Looking for great Roads In West Virginia, VA, TN, NC and Kentucky

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is going to sound smart-ass... but are you serious!!!?

Dude, I can tie you up in real low-land grade twisties along that route for days!

#1 question is how much time do you have?

:)

There is lots of good canned information for this area under the EOM portion of this site. HA did a good job putting together many good routes to consider.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=121136

EDIT: I just looked and it appears the link for the FJROEM.com is no longer active. There is still a lot of good information on routes, roads, and stuff in the EOM section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies everyone, it looks like tons of stuff, just curious as i have not been to the area, other than the dragon (which i have little interest in) are there any must hits?

I'll check out the EOM section. We have 3 days each direction to do 800 miles, if it wasn't for the fact that i am riding with a cruiser, I would do 6-700 the first day and poke around the other two. I might be lucky to get a 400-500 mile day out of my co rider.

...I'll check out the EOM section. We have 3 days each direction to do 800 miles, if it wasn't for the fact that i am riding with a cruiser, I would do 6-700 the first day and poke around the other two. I might be lucky to get a 400-500 mile day out of my co rider.
Riding with a cruiser co-rider changes things a lot. You can and should still do The Snake (US-421 from Bristol TN to Mountain City TN). It's a must-do. Cherohala Skyway is a must-do. Southern end of Blue Ridge Parkway is a must-do.

Hell, I just have to stop there. How much time do you have? Didn't I already ask that question???

...I'll check out the EOM section. We have 3 days each direction to do 800 miles, if it wasn't for the fact that i am riding with a cruiser, I would do 6-700 the first day and poke around the other two. I might be lucky to get a 400-500 mile day out of my co rider.
Riding with a cruiser co-rider changes things a lot. You can and should still do The Snake (US-421 from Bristol TN to Mountain City TN). It's a must-do. Cherohala Skyway is a must-do. Southern end of Blue Ridge Parkway is a must-do.

Hell, I just have to stop there. How much time do you have? Didn't I already ask that question???

I have a couple days to spare, but will be riding near Raleigh NC for one of them. Because of my riding buddy, i want to keep within maybe 60-120 miles of the freeways. Looks pretty doable.

Huh? :blink:

Why would you care how close you are to the freeway when there are so many great (non-highway) roads scattered throughout the area? Assuming that you have a required start and end point, just go into any mapping program and find the best squiggly lines that go from point A to B.

Eastern NC is jam packed with neat little roads...my rule of thumb around here is to avoid the US routes and stick to the NC & smaller routes to make the most of what's here. Found a good number of "interesting" roads up north of Lake Gaston (NE of Raleigh, close) along and on either side of the state line this past Saturday. Just over on the VA side, it appeared that the county roads were considerably narrower and a bit more twisty than those on the NC side. In any case, that area probably has enough to keep you entertained while in the Raleigh area. There's even more to the east, but hills start getting hard to come by.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it looks like tons of stuff, just curious as i have not been to the area, other than the dragon (which i have little interest in) are there any must hits?

That's good, 'cause it's closed down anyway.

The rock slide on US 129 is located between the Dragon and Happy Valley Road/Foothills Parkway. US 129 has been closed at the TN/NC State Line by Tennessee making the Dragon itself inaccessable. TDOT has posted a date of July 31 for reopening, but a bonus will be awarded the clean-up if completed by July 1.

A couple ideas:

You could pick up RT50 in Athens, WVA and head east to Rt 219N and stay at Deep Creek Lake in MD for the first leg. Just before you pick up Rt219 is the Cool Spring Store that is about the oldest general store I've ever seen. Then take RT219 south and pick up RT55 west to Rt19

Fayettville, WVA has the New River Gorge bridge to check out on RT19. Nice Holiday in Express with MC discount.

Or head over to Seneca Rocks in WVA about half way down Rt219 take RT33 east. Harmon Cabins is nice to stay at with hot tubs and nice cabins.

Head a little further sw and pick up RT421 in at least Bristol really is a must and it goes all the way east to Greensboro anyway.

If you are going to be close to Boone, NC on a Friday evening you might want to check out The Little Switzerland Inn right off the Blue Ridge Pkwy for the best Seafood Buffet. I would find a different place to stay because it's a little too pricey and old old rooms. Nice view though.

Well I hope this helps and please take pics for the ride report or it didn't happen.

Ride safe,

Keith

:yahoo: