gone now. Phew.... :huh: (I think his name was Don.)

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Penguini. Long time no see. If I get to L.A. anytime soon, let's have a scotch. Andy can come too. And Fairlaner. I might get down there Memorial Day weekend, if Silent stops being a pussy about work and critters named Alex. :glare:

There's a dude here standin' over my shoulder stepped off a hog, wearin' a do-rag and a leather vest, wants to say something, so I'm gonn get outta the way....

---------------------

Who the f**k do you think you are calling me alliterat? F**K you ahnd the f**kterds you ride with you f**k-%#$%! Me and my buddys could ride circels around you fagits! Ive bin riding motorcycles for 20 years I don't need no fairy-ass bike or training to know how to kick your ass or anhy other ass on the road. Anyone who dosn't ride American iron is a traiter who should be strung up by the balls and dropped out of an F-18 onto the Taliben in Afgaisten you f**k. Your a bunch of commie pricks in your fagity fairy costumnes. F**k you.

---------------------

Jb
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post of the year...

...by the Harley faggot. :)

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....
Lee Park....New skills....Lots of fun...Do it!!!!

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
I think that about sums it up. :p

3. Touching your knees to the asphalt is much easier if you are 6'5" long-legged-galut stud.
Fixed it for ya, Donny-Boy.... :)

And that reminds me. I should have included you on my "with due respects to" list of serious motorcyclists who ride Harleys.... :huh:

Doode - I said legged, not pole, you pole gazer! :unsure:

I guess I never should have left you and the Feejer behind whilst riding the Ultra. I apologize, Hans, I never anticipated the trauma to be so long lasting for you! :eh-smiley:

Also, you are allowed to bring your pillion at no additional cost.
Jb
JB,

Does he encourage you to have your pillion on the back during the on-track training? Or do they just come along and watch during classroom sessions?
On the back. But not sure that draggin' the knee part works so well with a passenger. :blink:

---------------------

---------------------

Jb
Just for that you and ToeCutter get to ride drag queen behind the Ultra (sans mufflers) on a dcarver TT ride. Yep, Tavern to Tavern, braaaping all the way. Drinking and smoking and half helmets too. Levis and doo rags and soft tennis shoes. Shirts that say Harley and Phuck You rice-rocket riders cryin the blues.

LOL - fun post, thanks for the giggles.

Man I hate waking up early on weekends. :glare: On Saturday and Sunday I want to wake up when I wake up, without benefit of a #$&% alarm clock. So if I do wake early to an alarm clock on a weekend, it’s got to be for a damn good reason.
Going on a local motorcycle ride is rarely a damn good reason. Not for me anyway. Five days a week I wake up early to an alarm clock and get to go on a motorcycle ride. Sure, it’s just to work, but that doesn’t mean it ain’t fun, exhilarating even. Some might say death-defying. In any event, it’s a great way to start the day. But not on weekends.

Now, waking up early for a road trip, that’s something different. Road trips are special. For a road trip I’ll even get up as early as 7:00, like I did going to Colorado last summer for NAFO. Hell, I might even get up at 6:30 for a road trip.

-----------------------------

Yesterday morning was Saturday, and my alarm clock went off at 05:25 AM. (I recommend the classical station, BTW.) That’s earlier than I get up to go to work, earlier even than Old Michael gets up, and we all know how early old people get up. And if you’re reaaaaaaaly old, so old that your avatar is “Old Michael,” well then you get up freakin’ early. And if on top of it you’re as ugly as Old Michael, well then, you know, you’re just pretty damned ugly. (I know that’s an ugly thing to say, Ugly Old Michael. So, sorry. The truth hurts.)

Old Michael's Alarm Clock:

41MSzQ5eS4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

So at precisely 5:25, Moondoglioogle’s Pepperincini concerto or some such intermingles with my intermingling of (or is it with?) Scarlett Johansson to snatch me from her dreamy grasp (or was it grasp me away from her dreamy…. Never mind).

Sigh....

scarlett-johansson-2.jpg

-------------------------

“F**k it’s early,” I mumbled to myself as I planted my feet on the ground next to the bed and buried my face in my hands. “This had better be good.” I stepped over Fang, the dear, who was sleeping off her evening’s dance with the gin bottle, and crept across the dark room into the shower.

What had better be good, the “this,” was Lee Parks’ Total Performance Advanced Riding Clinic in San Mateo. For me, improving my riding skills and, hopefully, my survivability probability out on the street, is more than a pretty good reason to get up early. It’s a great reason. I had to be there by 7:30, an hour’s ride away.

-------------------------

After a hearty breakfast, some coffee, my usual back exercises, and a quick once-around the weight bench to limber up for what I knew would be a long day on the bike, I suited up and hit the road by 6:30.

The sky was just freshening, and although I knew the temps would be in the 80s by the afternoon, this morning it was about 50 degrees and overcast as I left the house. So I was bundled up with my heated vest and winter gloves. I pulled away well rested, well fed, caffeinated, limber, frustrated, and toasty. It promised to be a good day. (That sure was a shame about Scarlett.)

Traffic was light out on the freeways, so the feejer naturally wanted to cruise at triple digits. But I kept a tight rein on her for fear of cops, and cruised between 70 and 80 MPH. At that speed I felt like I could get off the bike and run circles around it.

