• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Let the Hunt Begin - Looking for a Steal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Well now that wifey is back to work, I can get back to getting ready to own my next motorcycle - a 2014 GEORGEOUS RED FJR.

Let me be abundantly clear - I'm in no big hurry. I've got a perfectly good motorcycle that I like. If this takes 6 weeks or 6 months, I won't lose any sleep over it and I won't miss one mile of riding.

I'm looking for a steal. Either a left over new one, or a very slightly used one (must be less than 5,000 miles).

I'm not opposed to the ES - I played with the suspension during the demo ride and it was pretty cool. But the more I think about it, the more I think I can do without it. I do make adjustments to my current suspension to cater my ride (1 crank on the pre-load and a few clicks on the dampening for the forks during loaded tours), but I never long for an "on the fly" adjustment.

Not opposed to a fly and ride either. I played around with travelocity and learned that there are very cheap flights out there if you are VERY flexible (willing to make extra plane changes, take odd ball flight times, etc). If that happens in a city near you, and you are willing to help me with logistics, I'd be very grateful. If I find something within 400 miles of 70508, I'll likely just drag a trailer over to it.

There is no way I'm selling my '05 before I buy the '14. I've got to decide on the farkling issues, and while my '14 seat is at Seth Laam, I'm not going to be without a motorcycle. Once all that is settled, I'll give away the '05 - prolly take $3,000.00 or even less.

Finally - fair warning. If you are selling or know someone that is, be prepared. I'm going to low ball you and not feel guilty about it. I have cash in hand and know how to walk away. I subscribe heavily to the Golden Rule - the one with the gold makes the rules. You can always say no, and even tell me where to stick it. In either case, I'll take it under advisment. After all - it's nothing personal, just business.

Let the hunt begin...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, and I expect to see YOU on this beautiful machine for EOM!
smile.png

Not in a hurry... but git 'er done!

How many miles on the 05.....

I got $4K for mine with just about 40 rounds on the ticker..... I could have asked more, but I de-farkled it and it went to a friend and I left on the newly rebuilt Wilburs and front springs.... amongst a couple other things for him....

Good Luck on your hunt - Good Things always come to those that wait....

Warpdrv - that's a good price for your '05. Mine's got 62K now (adding around 750 miles a month). She's been well maintained, but has the obligatory scratches and scuffs. I'll sell her with the Laam seat and a few othe minor farkles (bar risers, frame sliders, 12V socket, etc), and keep whatever I can use on the '14.

Along the gulf coast, if your motorcycle isn't a sport bike, or a pirate ship, and has more than 20K miles on it, you have to give it away. I bought mine for $5,000.00 four years ago and rode it 57,000 miles. I figure anything I get for it is just gravy.

Yeah you got your moneys worth out of that machine !!

My Dealer gave me a really good price on the 15, but only offered me $2500 on the 05, since he knew it'd likely just sit and not move very fast. Told me to just sell it on cragslist, it was mid winter and I was showing my buddy pics of my new bike, he asked what I was doing with 'OL Blue, said I'm selling it - didn't even ask price, said I'll take it, knew it was well maintained since we own an auto repair center.... glad it was going to a good home.....

A few points to ponder here Mr. 'Pants:

2014 Red is arguably one of the most popular colors ever on an FJR. Folks want that color and want affects price.

2014 is the Year of the High Speed Cruise Control. That affects desirability which affects price.

I am going to disagree with you regarding the ES. While you don't NEED the ES, you of all people would benefit. Why?

Well, glad you asked. You enjoy your "spirited" riding as much as anyone I know. You are pretty good at it, you practice it, deep lean angles and scraping pegs put a smile on your face. The ES sits higher on its suspension, it allows more lean angle. It is arguably a better damped, better controlled suspension.

You cover almost the entire spectrum of riding surfaces and styles. You can "soften" the damping, "soften" the preload and head down the interstate floating along like a '58 Buick. When you get off at the Ramah exit on I-10 and turn North, a few button strokes "tightens" the damping, "stiffens" the preload and suddenly you are riding a Sport Bike. It literally is the best of both worlds. With the heavy camping loads and varied road surfaces you encounter on your adventures the ES makes huge sense for you.

The black, inverted forks and streamlined front fender of the ES look better against the '14 Red paint. Just ask G Squared if he is not jealous!

Last, if you want a 2014 that much and you are going to have to spend that much money, why not spend a little bit more? It is only money after all. It is no good until you spend it.

I may know someone selling his 'A', but I know of no ES's new or used. I do not know what price he wants for his, but I do know the bike a little. CalSci windscreen and slip ons but I don't remember brand. Short style. Last he told me, it had 1300 miles. I can find out if it is in fact for sale still. I'm trying to get him now. Will advise.

Hey, pants! I think you would benefit from the ES but the A's are less expensive for sure. I believe my dealer has one "A" in stock. If you verify it, I'd be happy to pick you up at the airport! BTW, this is the same dealer from whom Griff and I bought ours.
bike.gif

There seem to be a lot of '14 A models available - the local shop in Hayward has two of them discounted down to $12,300. Saw a '15 ES but it had the full retail tag on it.

Unless things are different down South......yes we know they are, it's the South after all, I have to question RFH's reasoning. Seems sound on the surface, but here in sunny Kali, where motorcycles sell like Katy Perry, I think I can count on 1 finger the number of 2014's I've seen. Sure it's Red, but I didn't get the feeling they were flying off the shelf.

Either way, good luck with your search.

smile.png
Unless things are different down South......yes we know they are, it's the South after all, I have to question RFH's reasoning. Seems sound on the surface, but here in sunny Kali, where motorcycles sell like Katy Perry, I think I can count on 1 finger the number of 2014's I've seen. Sure it's Red, but I didn't get the feeling they were flying off the shelf.
Either way, good luck with your search.
Well Boker if you knew me you would also question my reason and my sanity. Most folks do.
uhoh.gif

There are not many FJRs anywhere around where I live, and as a recent long thread/poll showed there are very few concentrations of FJRs anywhere around. FJRs are not big sellers and are not produced in large quantities. There are no '14 Red ones readily available around here, if there were hppants would not be searching the country looking for one.

It is also worth noting that '14 was the year Yamaha "fixed" the 80 mph cruise control issue. From the way we all cried and whined over that I cannot help but believe all the '13 owners were running out to buy the '14.
smile.png

'Pants won't listen to me anyway. He will do what he wants regardless of my advice knowing full well that I am his friend and will support him no matter what he buys or does not buy. Of course the more I think about it... If he buys the "A" model then I will finally have a technical advantage for our next ride. It will not be enough, he will still smoke me but maybe I can keep him in sight!

Here is what we looked like a year ago after our first ride on the '14 ES.

And I just remembered it was that no good G squared guy who took that picture for us. I rue the day I met that guy!
smile.png

Plenty of good info here already. Thank you for your help - please keep it coming. It might not be as hard as I thought. I may have to put my money where my keyboard is. I'm researching a couple of your suggestions, and we will see how bad they want to sell an 18 month old bike.

I'm getting the red one - plain and simple. I'm drilled in to that like an English Pointer on a Pheasant. He takes very subtle, very quiet steps toward the target. There may be all kinds of commotion everywhere, but he is focused - head fixed - ever staring at the target. I've been ape shit over that color since the day I laid eyes on it (^^^^^^^^^ that day). If I can't steal a new one, I'll just buy a slightly used one off C/L when it shows up.

It just occurred to me that the Pointer doesn't even get to eat the bird. He just likes finding them....