Lithium Ion Booster Packs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I have been looking at Lithium Ion booster packs (jump starters) to carry with me on the bike. (I posted about this recently as part of a reply in another thread but it got buried.) For me, one of these would serve a dual purpose.
They are compact and lightweight devices that are fully capable of starting your motorcycle (or even a full size car) if the battery is dead.
They have adequate capacity to serve as a charging device for electronics while on the road. This is especially attractive to me because I do a fair amount of motorcycle camping and there is always a multitude of items that need power (phone, tablet, e-reader, Bluetooth speaker, iPod, flashlights, camera batteries etc.). The booster pack can be recharged on the bike while riding. Or charged via 110V using an adaptor.

There are HUNDREDS of available devices out there - Amazon and eBay, not to mention a bunch of other retailers. I am looking for recommendation from someone who has one of these compact and highly portable units. rbentnail recommended one made by Antigravity (Model XP-3) in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GT2FUB2?tag=vs-powersports-convert-amazon-20

The same company makes an XP-10 with higher capacity (and price).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQ5Z5F2?ref=emc_b_5_i

Antigravity apparently also makes a pretty neat small compressor for inflating tires.
https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-AG-MSA-9-Tire-Inflator/dp/B00VM7LB9Y/ref=pd_sim_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00VM7LB9Y&pd_rd_r=87ETMY0RT2WYZWMEN5B5&pd_rd_w=8Uja4&pd_rd_wg=3UeV5&psc=1&refRID=87ETMY0RT2WYZWMEN5B5

A couple of points:
Apparently, there have been issues with sellers providing counterfeit knockoffs that do not perform like the original brand (Antigravity apparently had this issue).
Also, you have to be very careful in choosing based upon capacity in ampere hours. The capacity will tell you how long you can crank an engine or how many electronic devices you might be able to charge. Capacity for a MC battery may be 12 ampere-hours @12 volts (6 cells). Some of these devices are rated at a given amp-hr based upon a single cell (3.7 V). It is important to know what you are getting!! Lithium batteries for automotive applications are typically four three series cell units so a 10 ampere-hour device might only be 2.5 3.3 amp-hr @ 12 V nominal. Watt-hour rating would be more useful and unambiguous.

For my application, I am looking for the following:
High quality lithium battery - a lot of crap out there although generally better than a few years ago.
15 ampere-hour capacity minimum (@ 3.7 V)
2 x USB outlets (high capacity)
Cigarette lighter socket outlet (to power low wattage inverter to run camera battery charger or AA/AAA battery charger) Unless, of course, it has a 110VAC (low capacity) as part of the package.
SAE output (or adaptor) to power tire inflation pump or other devices.
SAE input to charge the booster pack from the bike
Alternate input to charge via 110 VAC
Booster cable output (of course)
"Adequate" CCA. Whatever that might be (200 A?, 600 A?)
Display providing voltage or state-of-charge would be nice
Smaller and lighter is better although capacity (and possibly robustness) will come at the expense of larger size and weight.
Need to have all of the appropriate fittings and adaptors.
The Antigravity XP-10 covers most of this but at a cost of $170 or so. At least they have a reasonable reputation...

These things are a great idea, whether you need them as a portable power source or not. I am going to get one but wanted to see what others have had and would recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one, always in one of the panniers. On the FJR specifically, I find that the clip-on battery terminals provided are a real PITA to use, so I have used a locally available quick connect plug meant for trailers/campers with leads that are permanently attached to my battery and the quick connect plug is easily accessible (stashed behind panel C) without the need to remove even panel D to reach the battery.

I see that Antigravity do sell a similar type of connector they call the Clampless Starting Harness, I would suggest buying one of those too.

71HFD1PR-6L._SL1500_.jpg

It looks like they have a few different, not intercompatible types so be careful which one you pick based on the jumpstarter unit you buy.

51bl2zj%2BRrL.jpg

Not my world, however, I did buy one at costco some time back. It is a WINPLUS and I wanted the small jump starter aspect, it has other assets and has performed well as a jump starter (Chev. 1 ton dually with 454 (7.?), holds charge well. www.winplus.com 2usb output ports, a 2.1A and a 1.0A. Has a 15V1A input with both an AC and a DC charging hookups.

Not my world, however, I did buy one at costco some time back. It is a WINPLUS and I wanted the small jump starter aspect, it has other assets and has performed well as a jump starter (Chev. 1 ton dually with 454 (7.?), holds charge well. www.winplus.com 2usb output ports, a 2.1A and a 1.0A. Has a 15V1A input with both an AC and a DC charging hookups.
Is it this one from Winplus?

https://winplus.com/usa/products/5-in-1-jump-starter/

Not as compact because of the lantern. Looks like a decent unit but doesn't cover all of my needs. Thanks.

I agree that there is a lot of crap on the market, and I've had a cheaper unit go tits up on me before (when I actually needed it
sad.png
. This unit seems quite decent so far and you can pick one up for about US$75.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AERPRO-AP60003L-JUMP-STARTER-KIT-19980MWH-COMPACT-PORTABLE-320A-HIGH-POWER-/172079142434?epid=1461420722&hash=item2810b75622:g:wxwAAOSwzhVWqTmT

Jump starter kit 19980mwh Compact Portable, High power Jump Start solution.

