Let it breathe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketdoc

Reaction score
Just popped in a new OEM air filter. Embarrassed to say how fudged up the old one was. Results, smoother low end throttle response and louder intake howl.

Question...who's running with K&N's and your impression over OEM ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I put one in and my stock one wasn't that dirty. What I did notice the day after is that I did a wheelie in 2nd not expecting it. I think it helped me in the top end.

Just popped in a new OEM air filter. Embarrassed to say how fudged up the old one was. Results, smoother low end throttle response and louder intake howl.Question...who's running with K&N's and your impression over OEM ??
My experience with K&N hasn't shown an increase in performance. Some will say that it flows better, but, that usually is coming from someone who has just replaced a dirty filter with a new one, so, of course it's going to flow better. I haven't seen any dyno charts on bikes that shows any material increase in performance with a K&N over an OEM filter.

That being said, K&Ns are serviceable, which means you can remove it, clean it, re oil it, and reinstall it. But, for the $20 for a new filter every 10-15,000 miles, I don't see the benefit. Additionally, if you under-oil the K&N, it will flow better, but, you're not filtering as good as you should. If you over-oil, you'll be doing more harm than good and not allowing it to flow good enough. for me, I'll stick with the OEM.

Check out the following maintenance specials at https://www.fjrgoodies.com (not affiliated, blah blah blah)...

Check out FJRGoodies.com's Maintenance Specials:

Genuine Yamaha FJR1300 Oil Filters! Only $7.95 each!

Genuine Yamalube 20W-40 Motorcycle Oil Only $2.78 per quart!

Yamaha FJR1300 Oil Drain Plug Washers p/n 214-11198-01-00 Only 0.48 each! (NOTE: This washer also fits the rear-drive housing drain plug!)

Genuine Yamaha FJR1300 Air Filter p/n: 5JW-14451-00-00 Only $20.00 each!

Yamalube FJR1300 Shaft Drive Oil p/n: 9079E-SH001-00 Only $19.95 per pint!

NGK Spark Plug for the FJR1300 - p/n: CR8E Only $3.95 each!

Call our FJR Parts Master, "Guru Glen", at 509.837.2124 to order your maintenence items today!

Uni Filters

streetyamaha.jpg

Update on my experience with the Unifilter:

I replaced the OEm filter at 10K mls.

I wasn't in bad shape, but it was time and there was a group buy.

As others reported, there was a film of dust in my airbox, after the filter. DISTURBING

I put in the Unifilter.

3K mls later, I had to wipe out the bottom of my air box, because I put too much oil on the filter.

15K mls later, there was a little oil on my U-joint cover. Shit maybe a bad output shaft seal.

Nope, it took 12K mls for a drip of oil to make it's way out of the filter box,

down the frame and drip on the U-jont cover. The small oil trail was still there.

A quick inspection of the filter shows everything else was OK.

I peeled off a layer of dirty slim from the surface of the filter.

Then washed it, and put on much less oil.

The big news...... the air box is surgical room clean. A wipe down revealed absolutely nothing.

Unifilter is the shizzle. Just don't use too much oil though. The product instructions say to soak it and then use paper towel to remove excess. This results it way too much oil for a clean installation.

Overall Product rating: 5 stars.

I've had similar results from my Uni. White glove spotless in the airbox, unlike the stocker.

I like the K&N air filter enough in my FJR that I also bought one for my new pickup truck. I'd also put one in my older truck if it had lower mileage. Seems like they breathe alot better than stock filters.

I like the K&N air filter enough in my FJR that I also bought one for my new pickup truck. I'd also put one in my older truck if it had lower mileage. Seems like they breathe alot better than stock filters.
No offense, but, I'm still not sold. When you say 'breathe alot better', did you do the comparison with a brand new OEM filter or the old filter you took out?

I'm still not convinced that breathing better is a good thing. If it breathes better, that means less restriction on the air that is being pulled through the filter from the vaccuum. How can you have less restriction (better breathing), but, still the same amount of filtering?

Understand where I'm coming from? Am I off base?

Although I have become sceptical of K&Ns after reading several unbiased tests, the answer to your question is, "By increasing the filter area."

"I liked it so much, I bought the company. </Remington> :p

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA (Moving Saturday!!!!!!)

Does anybody know if the FJR has a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor? I've heard many bad reports about filters with any kind of oil on them screwing up MAF sensors.

Does anybody know if the FJR has a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor? I've heard many bad reports about filters with any kind of oil on them screwing up MAF sensors
No MAF. There is an Intake Pressure Sensor that has a hose connected to the air box. The ECU looks for differential pressure between the Atmospheric Pressure Sensor and the Intake Pressure Sensor. The APS is located under the passenger seat on Gen 1 FJRs. There is virtually no air flow in the hose going to the Intake Sensor and it is 'up-hill' from the air box so there should be no oil migration.

Is the K & N filter the same for all years of FJR's and does anybody know the part number ?? And the Uni Filter part number for the 05 is NU-3255 - will that fit an 06, are the air boxes the same ?? :D

If you do research on the web you will not put a oiled gauze filter in your motorcycle. Test after test proves that the oiled gauze filter lets much more dirt pass the filter with very little gain in hp. I found this out years ago racing karts. Used oiled foam over the oiled gauze to save the motor. Oiled foam is the only way to go on a off road motorcycle because of chance that it will come in contact with water sooner or later. Oiled foam filters great but must be cleaned and oiled regularly to keep it 'wet' or it loses its ability to filter well. On a street bike all test point to paper as the best filter.

If you do research on the web you will not put a oiled gauze filter in your motorcycle. Test after test proves that the oiled gauze filter lets much more dirt pass the filter with very little gain in hp. I found this out years ago racing karts. Used oiled foam over the oiled gauze to save the motor. Oiled foam is the only way to go on a off road motorcycle because of chance that it will come in contact with water sooner or later. Oiled foam filters great but must be cleaned and oiled regularly to keep it 'wet' or it loses its ability to filter well. On a street bike all test point to paper as the best filter.
Thank you for the input, if I am understanding this correctly the Uni Filter is foam and the K&N is gauze so I am leaning toward the Uni Filter. I E-mailed Uni Filter about the part number for an 06 - Thanks for the link Radman. If they reply I will Post the results. :)

Thank you for the input, if I am understanding this correctly the Uni Filter is foam and the K&N is gauze so I am leaning toward the Uni Filter. I E-mailed Uni Filter about the part number for an 06 - Thanks for the link Radman. If they reply I will Post the results. :)

Here is the reply from Uni Filter:

Hi,

Yes, the 2005-06 is the same filter... NU-3255

Please select the Part number you need. If you need a Motorcycle, ATV or Universal style air filter please go to a local shop in your area. Your local Motorcycle shop will have or can order the filters you need. For Automotive, Race and other Uni products please order online or contact Uni direct to order.

Thanks for going with UNI!

Uni Filter Inc.

1468 Manhattan Ave.

Fullerton, Ca. 92831

Ph. 714-535-6933

Fx. 714-535-6927

WWW.UNIFILTER.COM

I recall people messing with their intakes but IMO the stock intake on my '05 has a small enough opening and a tight enough bend that I don't figure a clean paper filter is a limiting factor.