left side idle tick

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoods Snowman

Reaction score
I'm trying to look around but all I'm finding are "ticker" and CCT threads. I've noticed a tick on the LEFT side of my engine this spring that either wasn't there before or I haven't noticed (I think the former). It's worst when the bike is cold, but I let it sit for about five minutes yesterday on the way home and it seemed to do it again, but not as loud. Once I get the RPM up past say 1300 rpm it drowns out the noise and I can't really hear it any more. I'm still trying to narrow down when exactly it does and doesn't do it, but to my it sounds like a dry/bads lifter (if the FJR's had lifters obviously). I'm not horribly worried about it, but new noises are always concerning to me. Anyone else have a similar issue? Bike is an 08 with 25K and running Rotella T4 oil.

Can you throw up a short video on Youtube and submit a link to it so that we can hear it for ourselves?

These (and all) engines make a variety of noises!

• "Ticker" problems have not been associated with any Gen II FJR's (as far as I know)
  • CCT issues are generally noticed on the right side, not the left but it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint
  • Is oil full to the mark?
  • Change your oil - possibly try a different brand or viscosity
  • Difference with clutch pulled or not pulled?
  • Could be water pump but (again) that would be right side, not left

Ride more, stress less!

Though highly unusual at your mileage, it could be valve clearance. IIRC 24 k is the first scheduled valve check.

I can try to get a sound clip when I get time to play with it.

These (and all) engines make a variety of noises!
  • "Ticker" problems have not been associated with any Gen II FJR's (as far as I know) Definitely not a ticker
  • CCT issues are generally noticed on the right side, not the left but it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint
  • Is oil full to the mark? Yep, filled to the top mark cold.
  • Change your oil - possibly try a different brand or viscosity Just did, went from the Rotella T6 to the T4 when I did my spring pre-ride maintenance
  • Difference with clutch pulled or not pulled? No
  • Could be water pump but (again) that would be right side, not left

Ride more, stress less!
First valve check is 26.6K so it has not been done yet, but usually you need wide valve gaps for ticks.

Latest posts