LIN3 as auxiliary brake light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdperry

Reaction score
I just remembered why I liked Whelen equipment so well when I worked patrol many years ago.

I got my Whelen LIN3 in today and hooked it up to the bike (was like a kid with a new toy). I set the LIN3 for solid mode because I was installing one of my old RadiantZ Universal FlasherZ to do the 3 quick strobes 3 times and then on for 7 seconds and repeat mode that I've found effective.

End results were this (hope it embeds - instructions I've read says all I need to do is put the last part of the YouTube URL - I'm used to another software package).

EDIT: Nope, I'll just put the entire URL for the YouTube video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one also, FYI cover it with tape if you ride with a group, it's too bright for the rider following you.

I very one also, FYI cover it with tape if you ride with a group, it's too bright for the rider following you.
I ride mainly with Goldwings and HD crowd... I don't think they'll be to near me.
grin.gif

At night it is stupid bright though.

I just remembered why I liked Whelen equipment so well when I worked patrol many years ago.I got my Whelen LIN3 in today and hooked it up to the bike (was like a kid with a new toy). I set the LIN3 for solid mode because I was installing one of my old RadiantZ Universal FlasherZ to do the 3 quick strobes 3 times and then on for 7 seconds and repeat mode that I've found effective.

End results were this (hope it embeds - instructions I've read says all I need to do is put the last part of the YouTube URL - I'm used to another software package).

EDIT: Nope, I'll just put the entire URL for the YouTube video.

How did you route the wires? I am thinking about routing along the wires for my Givi trunk and under back seat

Did the Lin3 about 4 yrs ago as per a FredW thread here.

I used the exact location you did, modulated it as well and wired in an inline switch to shut-off if need be.

Yessiree, the Whelen is a great 3rd brake light. Very attention getting, especially when wired up using a 3rd Brake Light Flasher module. I set the LIN3 to solid on, and set the flasher to the fast strobe 5X then solid. It may be hard for you to see the 5 fast strobes on the video. They are very fast. (sorry no cool music)

FWIW - I had the above setup on my 1st Gen for ~5-6 years complete with a switch under the seat to disable it, but never once needed the switch. Even after leading many group rides through the years nobody ever complained about it being distracting when set this way (5 strobe flashes then solid) unlike some of the other continuously flashing patterns (back offs and wig wags etc.). On the contrary, many folks that saw mine wanted one of their own.

I put another one on my new 2014, but located the light below the plate on the Gen 3. It seemed to fit there better on the flatter fender section, and it was easy enough to run the bundled wires up alongside the vein running up the inside of the fender. Drilled some small holes in that vein and tie wrapped the wires in place. Drilled a hole to get the wires into the rear tail section near the tail lights where the flasher module resides.

100_4658.jpg

How did you route the wires? I am thinking about routing along the wires for my Givi trunk and under back seat
That was what was so nice. Where it's mounted their is easy access from underneath the seat once you remove the little tool kit. I did have to use a large set of forceps to reach down where I drilled the holes through to get to them. This is on a Gen 1 FJR, so not sure if the newer ones have the same little recess in that area.

I honestly don't do that many group rides. I ride more alone than anything so that aspect doesn't really apply. I debated long and hard about a flash then solid pattern, but the problem I have with that - especially around here - is that you can sit at a light for a while before another car comes up behind you. Guess what - once that light goes red, it's just a bright red light that doesn't do anything additional to bring attention to there being a stopped bike there. You have to release the brake and reapply it to get a flash... and if you are going to do that, why not just flash the brakes yourself.

I used the same module on my trailer that I hauled behind the golding and drove to/from California from Texas and had plenty of PoPo behind me and never got stopped.

What I do when sitting at a light or otherwise stopped in traffic is to hold the brake with the bike in gear,. clutch in, until I see a car coming up behind me. I then release the brake and grab it again, which initiates the strobe and solid pattern again. If they are facing forwards (and not down at their cell phone) they will see the strobe. If they don't slow down fast enough I'm outt'a there ASAP.