• Compact portable and high powered
  • 320A peak current for vehicles up to 3 Litres
  • Capacity 19980 mWh output
  • 12V 1.8Ah Lithium Cobalt battery
  • Premium jump start protection cables with colour status LED’s
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • Short circuit/surge protection
  • Overcharge/discharge protection
  • Fully insulated battery clamps
  • High power 2.4A USB charging socket
  • Able to charge smartphones, tablets, cameras and other digital devices via USB port
  • LED torch with emergency beacon strobe and SOS flashing patterns
  • Includes both AC charger & 12V charger
  • Full charging time 3-4 hours
  • Holds charge for 1 year
  • Protective rubber case
I use this quick connector as mentioned above

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Anderson-Plug-Connector-50AMP-4x-6-6mm-Cable-Lugs-Solar-Car-Power-System-/222547761701?hash=item33d0e15a25:g:MlQAAOSwJQdW~O9f

Add one of these dust covers and you're good to go.

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premium-H-5X-Dust-Cap-Cover-50-AMP-Anderson-Power-Plug-Battery-Caravn-Connector/222369154032?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have one, always in one of the panniers. On the FJR specifically, I find that the clip-on battery terminals provided are a real PITA to use, so I have used a locally available quick connect plug meant for trailers/campers with leads that are permanently attached to my battery and the quick connect plug is easily accessible (stashed behind panel C) without the need to remove even panel D to reach the battery.
I see that Antigravity do sell a similar type of connector they call the Clampless Starting Harness, I would suggest buying one of those too.

It looks like they have a few different, not intercompatible types so be careful which one you pick based on the jumpstarter unit you buy.
Is yours one of the Antigravity units or something else? The direct connection is good info but I expect (hope) I never have to actually use it to start my bike! I have found it very awkward to get any sort of clamp on the positive terminal to jump start the bike on the few occasions I had the battery run down. I generally clamp on the negative terminal and clamp the positive to a screwdriver which I hold to the positive terminal of the battery while I thumb the starter.

Edit: I see you were posting with additional info while I was typing.

Is it this one from Winplus?

https://winplus.com/usa/products/5-in-1-jump-starter/

Not as compact because of the lantern. Looks like a decent unit but doesn't cover all of my needs. Thanks.
Mine is much smaller, comes in a zippered pouch (with accessories) about 8''by12''. Lithium battery about 3/4" thick and 4'' by 6"

Note: A lot of these units are rated in terms of cranking amps or in a statement about how large a vehicle the unit can start. I figure that for motorcycle purposes, any reasonable quality jump starter will have far more than enough power to turn over the engine. I am more interested in CAPACITY than cranking amps for two reasons:

1) For me, the primary mission is as a portable power bank to keep electronics charged while on the road. Some of these units advertise that they are capable of charging a phone maybe 4x or a tablet 2x. I would prefer better, if possible.

2) The FJR is fairly subject to a flooding situation that may require extended cranking at WOT to get it going. If the booster pack doesn't have sufficient capacity, it will be of little use in this situation.

In reviewing my preferred specifications (above), I believe that the capacity is of greatest importance (after general reliability and quality manufacture). Although many of these guys market for smallest and lightest, I wouldn't mind a bit larger and heavier to get the capacity. If missing the SAE connectors or the cigarette lighter socket connector (or inverter), I could make up some appropriate adapters, if necessary. I think a claimed 18 amp-hr is the highest I have seen but (as previously mentioned) it isn't always clear at what voltage or under what conditions this is measured.

Still looking for what has worked for others.

I have the Antigravity unit that came with adapters for every notebook and cell phone known to man. I used it extensively on a camping trip to Alaska which took ten weeks and 20,000 miles. I used it frequently to charge my cell and once to start a motorhome who left his lights on all night, easy to do when it is daylight 24 hours a day but the law requires you to run your lights. Never had any issues and it was one of the best investments I ever made. If for no other reason than peace of mind. I believe the model is the XP-1. A nice feature is that I can charge everything and then use the cigar lighter on my bike to recharge the unit itself.

I have an Eliminator 750 from Canadian Tire:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-750-a-lithium-ion-booster-pack-and-power-bank-0111906p.html

It does not meet all of your requirements for connections, but I think it meets your capacity needs. It has worked well for me so far and had no problem boosting my wife's Sportster on Saturday.
I had a quick look at the CTC website and did not see any mention of capacity. Did the instruction manual specify a rating in amp-hours or watt-hours? It says that it recharges in as little as three hours from a USB port. This suggests to me that it can't be more than 3 hours x 2 amp (typical USB max capacity) x 5 V (nominal of USB) = 30 watt-hours

At 3.7 V per cell, this amounts to ~8.1 amp-hours (at most). I would be interested in what the manufacturer gives as a specification.

I have an Eliminator 750 from Canadian Tire:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-750-a-lithium-ion-booster-pack-and-power-bank-0111906p.html

It does not meet all of your requirements for connections, but I think it meets your capacity needs. It has worked well for me so far and had no problem boosting my wife's Sportster on Saturday.
I had a quick look at the CTC website and did not see any mention of capacity. Did the instruction manual specify a rating in amp-hours or watt-hours? It says that it recharges in as little as three hours from a USB port. This suggests to me that it can't be more than 3 hours x 2 amp (typical USB max capacity) x 5 V (nominal of USB) = 30 watt-hours

At 3.7 V per cell, this amounts to ~8.1 amp-hours (at most). I would be interested in what the manufacturer gives as a specification.
I'm at work now, but will dig out the info (if I still have it) when I get home and report back what I find. Typically I only use it for recharging my phone and Sena, so I don't draw heavily on the capacity.

I've been using the older Antigravity for a few years. I used it once to start the bike and on 2 other occasions to start cars. No problem. I have also charged laptops, phones, cameras etc and it has never let me down. It holds a charge for a long time.

Saw this comparison on Amazon of the AntiGravity options:
I saw the same comparison and concluded that the XP-10 was preferred because of capacity - at least in terms of the Antigravity options. It (as well as the XP-1) has 2 x USB outputs - lots of times that I need to charge two devices simultaneously. Higher peak cranking amps too but not an issue for a motorcycle engine.

Latest posts