Looking for GPS programming info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rheal

Reaction score
There was a great thread late winter and spring on doing more with your GPS:

• Using the memory card to hold your maps;
  • updating / swapping from North American to European maps etc etc

I got relatively handy (adequate) with MS Streets & trips and Garmin MapSource over the winter. I needed to program my new to me Zumo 550 with daily maps for my June, Montreal Canada --> Blue Ridge, Dragon Tail, Cherohala Skyway and return trip. I struggled but go it done with help from a buddy and forum member from Cinci.

But I have more questions and needs:

• I do not know how to maintain bigger maps on the memory card. The ZUMO 550, since my last update, can only hold Eastern & Central US and Canada, or Western & Central US and Canada. I will need both for my cross US / Canada trip probably in 2014.
  • I also would like to how to import into any Garmin a list of addresses / destination or, potentially, Points of Interest (POI) instead. Seems to me there should be functionality in MapSource to do that, but I have not found it.
  • Furthermore, I own a Garmin 1370 (or is it 1390) for car use. It has no external memory card. I will be going to Italy in September, driving some of the time, and will definitely need that GPS! So I need to be able to go from one map (NA to European) and back at will, and load in a bunch of addresses.
Thanks to anyone who can guide me to that GPS thread.

Any other guidance is also mucho appreciated!

Rheal

Fred has done some outstanding posts and tutorials on the Zumo 550. This one dealt specifically with the loading of maps LINK. A more comprehensive post Doing More With Your GPS is a good read.

There may be other posts as well. The best advise is to create a Garmin folder on the SD card and install all maps to there. You need to have Mapsource installed on your computer to be able to load the SD card. His suggestion to backup your current unit is probably smart as well.

Thanks Tom,

This should give me a good kick start.

Rheal

Fred has done some outstanding posts and tutorials on the Zumo 550. This one dealt specifically with the loading of maps LINK. A more comprehensive post Doing More With Your GPS is a good read.

There may be other posts as well. The best advise is to create a Garmin folder on the SD card and install all maps to there. You need to have Mapsource installed on your computer to be able to load the SD card. His suggestion to backup your current unit is probably smart as well.