When I got to the venue I spotted a knot of motorcycles and riders in one corner of a vast parking lot. I pulled up and immediately spotted a Black Beauty—a 2008 FJR. Then I spotted and recognized the rider, who spotted me at the same time. It was Chris from the Sacramento area (actually it's John, but he goes by Chris. :blink: All I know is that, at the end of the day, he walked away with the certificate for some guy named John).

We had met on an earlier ride. (Here's a picture of Chris on that ride. He's the one in the middle with the not-a-do-rag black hat.) John Chris, you don't happen to remember your handle, do you???)

This was great!—I’d have a friend to share the experience with after all, since Uuuuuugly Oooold Michael had to back out at the last minute the night before. Not that I was at all bitter about that. I understood. Because as John Lennon famously said, life’s what happens when your busy making plans to let your buddy down. :glare:

----------------

TBC....

Hey Hans-

It was great to see a familiar face last weekend and watching another FJR make its way through the course was pretty cool too.

You had to get up early?? :blink: I was already on the road before you even got out of bed. :p

Actually my name is both Chris and John. :blink: Growing up I can remember all the weird looks I would get from my classmates when a teacher would refer to me as John. Well, John is my first name and Chris is my middle name. My parents thought it would be cool to address me by my middle name, I think it was just some kind of cruel joke they played on me. :p JK

Well now that we have cleared that up, I'm sure you have realized by now my handle is FJRChris.

As for the Harleys, I had a Harley at one time and ride with friends who still have Harleys. The loud pipes have never really bothered me much. However, 12 hours of nonstop revving bikes with straight pipes brought me to my limit. It was flat out obnoxious, even with my helmet on.. :angry2:

On a positive note- I would highly recommend Lee Park's clinic, Lee is a class act! Watching Lee ride my bike while dragging his knees around the course with little effort was pretty cool. :dribble:

ROFLMAO! There isn't much that makes me laugh out loud, but now I'm wiping coffee off my screen. Well written JB.

Do let me know if you're in the area Memorial w/e. I have to work Monday but I have the weekend off.

Wanna be a fly on the wall for the DC Harley ride. That sounds like fun. I wonder if the lovely Shawna will dress the part of the passenger? ( I know they use another term for the female on the back, but she's too nice to warrant that nomenclature). Then again...... if she dressed like that, we may not even SEE Mr Carver, because he'd be staying home........ otherwise occupied........

3. Touching your knees to the asphalt is much easier if you are 6'5" long-legged-galut stud.
Fixed it for ya, Donny-Boy.... :)

And that reminds me. I should have included you on my "with due respects to" list of serious motorcyclists who ride Harleys.... :huh:

Also, you are allowed to bring your pillion at no additional cost.
Jb
JB,

Does he encourage you to have your pillion on the back during the on-track training? Or do they just come along and watch during classroom sessions?
On the back. But not sure that draggin' the knee part works so well with a passenger. :blink:
Scraped the pegs numerous times with wifey on the back, no problems. Never tried to drag a knee, didn't see the need. However, I think this class will go on our "must do" list. Thanks for the report

Hey Hans-
It was great to see a familiar face last weekend and watching another FJR make its way through the course was pretty cool too.

You had to get up early?? :blink: I was already on the road before you even got out of bed. :p

Actually my name is both Chris and John. :blink: Growing up I can remember all the weird looks I would get from my classmates when a teacher would refer to me as John. Well, John is my first name and Chris is my middle name. My parents thought it would be cool to address me by my middle name, I think it was just some kind of cruel joke they played on me. :p JK

Well now that we have cleared that up, I'm sure you have realized by now my handle is FJRChris.

As for the Harleys, I had a Harley at one time and ride with friends who still have Harleys. The loud pipes have never really bothered me much. However, 12 hours of nonstop revving bikes with straight pipes brought me to my limit. It was flat out obnoxious, even with my helmet on.. :angry2:

On a positive note- I would highly recommend Lee Park's clinic, Lee is a class act! Watching Lee ride my bike while dragging his knees around the course with little effort was pretty cool. :dribble:
Hey, Chris. It was great seeing you too. Let's find a time to get together on some local twisties and practice what we learned. I also want to find a parking lot and practice those tight u-turns. Whatcha doin' this weekend?

Memorial Day weekend? That's when you're riding down to Hanford to get a milkshake and be in my courthouse photo!

So when's the big suspension setup day? I'm in.

Memorial Day weekend? That's when you're riding down to Hanford to get a milkshake and be in my courthouse photo!

So when's the big suspension setup day? I'm in.
Jeeeeeeery! Long time no see. How are you, buddy? Hey, I need to meet up with you so you can show me how to program a trip in my GPS.

Thanks for the reminder about Hanford. I'll revisit that thread.

As for suspension set up, Fang is out of town May 9. Might work for that day.

Hans

Aiigh! I have got to stop reading this stuff. It keeps costing me money!

OK. I give up. After reading about your adventures with the class, I have made plans to attend one myself.

Thanks (really) for finally pushing me over the edge and signing up.

:yahoo:

I wish I could get one of these classes a little closer to home. Looks like either Troy NY or Louden NH for me. I'll start with the book.

Latest posts