I try never sit at a light uncovered (without a car behind me) and not be continuously scanning my mirrors. Once there is a car or two stationary behind you can relax a little. It's also a big part of why I love having the FZ1 mirrors, the view to the rear is much better.

Around here we are flat enough in most areas you don't need your brakes all the time, so once I get that car behind me (or approaching and slowing enough to be able to tell they see me) then I will release it.

If they were so problematic, then overheads would not utilize that function. The whole purpose of a flash pattern is a warning. The strobes are so fast on my setup that they don't impact that much. The solid light is more "abrasive" than the strobes from what people that have followed me on other bikes I've had this module on have told me.

Kind of like the Skene P3's. That constant flickering would annoy the fool out of me if I was following somebody that had them on their bike if it is noticeable with a straight on view.

The flashers are one of those things that each have their opinion on which is better. Recurring flash patterns have their purpose. It's a pity that someone doesn't make one with a proximity sensor on them that could sense when a vehicle was approaching from the rear and start a flash sequence and slow then stop it as the vehicle came to a stop when your brakes were applied.

We will have to agree to disagree, and that's perfectly fine. Differences of opinion is what makes life interesting.
wink.png

I think a continuously repeating flash pattern is far more aggravating to someone following behind you than a quick flash then solid pattern of even the brightest LED brake light, plus that is the pattern that is prescribed by law in many jurisdictions.

To me, the faster LED strobe is more attention grabbing than a slower flash rate. The 3rd Brake flasher has some slower options, but I think the fastest is the best.

It is also what is being installed as standard equipment on many trucks and emergency vehicles with LED brake lights these days; a quick strobe flash, then solid on, each time the brakes are triggered. They must have done some sort of effectiveness studies before they settled on that. At least one would hope they did? :unsure:

It is also what is being installed as standard equipment on many trucks and emergency vehicles with LED brake lights these days; a quick strobe flash, then solid on, each time the brakes are triggered. They must have done some sort of effectiveness studies before they settled on that. At least one would hope they did?
unsure.png
Remember.. you are talking about the guberment there! (I know, I worked most my life for governmental agencies).

The strobe is usually more effective as it is sharper and will grab attention better. If I could find my settings page for the unit I'd play with some of the other, but the new version of it is not the same as the one I have. The DIP switch settings are different. Ideally I'd like one that did 3 sets of 3 strobes and then solid, but haven't found one of those yet.

When I bought my whelen light I had planned on using some type of light modulator on it. The light is so bright I felt there wasn't really a need to modulate it. When mounted here on the bike it looks like a factory installed part.

1405790767_zpsf9d0792c.jpg

The Whelens look pretty good.

I decided to go with HyperLites 3-way lights....flashing or non-flashing brakes (user selectable), signal, and running lights all in one...extremely bright. They provide the PosiTaps required to tap into the appropriate lines and provide good instructions. Probably a little more expensive but they were my preference.

https://www.hyperlites.com/3way.html

The Whelens look pretty good.
I decided to go with HyperLites 3-way lights....flashing or non-flashing brakes (user selectable), signal, and running lights all in one...extremely bright.
I don't know if they are like the older HyperLite pods that I have (purchased several years ago) but there is no comparison in brightness between them and the LIN3. I finally was able to figure out one DIP switch setting on my flasher that gives me 3 flashes and a solid - but I"m going to be ordering one that does a strobe effect and then solid, as the flashes are not that noticeable.

I'll try to post a video soon to show how the HyperLites look. I am not sure how to compare these to Whelens or others, but it's very difficult to look directly at the lights when they are flashing. I am surprised at how bright they are actually.

At the end of the day, it's good there are options out there for very bright LED rear lighting, low current draw solutions.

I'll try to post a video soon to show how the HyperLites look. I am not sure how to compare these to Whelens or others, but it's very difficult to look directly at the lights when they are flashing. I am surprised at how bright they are actually.
Oh, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the HyperLites. In fact, I'm thinking about pulling them off my trailer (which I used with the GoldWing) and putting them on the FJR. Probably as extra running lights to the rear.